[comp.sys.amiga] HELP. Need diskette torture tester for finding bad disks.

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/04/91)

Yes, like most folks, I'm occasionally tempted by lower cost disk
deals and have about 5 boxes of off-brand specials. For the most part,
I've had good luck, but have occasionally have been bitten rather
badly. The AmigaDOS format command seems to be virtually useless for
finding bad sectors (I'd be very interested to know what it means when
it says "verifying") and I've been racking my fish archive looking for
something that REALLY formats and verifies a disk. Sure, disks can go
bad at any time, but I'd like to at least weed out the initially bad ones
and/or be able to verify whether or not a disk has truly "gone bad" before
I give it the old heave-ho.

Can someone help this poor fool?

					Jordan

--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (01/05/91)

In article <JKH.91Jan4013822@bambam.pcs.com>, Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> Yes, like most folks, I'm occasionally tempted by lower cost disk
> deals and have about 5 boxes of off-brand specials. For the most part,
> I've had good luck, but have occasionally have been bitten rather
> badly. The AmigaDOS format command seems to be virtually useless for
> finding bad sectors (I'd be very interested to know what it means when
> it says "verifying") and I've been racking my fish archive looking for
> something that REALLY formats and verifies a disk. Sure, disks can go
> bad at any time, but I'd like to at least weed out the initially bad ones
> and/or be able to verify whether or not a disk has truly "gone bad" before
> I give it the old heave-ho.

If you want something for free, try DiskSalv. While it doesn't format
(you will have to use the DOS Format cmd for that), it will read
every block on the disk.

QuarteBack Tools also has a function to check a disk's blocks (and
attempt to recover any files that contain them, if you want).

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) (01/06/91)

In article <JKH.91Jan4013822@bambam.pcs.com> jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

>Yes, like most folks, I'm occasionally tempted by lower cost disk
>deals and have about 5 boxes of off-brand specials. For the most part,
>I've had good luck, but have occasionally have been bitten rather
>badly. The AmigaDOS format command seems to be virtually useless for
>finding bad sectors (I'd be very interested to know what it means when
>it says "verifying") and I've been racking my fish archive looking for
>something that REALLY formats and verifies a disk. Sure, disks can go
>bad at any time, but I'd like to at least weed out the initially bad ones
>and/or be able to verify whether or not a disk has truly "gone bad" before
>I give it the old heave-ho.

>Can someone help this poor fool?

Well, this old fool here seems to think that the AmigaDOS format command
REALLY does format and verify just fine.  As a person who seems to attract
a good portion of the bad disks out there, I have found that if AmigaDOS format
says a disk is bad, it is.

What I think it means to verify is that the format command writes data from a
buffer in memory to a track on the disk, then it reads the just-written data
back into another buffer in memory and compares the two buffers.  If they match,
it was a good write.  If not, some error occured.

I also use a pd backup program called TurboBackup, version 1.00, (22 Apr 88),
written by Steffen Stempel and Martin Kopp, that is the fastest disk copier
(non-copyprotected) I have used.  It takes about 105 seconds to copy with
verify.  There is no non-verify copy option.  This program seems to me to be
as good as AmigaDOS format in catching bad sectors.

I have tried another program called BFormat (don't know the author) which
porported to format disks with bad sectors.  It did this by first determining
which sectors were bad, and then marking the sector bitmap as used for all
the tracks with bad sectors.  However, I found that the bad disks I formatted
with BFormat would not store files reliably, but all would fail eventually.

davego@polari.UUCP                                   Dave G. Oliphant
"Just where is dave going, anyway?"                  (206) 325-5669
2d ACR - Always Ready! (I'm with you guys)           send the scouts out

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/08/91)

davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) writes:

>In article <JKH.91Jan4013822@bambam.pcs.com> jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
>I have tried another program called BFormat (don't know the author) which
>porported to format disks with bad sectors.  It did this by first determining
>which sectors were bad, and then marking the sector bitmap as used for all
>the tracks with bad sectors.  However, I found that the bad disks I formatted
>with BFormat would not store files reliably, but all would fail eventually.

I regallary use Bformat, (I like the comand syntax better then format}
and if it finds a bad block (sector?) it;ll mark it as used..
however.... My main problem with disks is DUST..
so Bformat will mark the "bad" sector, then the dust particial/hair/ect
will have moved to a diffrent place the second time i run the program..

I have found that if ya run bformat about 3 times and get no errors then
the disk is darn good. (Silly i know) of late i've been having mega-disks
going bad. (Bummer)

what i want is a disk-copy program that'll copy from df0: (Or df1:) to RAD:
without me having to type return and not bothering to varaify RAD:
(To speed it up)

Well just my .02$
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

warren@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Warren Burnett) (01/10/91)

/ hpindda:comp.sys.amiga / yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) / 12:34 pm  Jan  7, 1991 /
davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) writes:

>In article <JKH.91Jan4013822@bambam.pcs.com> jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
>>I have tried another program called BFormat (don't know the author) which
>>porported to format disks with bad sectors.  It did this by first determining
>>which sectors were bad, and then marking the sector bitmap as used for all
>>the tracks with bad sectors.  However, I found that the bad disks I formatted
>>with BFormat would not store files reliably, but all would fail eventually.
>
>I regallary use Bformat, (I like the comand syntax better then format}
>and if it finds a bad block (sector?) it;ll mark it as used..
>however.... My main problem with disks is DUST..
>so Bformat will mark the "bad" sector, then the dust particial/hair/ect
>will have moved to a diffrent place the second time i run the program..

As I remember, this was discussed about a year or so ago.  I believe that
this is unreliable because AmigaDOS reads and writes entire tracks, not
just individual sectors.  When a sector gets changed, the entire track is
re-written starting from wherever the disc is rotationally.  So a given
sector will not always reside at the same physical location on its track.
Simply marking a sector as used will not guarantee that the bad area on the
disc will never be written to.

           Warren Burnett
           warren@hpindda.cup.hp.com