[comp.sys.amiga] ProPage 2.0

bla@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Binesh Lad) (11/28/90)

I recently saw a two page advert for Professional Page 2.0.

Does anyone have any details of release dates and/or upgrade prices ?

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (12/05/90)

In article <BLA.90Nov28104035@expya.cs.exeter.ac.uk>, bla@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Binesh Lad) writes:
> I recently saw a two page advert for Professional Page 2.0.
>
> Does anyone have any details of release dates and/or upgrade prices ?

Upgrade mailing received yesterday from Gold Disk asks for $75/US ($90/Cdn) to upgrade
from V1.3 or $100/US ($120/Cdn) from V1.0, V1.1 or V1.2.

Appears to be "announced" - "released" is not so clear.  They do say "Please
allow 4 to 8 weeks for delivery".  Note too they have an extra special offer of
free a disk of clip art and templates good until January 31, 1991 which just
about coincides with the back end of the 4 to 8 weeks.

Bob Hassinger
hassinger@lmrc.UUCP
508-435-9061

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (12/05/90)

How many of you got your PP2.0 notices?

Were you thuroughly (sp) impressed?

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (12/05/90)

In article <6084@crash.cts.com>, seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

> How many of you got your PP2.0 notices?
>
> Were you thuroughly (sp) impressed?
>
> Sean

>   UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
>   ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
>   INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
>                                     // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
>   HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |

	Well I was'nt exactly jumping with joy. I was aware of the
	enhancements in 2.0 before I received the upgrade notice.
	Rotateing text/graphics? Is'nt the code for doing that
	already in ProDraw 2.0? (Just bring it over to ProPage 2.0 right?)

	What else, TAG's probably very usefull for heavy users.
	Big fonts? Well, if I ever need 725pt type, then OK....

	So personally, importing 24bit graphics is the best
	improvement.
	But $75.00 for the upgrade?
	When are we going to see things like trapping and masking?
	If Gold Disk seriously want to compete with the Mac world
	of DTP, it had better get on the ball and start coming out
	with features that have been out for a long time on the Mac.
	Now that would be usefull, at least to me.

kaye@FSCORE.dec.com (Mark Kaye - Where's my Kama Sutra pop-up book for Zero-G) (12/05/90)

In article <9123@lmrc.uucp>, hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes...
>In article <BLA.90Nov28104035@expya.cs.exeter.ac.uk>, bla@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Binesh Lad) writes:
>> I recently saw a two page advert for Professional Page 2.0.
>>
>> Does anyone have any details of release dates and/or upgrade prices ?
>
>Upgrade mailing received yesterday from Gold Disk asks for $75/US ($90/Cdn) to upgrade
>from V1.3 or $100/US ($120/Cdn) from V1.0, V1.1 or V1.2.

Strange that their add in the latest AmigaWorld states if you bought PPage after 1-aug-1990, then
the upgrade to PPage2.0 is free. I talked to Gold Disk at the show in Toronto & they quoted the
CDN$120 (PPage 1.2) even tho i pointed out i purchased it after the stated date!
I'll argue, but not sure how far i'll get.

Mark Kaye		|		|				|
Box 72, Munster Hamlet	| 613-838-3580  | kaye@fscore.dec.com		|
Ontario, Canada K0A 3P0	|		| DEC fscore::kaye or kaye @kao	|

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (12/06/90)

In article <9123@lmrc.uucp>, hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes:

> Upgrade mailing received yesterday from Gold Disk asks for $75/US ($90/Cdn) to upgrade
> from V1.3 or $100/US ($120/Cdn) from V1.0, V1.1 or V1.2.
>
> Appears to be "announced" - "released" is not so clear.  They do say "Please
> allow 4 to 8 weeks for delivery".  Note too they have an extra special offer of
> free a disk of clip art and templates good until January 31, 1991 which just
> about coincides with the back end of the 4 to 8 weeks.
>
> Bob Hassinger
> hassinger@lmrc.UUCP
> 508-435-9061

Could you please tell us ALL the details how to get this upgrade? How to pay,
shipping/foreign extra, what you need to send them (diskettes, manual
covers?) etc etc! There is some registered PPage users (like me;-) which Gold
Disk has for some peculiar reason left out of support (I registered my PPage
over two years ago: no upgrade offers, no answers to numerous letters...).

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (12/08/90)

PPage 2.0 will be shipping next week according to Tech
Support Dec 6th. I asked whether some of the memory
bugs would disappear in the new version. Apparently the
missing 60-100k would stop but I cant remember if the
memory needs for printing would be improved.

Some one said that more (Mac) features should be added.
What features are missing-- I am curious. I think PPage 2.0
will print in landscape mode.

Also, could someone explain why this program needs so much
chip memory for printing? THanks
Joanne
.

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (12/11/90)

In article <4162.275e22fe@cc.helsinki.fi>, ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> In article <9123@lmrc.uucp>, hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes:
>
>> Upgrade mailing received yesterday from Gold Disk asks for $75/US ($90/Cdn) to upgrade
>> from V1.3 or $100/US ($120/Cdn) from V1.0, V1.1 or V1.2.
>
> Could you please tell us ALL the details how to get this upgrade? How to pay,
> shipping/foreign extra, what you need to send them (diskettes, manual
> covers?) etc etc! There is some registered PPage users (like me;-) which Gold
> Disk has for some peculiar reason left out of support (I registered my PPage
> over two years ago: no upgrade offers, no answers to numerous letters...).
>   Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,

Sorry, my copy of the notice has gone off to the people who send off the checks
so I don't know when/if I will get it back to post here.

I know a lot of people have had problems with Gold Disk on upgrades.  I think
maybe they have had some sort of SERIOUS record keeping problems along the way.
In general I have called them to follow up on updates and that has worked best.
That might not be easy from Helsinki so I would recommend as second choice to
contact them by mail.

Since the update order form did not ask for serial numbers, manual pages, etc.
I suspect their system depends on having you on file to qualify for the update
so you need to be sure they have you in their data base.  If you write, send
them whatever you can in the way of serial numbers, when you bought it and when
you registered it.

Bob Hassinger

sam@ms.uky.edu (Mike Mills) (12/12/90)

I'm rather irritated with Gold Disk.  I bought 1.2 just a month before the
release of 1.3, and yet never received my free upgrade (and yes, I did call
them.)

That means that since I have 1.2 it will cost me $100 to upgrade as opposed
to $75 (which is what it would have cost if I had gotten my 1.3 upgrade.)
Actually, I think everyone should be entitled to at least ONE free upgrade,
no matter what the timespan between releases.

Furthermore, $75 and $100 is rather steep.  I paid $275 when I bought it
the first time.  I think that I (and everyone else) is entitled to lower
upgrade costs.

--
|  Mike Mills (aka "Sam")             | sam@ms.uky.edu  mike@ukpr.uky.edu  |
|  (606) 255-3583                     |             BIX:  mike...             |

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/10/91)

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes:

>In article <BLA.90Nov28104035@expya.cs.exeter.ac.uk>, bla@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Binesh Lad) writes:
>> I recently saw a two page advert for Professional Page 2.0.

I just got at a "Disk Sale" pagesetter (an OLD version 1.1e) for $25
by Gold disk, and i just sent in my registeriation card.

Are they still supporting this program? I have no idea whi it was $25
(Seems a Good buy)

How does Professional Page Differ. Page setter is "rather" simple/primitive.
But i kinda like that.

---
What this country needs is Good Cheap Software!
		- G. Bush

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still