[comp.sys.amiga] Ease of Amiga Vision

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (11/18/90)

     Well, I finally got around to test driving my copy of Amiga Vision today.
WOW is all I can say!  Talk about smooth!  Talk about easy to use!  The manual
seems to be fairly well written and works well with the tutorial.  After
about 10 pages of reading, with illustrations and two tutorial flows, I was
ready to put together an AmigaVision flow of my own, it's that easy!  I have
been playing the public domain Star Trek game for a few days now, it was
written using The Director, and it would seem to me that The Director must not
be completly Workbench 2.02 compatible as the game will occasionally Guru and
it never releases all of it's resources when it finishes, so you have to
reboot.  Anyway, I needed some files for my flow so I grabbed them from the
Star Trek game, and in less than 10 minutes I had all the sound effects for the
game in a simple flow that would sequentially play all the sounds, elapsed
time: less than 1 hour!  This program does all the work for you!  And it
multitasked well too, during the entire developement process I had Handshake
downloading the pbmplus.zoo file.  No problems whatsoever, AmigaVision
replayed digitized sounds and voices flawlessly.  The Star Trek opening music
was too long to fit into memory with Handshake but AmigaVision politely
informed me, rather than locking the system or Guruing.  It would be so easy
to rewrite the Star Trek game using AmigaVision I'm tempted to try it just
as a learing exercise.  This is one powerfull program, but don't take my word
for it, try it for yourselves.  :)

                                 --George

P.S.:  Only Amiga(Vision) makes it possible!  ;)

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
> This is one powerfull program, but don't take my word
>for it, try it for yourselves.  :)

And you only need THREE Megs (recommended) to use it! Isn't that great?

Does anyone else think that Amigavision looks like a HOG? Ok raise your
hands, how many of you have 3 megs or more? one, two, three, .....
Hmm I only see about 10-15% of Amiga users having that much memory.

WHY WHY WHY??? CanDo seems to do almost as much as AmigaVision and it works
just fine with 1 Meg. How well does AmigaVision work with just 1 meg?

Not that I really care that a program uses that much memory, especially
if it has lots of features, but I was under the impression that the
reason AmigaVision was developed was to give Amiga Owners a simple and
easy to use programming environment. something that would become a standard
and every Amiga owner would have and could use, Like HyperCard is on the
Apple. But I doubt that that many Amiga owners will have 3 Megs of memory
or more any time in the near future.

And I wish it had a compile mode, so you could make stand alone programs
that anyone could run, and not have to have AmigaVision to run it. CanDo
can do that, also.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (11/24/90)

In article <3672@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>And you only need THREE Megs (recommended) to use it! Isn't that great?
>just fine with 1 Meg. How well does AmigaVision work with just 1 meg?

	Well, I have a 3000 with the basic 2 megs, so that means at boot
time I have about 1.5 megs, and I always have the Empire server and one
client running, which, with all the buffers and overscanned WB I use,
leaves me about 700k, and I can use AmigaVision just fine.
>And I wish it had a compile mode, so you could make stand alone programs
>that anyone could run, and not have to have AmigaVision to run it. CanDo
>can do that, also.
	I wish it could do that too, and I wish it had a better way to
print out the files, so you could recreate a flow from the printout. But
the compile feature of CanDo is really pretty useless. If you make a
standalone version of a program the program will be over 100k, no matter
how small it is.

			Dave

manes@vger.nsu.edu (11/25/90)

In article <3672@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>> This is one powerfull program, but don't take my word
>>for it, try it for yourselves.  :)
>
> And you only need THREE Megs (recommended) to use it! Isn't that great?

They recommend 3 megs, but depending on your reliance on graphics it
only needs 2 megabytes to 'author' a AmigaVision program.

> Does anyone else think that Amigavision looks like a HOG? Ok raise your
> hands, how many of you have 3 megs or more? one, two, three, .....
> Hmm I only see about 10-15% of Amiga users having that much memory.

I have 3 megs... hand is raised!

> WHY WHY WHY??? CanDo seems to do almost as much as AmigaVision and it works
> just fine with 1 Meg. How well does AmigaVision work with just 1 meg?

Because they are not the same program, nor do they do the same things.

Cando has a rotten user interface, you get lost in a maze of twisty menu's
all alike, further you *must* learn a script language in order to make
proper use of it.

If you are just running a lesson, AmigaVision works fine in 1 meg.

> Not that I really care that a program uses that much memory, especially
> if it has lots of features, but I was under the impression that the
> reason AmigaVision was developed was to give Amiga Owners a simple and
> easy to use programming environment. something that would become a standard
> and every Amiga owner would have and could use, Like HyperCard is on the
> Apple. But I doubt that that many Amiga owners will have 3 Megs of memory
> or more any time in the near future.

Where did you get that impression?  To me, AmigaVision is a answer to
the multimedia needs of the professional.  It has direct control for
Laser Disk as well as Dbase III support, neither feature that CanDo has.

I think that the more the user gets into 'his/her' amiga, the more
memory they will have.  Certainly has worked that way for most of the
folks that I know.

> And I wish it had a compile mode, so you could make stand alone programs
> that anyone could run, and not have to have AmigaVision to run it. CanDo
> can do that, also.

CanDo, produces psuedo-code like stuff.  You still need the Cando.library
or you need to compile it in.  You mean to say you wish AmigaVision hid
the fact that it is a 'interpeter' like CanDo does.

I have both programs, CanDo, though interesting will not work with databases,
nor does it appreciate laser disks.  I believe that each product answers
a different marketplaces problems.

I see no comparison.

> --
> John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
> sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
> A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (11/26/90)

In article <3672@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>WHY WHY WHY??? CanDo seems to do almost as much as AmigaVision and it works
>just fine with 1 Meg. How well does AmigaVision work with just 1 meg?

As I've seen AmigaVision on the Amiga90 fair it uses about 600K
fast memory + 40K chip memory for the screen. This leaves about
200K free on a 1Meg machine for your data so I won't use it for
displaying animations on a 1Meg machine but slideshows, user
interaction and sound should be possible on a 1Meg machine if
you don't care that each part has to be loaded from disk.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (11/26/90)

     When people are asking to be able to compile AmigaVision modules, I
see their point.  What if I design an application with AV that I wish to
distribute to the general public (say, perhaps, a geography quiz program
that combines digitized speech, graphics, and a database).  I can do this
only so long as the general populace has AmigaVision, which (for reasons
already posted) is not the case.
     Is there any way to have AmigaVision generate a SCRIPT that will just
call the appropriate sound/graphics/video/dbase files as long as those
files are present in the same directory or can be located.  This would make
distribution of the finished product far easier.  As it is now, I forsee
people sending copies of AmigaVision with their application (ILLEGAL copies!)
just so their clients/the end users can even USE the application.
     This is a dangerous situation that could inhibit the production of
excellent products on an otherwise wonderful authoring program!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "It's so neat to |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | see an AMIGA say |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |   "Welcome to    |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   Macintosh""    |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  | ---- AMIGA ----  |

manes@vger.nsu.edu (11/27/90)

In article <90329.182907DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu>, DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>      When people are asking to be able to compile AmigaVision modules, I
> see their point.  What if I design an application with AV that I wish to
> distribute to the general public (say, perhaps, a geography quiz program
> that combines digitized speech, graphics, and a database).  I can do this
> only so long as the general populace has AmigaVision, which (for reasons
> already posted) is not the case.

I think at the very least Commodore should consider a 'runtime' module
for AmigaVision.  I too, have the same problem in distributing my
work.  Of course, I could always just sell AmigaVision to them, and
that certainly would not be bad!

> /---------------------------------------------------------------------\
> | -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "It's so neat to |
> | -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | see an AMIGA say |
> | -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |   "Welcome to    |
> | --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   Macintosh""    |
> | Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  | ---- AMIGA ----  |
> \---------------------------------------------------------------------/

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (01/10/91)

>In article <3672@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>> This is one powerfull program, but don't take my word
>>for it, try it for yourselves.  :)

sorry, you aren't right, if own the original amigavision and it runs fine
with 2 megs and also on 1.5 megs of ram.

>And you only need THREE Megs (recommended) to use it! Isn't that great?
>John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
>sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
>A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

--
              - Josef Egloff  --  Amiga Usergroup Switzerland
   -> cbmehq!cbmswi!augs1!jegloff@cbmvax.com  -> josef@augs.ccs.imp.com