[comp.sys.amiga] UUencode

C475141@umcvmb.missouri.edu (BRIAN WHITMAN) (10/04/89)

They are out of computing resources here so guess what they decided to
purge files off my reader.  Problem is that I had not received uuencode
off of my reader.  So could some kind soul please send it to me again.
I would appretiate it very much.

Brian E Whitman

Please send to UC475141@UMCVMB.Bitnet       UC475141@UMCVMB.Missouri.edu

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (10/02/90)

Once again, netland comes through. I have had many, many responses, all of
which were valuable. I now have a working UUdecode, and my life is much
easier. Thanks to all who responded!

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/07/90)

[ #include dumb joke here. ]

Hello,
       I have a question about the uuencode that is provided with the
various versions of the Amiga uucp software.  The help line prints:

Usage: uuencode [infile] remotefile

It doesn't seem to have an option to write the output to a file.  I've
tried using redirection (>) and pipes, but it simply hangs when I do
these things.  How do I get the output to a file?

                           Thanks,

to the output file.

--

                                                Jim Pritchett

UUCP:  texsun.central.sun.com!letni!rwsys!caleb!jdp
 or    letni.lonestar.org!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

In <10121.AA10121@caleb>, jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
> [ #include dumb joke here. ]

Q: Why did the punk rocker cross the road?
A: He had a chicken stapled to his cheek.

>Hello,
>       I have a question about the uuencode that is provided with the
>various versions of the Amiga uucp software.  The help line prints:
>
>Usage: uuencode [infile] remotefile
>
>It doesn't seem to have an option to write the output to a file.  I've
>tried using redirection (>) and pipes, but it simply hangs when I do
>these things.  How do I get the output to a file?

It works fine with redirection. Remember though, that unless you are running a
shell that supports placing the redirection operator anywhere on the line, that
you must place the redirection as the first thing after the command.

So, you've just put a bunch of stuff in a temp file called T:foo.zoo, and you
want to uuencode it such that it extracts as Wonderprog.zoo ...

uuencode >file.to.be.mailed t:foo.zoo Wonderprog.zoo

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/07/90)

In article <10121.AA10121@caleb>, jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
> [ #include dumb joke here. ]
>
> Hello,
>        I have a question about the uuencode that is provided with the
> various versions of the Amiga uucp software.  The help line prints:
>
> Usage: uuencode [infile] remotefile
>
> It doesn't seem to have an option to write the output to a file.  I've
> tried using redirection (>) and pipes, but it simply hangs when I do
> these things.  How do I get the output to a file?

The proper format is:

UUENCODE >OUTFILE INFILE OUTFILE

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

black@beno.CSS.GOV (Mike Black) (10/07/90)

In article <10121.AA10121@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>Hello,
>       I have a question about the uuencode that is provided with the
>various versions of the Amiga uucp software.  The help line prints:
>
>Usage: uuencode [infile] remotefile
>
>It doesn't seem to have an option to write the output to a file.  I've
>tried using redirection (>) and pipes, but it simply hangs when I do
>these things.  How do I get the output to a file?

uuencode takes input from stdin if no infile is given.  This allows it to
be used as a pipe.  The remotefile is the name you wish it be be when it
is uudecode'd (usually the same name).  The output of uuencode will appear
on stdout, so you must redirect to a file is you wish (or pipe it).

i.e.:

uuencode >uuencode.uu uuencode uuencode

Will encode uuencode as uuencode and put the output in uuencode.uu (how
incestuous :-)

Mike...

: usenet: black@beno.CSS.GOV   :  land line: 407-494-5853  : I want a computer:
: real home: Melbourne, FL     :  home line: 407-242-8619  : that does it all!:

jdmst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John D Morris) (01/10/91)

	Can someone please tell me where to find (if one exists) a UUdecoder
for the amiga?  I have a limitted log time on one system, but not on another,
so if I could send files by E-mail, it would be benificial to my wallet.
						thanx
						jdmst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu