[comp.sys.amiga] Word Perfect - is it compatible with MS DOS/Windows version?

m14961@mwunix.mitre.org (Duncan Thomson) (12/28/90)

Does anyone know if Word Perfect for the Amiga is compatible with
Word Perfect Version 5.0 for MS DOS/Windows?  By compatible I mean
can I create a file with one and then read it and continue to edit
it with the other, with no problems?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  My decision to buy Word
Perfect depends on the answer to this question.

Duncan Thomson
(m14961@mwunix.mitre.org or thomson%fluky@mwunix.mitre.org)

By the way, what is the latest version of WP for the Amiga?

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (01/10/91)

In article <127465@linus.mitre.org> m14961@mwunix.mitre.org (Duncan Thomson) writes:
>Does anyone know if Word Perfect for the Amiga is compatible with
>Word Perfect Version 5.0 for MS DOS/Windows?  By compatible I mean
>can I create a file with one and then read it and continue to edit
>it with the other, with no problems?

Amiga WP is overall v4.2 compatible.  It will read WP 5.0 documents as
long as they have been SAVED as 4.2 documents.  WP 5.0 provides this
feature through CTRL-F5.  Note that you lose a few nice features of WP
5.0 that way, including the printer-specifics, fonts, etc.  If you
wait with the final formatting until the end, you won't have any
difficulties.

I do not know for sure if WP Corp is working to get Amiga WP up to 5.1
My own decision to buy WP for my Amiga hangs on _that_ answer.

 ._.  Udo Schuermann        "How is American beer similar to making love in
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu    a canoe?" -- "Both are f***ing close to water."

higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS) (01/10/91)

In article <127465@linus.mitre.org> m14961@mwunix.mitre.org (Duncan Thomson) writes:
$Does anyone know if Word Perfect for the Amiga is compatible with
$Word Perfect Version 5.0 for MS DOS/Windows?  By compatible I mean
$can I create a file with one and then read it and continue to edit
$it with the other, with no problems?

WordPerfect for the Amiga does not incorporate all of the features
in version 5.0 under MS DOS.  However, you can certainly export
files from the Amiga version and load them into the MS-DOS version.

Going the other way can leave codes in the document that the Amiga
version doesn't understand, but that can easily be edited out (I
did this once).

	Paul.