[comp.sys.amiga] Need help setting up UUCP

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (01/08/91)

	I'm trying to get UUCP Plus with arn and dmail running to recieve
news & mail from here at brahms.  After doing the required assigns, mounts,
etc, I edited the various configuration files and triedto get uucico working.
I had problems connecting, apparently because it was waiting for the
ogin: & sword: strings to be sent but for some reason didn't recognize them.
I ended up just throwing in a bunch of delays at the beginning of each
response (i.e ' "" \d\ddon "" \d\d(password)'.... and it finally connected.
However, connect is all it did.  I started DNet after uucico exited but
before the connection broke off & found myself in my home directory just as
if I had logged on normally.  No unusual processes were running and my
history file didn't indicate that anything special had been run (at least not
through the login shell).  I had posted a test article in arn and run
"sendbatch -c brahms" to prepare it for sending, but it didn't.
	Are there any fairly common mistakes that cause this behavior, or any
likely problems?

	Another question: I used Dmail before connecting to send a test message
to a friend @brahms.  I got a "no palias database found" message, and the
logfile indicated "all addresses unknown."  I started trying to figure out the
domain/map stuff.  I got the map file for DE from comp.mail.maps and ran
createmap.  It said "Can't get there from here:" and listed every entry
in the map file.  I tried playing around with a domain file but wasn't sure
what I was doing.  I also tried changing my domain setting in uulib:config
to .udel.edu and .udel (also used the default .UUCP).  Any ideas where I'm
going wrong here?  (I suppose I should go read some of the "news" newsgroups
to familiarize myself with how these systems are interconnected...)  I have
a feeling it's something in my domain file that needs to be added/changed
before the createmap will do me any good.

	A rather naive question I should have asked first: can UUCP simply be
run from my account on brahms, or is there some special setup/login on the
Unix side that needs to be handled to add my node name to a list of newsfeeds
somewhere?  The rather skimpy UUCP+ docs don't seem to indicate either way
for sure...

Thanks for any help!

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (01/10/91)

In article <17334@brahms.udel.edu> don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
[ ... ]

>	A rather naive question I should have asked first: can UUCP simply be
>run from my account on brahms, or is there some special setup/login on the
>Unix side that needs to be handled to add my node name to a list of newsfeeds
>somewhere?  The rather skimpy UUCP+ docs don't seem to indicate either way
>for sure...

 The UUCP+ docs don't cover setting up the other end of your UUCp link (it
would be different for every machine/OS). You do need a special account
on brahms. Under UNIX, the account must have uucico as the login shell instead
of csh/ksh, or whatever. It usually is a special account name as well, so
that the permissions are right.

>Thanks for any help!
>

>--
>  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
>  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.
>    here.               DISCLAIMER:  It's all YOUR fault.

_MY_FAULT_? No way, man...

ben@epmooch.UUCP