[comp.sys.amiga] New Stuff...

root@leo.UUCP ( Big Brother) (06/06/88)

   Just came in last week, hot stuff!

   3-Demon is a 3D object modeler. Some notable features:

	 Reads objects from Sculpt 3D or VideoScape3D

	 Create objects for Sculpt 3D, VideoScape3D, Forms in flight,
	 Silver, and Gossett Graphics. (Anybody know about Gossett?)

	 Many viewing options like:

	   Colored solid, B&W shaded, wire frame, fish-eye to flat
	   perspective, Zoom, shift, view from any angle.

	 Handles hierarchical objects.

	 Numerous editing tools.

	 Selectable diffuse and specular reflection, metallicity,
	 transparency, and refractive characterisistics.

	 And I probably left a lot of other things out. 3-Demon saves
	 in its own format, which seems to be the sum total of all
	 Amiga ray tracing formats, so creating objects with 3-Demon
	 will give you the best possible object definition for the
	 most capable ray tracing programs.

   F-18 Interceptor.

	 Very realistic simulation:

	   Missles have launch sounds, flame trail, look real.

	   The plane shakes when:
		 You exceed the speed of sound.
		 Catch the wires on the carrier deck.
		 Initial power on of engines.
		 Cutting in of the after burners.
		 Etc.

       The heads up display is fantastic!

	   Lots of defensive goodies like Infrared flares, chaff,
	   Electronic Counter Measures.

	   Realistic destruction (explosions), watch planes smoke
	   into the drink.

	   Nice rendition of San Fransisco, a bit better than Jet
	   or Flight Simulator.

     To qualify for missions, you have to be able to take off
	 and land on the carrier deck.

     There are five advanced missions to be performed, like
	 chasing down a cruise missle, protecting Air Force One,
	 returning stolen F-16's, etc.

	 If anybody knows how to destroy the submersible carrier,
	 let me know!

	 The disk is not copy protected, but the game requires
	 lookup on a code wheel.

   Western European Tour Scenery Disk.

	 Covers London, Paris, and southern Germany.

	 Although I haven't tried yet, Moscow is included.

   Well, enough for now. Have fun!

   F-18 Interceptor.

jfoust@well.UUCP (John Foust) (06/10/88)

> From: root@leo.UUCP ( Big Brother)
>      And I probably left a lot of other things out. 3-Demon saves
>      in its own format, which seems to be the sum total of all
>      Amiga ray tracing formats, so creating objects with 3-Demon
>      will give you the best possible object definition for the
>      most capable ray tracing programs.

Probably?  Where should I begin?  I've been beta-testing 3-Demon for more
than six months.  The program and manual was written by Todor Faye, the
primary author of SoundScape, also from Mimetics.

3-Demon's format is triangle-based, which means 3-Demon isn't optimal for
VideoScape or Forms In Flight, which can do polygons as well as triangles.
Sculpt 3D, Silver and Gossett have only triangles.

I haven't seen the final shrink-wrapped disk, but all the versions I've
seen support only Silver 1.0, which is not polygon-based, as you might
recall.  (Instead, it has mathematically defined objects including spheres,
cones and triangles.)  Also, Silver 1.0's format is ASCII-based, which
means a reasonable-sized triangle-based object takes up about 150K on disk,
and takes about ten minutes to load or save in 3-Demon.

However, triangle-based objects in Silver 1.0 are impractical, which is one
of the reasons they made Turbo Silver.  When considering making a Silver
1.0 module for InterChange, I rendered the VideoScape "InfLoopShip" in
Silver.  It has 478 triangles.  It took about 3 1/2 hours in Silver 1.0,
and less than half as much time in Sculpt or Turbo Silver.

Turbo Silver, a $30 upgrade to Silver 1.0, is optimized for triangles,
although the 1.0 mathematical objects are retained.   It has a binary file
format incompatible with Silver 1.0.  We just released an InterChange
module for Turbo Silver.  The package includes a module that smooths
objects for Phong-shaded programs such as Turbo Silver and VideoScape 2.0.

>      Handles hierarchical objects.

Funny, the 3-Demon manual doesn't spell "hierarchical" that way.  :-)

>      Selectable diffuse and specular reflection, metallicity,
>      transparency, and refractive characterisistics.

To a point.  For Sculpt 3D, you must enter a magic number into a gadget
instead of selecting Shiny, Mirror or whatever as you do in Sculpt itself.
So you enter 130 to get Smooth Mirror, which is 128 plus 2.  For textures
in other programs, you set ambient light, diffuse, specular, metallicity,
reflection, transparency and refractive characteristics.  The manual
explains what these settings are, but doesn't really explain how these
become textures in other programs, so you're pretty much left in the dark
as to how things are going to look in your favorite program.

As for Forms In Flight format, 3-Demon has limitations, too.  It only
converts the first 32 colors used in an object.  So if you load an object
from another format, the colors could get screwed up.  InterChange, by
comparison, chooses the most popular 32 polygon colors, and remaps the rest
to those.  The InterChange Forms In Flight can also match palettes between
objects.

>      Create objects for Sculpt 3D, VideoScape3D, Forms in flight,
>      Silver, and Gossett Graphics. (Anybody know about Gossett?)

Gossett is named for Phil Gossett, a sometimes Mimetics employee.  He
designed their ReaSyn frame buffer.  He has some kind of custom rendering
machine in his bedroom, and he plans to someday offer a rendering service:
you send him an object and he renders it in high res for you.  So that's
why Gossett format is there.  Maybe the rendering service will ship when
ReaSyn does.  I guess we could call Gossett "WYSIWYGE", (whizzy-wiggy), for
"what you see is what you get elsewhere."  You can't see it until he
renders it.

> From: page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page)
> How much memory does this take?  Somehow I don't think putting I/O for
> a zillion formats into a 3D-modeler is the way to go (or is this a

The 3-Demon executable on disk is 189K, the Workbench said 189K was used to
load the program.  Is that too much?

I think this is one of the biggest advantages of the InterChange system.  I
could name about six more 3D products coming in the next six months, all
with different formats.  How fast is Mimetics going to update 3-Demon to
handle these formats?  (Related trivia question:  How long did it take
Todor to produce the SoundScape Utilities Disks?)

I noticed a few other problems with 3-Demon.  It loads VideoScape objects
incorrectly.  Severely wrong, depending on the polygon.  I reported this in
my beta-testing, to no avail.  The manual doesn't mention this feature of
its translation.

3-Demon needs to convert VideoScape's complex polygons to triangles in the
equivalent shape.  3-Demon starts at one vertice and starts cutting
triangles, which means the letter "C" turns into a scallop shell, because
it cuts triangles across the concave bay of the "C".  When InterChange
converts "C" to Sculpt or Silver, the "C" looks like it should.

My partner in Syndesis, Harriet Maybeck Tolly, wanted to see what this
problem meant in practical terms, using the alphabet objects from the
VideoScape disk.  She said 3-Demon converted the objects correctly, as long
as you don't want to use the letters A, B, C, D, E, G, J, K, L, M, N, O, P,
Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y or Z.  (In other words, these letters were
translated as various kinds of Tar Monsters.  Only F, I and H were OK.)

Also, 3-Demon is copy-protected with a "look up a word" scheme.

jfoust@well.UUCP (John Foust) (06/18/88)

Geez, I thought I'd get a response or two from my posting about
3-Demon.  I'd like to hear more experiences from 3-Demon owners.
Or for that matter, from InterChange owners out there in netland.

If we can start a thread going again on 3D programs, I'll
have a better chance of finding a place to start talking
about our new products without it sounding like a true
commercial announcement.

John

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (12/27/90)

Another question among the "hardware wanna-be" thread:  are the proper
lines passed on the A500 expansion slot to create an A2320
(deinterlacer) circuit?

And another... why doesn't the A590 provide a pass through?

And another, more involved, possibly redundant question:  why can the
custom chips not be redesigned/improved to run faster than 7MHz?  Cost?
Technology? NTSC compatibility?

=     plummerd@uregina.ca or plumme@hercules.uregina.ca (BITNET)      =
=---------------------------------------------------------------------=
= Amiga__                     | Make it possible for programmer's to  =
= __  ///  IBMUBMWEALLBM4IBM  | write code in English and you'll soon =
= \\\///                      | discover that programmers cannot      =
=  \XX/                       | write in English.                     =

David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer
Domain: David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Standard Disclaimers Apply...

In <1038.277C32DA@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>, David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
>Another question among the "hardware wanna-be" thread:  are the proper
>lines passed on the A500 expansion slot to create an A2320
>(deinterlacer) circuit?

No.

>And another... why doesn't the A590 provide a pass through?

This is a two part question. The first part is "Why?". People always ask that
question, and have, since the beginning of humanity. The best philosophers have
been unable to definitively answer it, and the discussion of the attempts to do
so are beyond the scope of this newsgroup.

The second part of this question is "Doesn't the A590 provid a pass through?"
The answer to this part is easier. No, it does not provide a pass through.

<sorry, couldn't resist>

Seriously, the A500 was designed to fit a particular niche, at a substantially
lower cost. It was not meant to be as expandable as the 2000 or 3000. Adding a
pass through would violate the spec that CBM mandates for the expansion
connector.

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (01/09/91)

In article <2442@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <1038.277C32DA@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>, David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
>>And another... why doesn't the A590 provide a pass through?
>
>Seriously, the A500 was designed to fit a particular niche, at a substantially
>lower cost. It was not meant to be as expandable as the 2000 or 3000. Adding a
>pass through would violate the spec that CBM mandates for the expansion
>connector.

Just to clarify the point about violating specs.  I'm pretty sure that
passing the bus through wouldn't necessarily be violating the spec.
(at least not the specs I have), but that it *would* add significantly
to the cost.  Buffers and associated logic, plus connector and FCC
problems make it a fairly expensive proposition.

>-larry

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

In article <2253@shodha.enet.dec.com> ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) writes:
>In article <2442@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <1038.277C32DA@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>, David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
>>>And another... why doesn't the A590 provide a pass through?

>>Adding a pass through would violate the spec that CBM mandates for the
>>expansion connector.

>Just to clarify the point about violating specs.  I'm pretty sure that
>passing the bus through wouldn't necessarily be violating the spec.

Well, you can ask for trouble one way or another.  If you buffer the pass-
through, you have a good chance at voilating the timing parameters expected
by the next SOTS box.  If you don't buffer the passthrough, you'll definitely
violate the bus loading.  There's no proper way to support passthrough.  If
you want more than one add-on, get a machine with a backplane (or add one
to your SOTS edge machine).

>Buffers and associated logic, plus connector and FCC problems make it a
>fairly expensive proposition.

FCC problems do, certainly, increase with any passthrough.

>>-larry

>  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation

	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley