[comp.sys.amiga] Imagine Question

caleb@cbmtor.uucp (Caleb J. Howard) (01/09/91)

Hello there graphics lovers.
I'm running Impulse's Imagine software on my Amiga.  In the somewhat thin
documentation it says that it is possible to use an IFF picture to define
relief (altitude) on an object.  I have selected the seemingly appropriate
parameters and cannot get this feature to work as I think it should.  It
seems only to do a low grade colour mapping.  Does anyone know what I'm
missing?  I have to do a lot of animation in the next week or so, and I
really think that this feature could add a lot to my finished results.
Any hints or clues will buy the bearer passage to the afterlife of his/her
choice.
Any further action on getting an Imagine mailing list newsletter going?
Many, many gratuities in advance.
-caleb
What makes virtual reality 'virtual', and real life 'real'?

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (01/10/91)

In article <460@cbmtor.uucp> caleb@cbmtor.uucp (Caleb J. Howard) writes:
>I'm running Impulse's Imagine software on my Amiga.  In the somewhat thin
>documentation it says that it is possible to use an IFF picture to define
>relief (altitude) on an object.  I have selected the seemingly appropriate
>parameters and cannot get this feature to work as I think it should.  It
>seems only to do a low grade colour mapping.

1. Make sure that you select "Altitude" instead of "Color" in the
   brush requester.

2. Use a grayscale instead of various colors.  Bright will not change
   the change the vector, while dark will create a depression or dent.
   (I hope I didn't get the bright/dark mixed up)

3. Use small patterns rather than large ones.  The bump mapping does
   not create a physical depression in the object but rather affects
   the appearance through shading.  Don't expect large letters to look
   as if stamped into a surface; use bump mapping for altering the
   appearance of a texture, to make something like cloth, an orange,
   perhaps carpet, or wood grain -- all fairly small, fairly regular.

>Any hints or clues will buy the bearer passage to the afterlife of his/her
>choice.

One for Nirvana, please.
And cheers,

 ._.  Udo Schuermann        "How is American beer similar to making love in
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu    a canoe?" -- "Both are f***ing close to water."