[comp.sys.amiga] New Newsgroups

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (06/14/90)

I think that it would be a good idea to start a few new Amiga newsgroups.
How about

comp.sys.amiga.comm    (communications things: Ethernet, TCP, DNET, NFS, etc)
comp.sys.amiga.os      ( OS topics, Multitasking, scheduling algorithms, etc)
comp.sys.amiga.graphics  (you get the idea)

This would help ease the load of reading since comp.sys.amiga seems to
be a catch all right now.

			Thanks, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 662-1506

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (06/14/90)

In article <2633@zipeecs.umich.edu>, gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin)
says:

>I think that it would be a good idea to start a few new Amiga newsgroups.
>How about
>
>comp.sys.amiga.comm    (communications things: Ethernet, TCP, DNET, NFS, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.os      ( OS topics, Multitasking, scheduling algorithms, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.graphics  (you get the idea)

Here's a good strategy for creating new groups.  Try to identify some topic
that is intensely interesting to the people who contribute to it, yet
uninteresting to many others.  Split that topic out as a new group.

Personally, though I agree that c.s.a gets a lot of traffic, I don't see
any topic that I would categorically skip.  I don't read c.s.a.hardware,
though, or c.s.a.games.  Those subgroups worked good for me.

                                                            lee

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (06/14/90)

In article <2633@zipeecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>I think that it would be a good idea to start a few new Amiga newsgroups.
>How about
>
>comp.sys.amiga.comm    (communications things: Ethernet, TCP, DNET, NFS, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.os      ( OS topics, Multitasking, scheduling algorithms, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.graphics  (you get the idea)
>
>This would help ease the load of reading since comp.sys.amiga seems to
>be a catch all right now.
>
>			Thanks, Ralph
>
>gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
>gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
>gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET
>
>Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type

I think it would be a very bad idea to start more amiga newsgroups.
The porblem Ralph, is that many of us would have to convice reluctant sysops to
accept these new amiga newsgroups. It took me months of haggling just to get
comp.sys.amiga. Every new newsgroup would just be that much Amiga info that alot
of people would miss out on. In your instance, alot of people would never be able
to post or read stuff on communcations things, OS topics and or Amiga graphics.
I also thing that these technical/SIG news groups would waste alot of bandwidth,
because whenever there was an interaction between groups, say .comm and .graphics
for X11 or .graphics and .os for screen interupts, there would be a lot of logical
cross posting.

Yes, comp.sys.amiga gets alot of different articles. But we can just list the
headers and skip the ones we don't want to read. This is a small inconvienience
compared to greatly reduceing the distribution of Amiga Info and wasting
bandwidth. Three for one little computer is enough.

Charlweed Hymerfan (A Major Dude)

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/15/90)

In article <2633@zipeecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>I think that it would be a good idea to start a few new Amiga newsgroups.
>
>comp.sys.amiga.comm    (communications things: Ethernet, TCP, DNET, NFS, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.os      ( OS topics, Multitasking, scheduling algorithms, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.graphics  (you get the idea)
>
>This would help ease the load of reading since comp.sys.amiga seems to
>be a catch all right now.

If anything, comp.sys.amiga.video might be nice.  I don't think c.s.amiga.games
was such a good idea, really - I mean, yes, it's good to have so much of the
games stuff off the main newsgroup, but on the other hand no other computer
has a game group of it's own... kinda sets the Amiga apart in perhaps a way it
shouldn't be distinguished.  Oh, well, maybe it's just my paranoia.

If there's any response to this suggestion of a Video-related newsgroup, I'll
see if I can make a serious application for it.

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Amiga UUCP node: ...!uunet!isis!nyx!orac!bscott  Else: bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|
|"Don't embarrass us..."  "Have I ever?" - Buckaroo Banzai  | *AMIGA POWER* |
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

martens@boa.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (06/16/90)

In article <2633@zipeecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:

>I think that it would be a good idea to start a few new Amiga newsgroups.
>How about

>comp.sys.amiga.comm    (communications things: Ethernet, TCP, DNET, NFS, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.os      ( OS topics, Multitasking, scheduling algorithms, etc)
>comp.sys.amiga.graphics  (you get the idea)

I'm not sure the OS group would bleed that much off, or even be well
defined in the mind of Joe User.  Maybe the graphics group should be
called "video" or somesuch.

>This would help ease the load of reading since comp.sys.amiga seems to
>be a catch all right now.

Another thing that would be nice would be if people would start
actually using comp.sys.amiga.games.  There's still a lot of game
stuff cluttering comp.sys.amiga.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Chemlawn, trademark, suburban distributor of toxic chemicals.

In article <1304@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

>If anything, comp.sys.amiga.video might be nice.  I don't think c.s.amiga.games
>was such a good idea, really - I mean, yes, it's good to have so much of the
>games stuff off the main newsgroup, but on the other hand no other computer
>has a game group of it's own... kinda sets the Amiga apart in perhaps a way it
>shouldn't be distinguished.  Oh, well, maybe it's just my paranoia.

Actually, this is false:  take a look at comp.sys.mac.games.  Or don't
(I didn't).

>If there's any response to this suggestion of a Video-related newsgroup, I'll
>see if I can make a serious application for it.

I'd vote for it.
-=-

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (06/16/90)

 Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> I think I'd still vote for the new groups (especially one I wouldn't
> read...) on the grounds that this would help most people and hurt just
> a few (such as, unfortunately, yourself).

How would these new groups really help?  A busy newsgroup is really less of
a nusience than a thick nespaper. It is so easy to to hit one key to skip
articles. When you cut back on the distribution of the net, then you are also
missing out on info that unreached people can provide. Also, new groups will
NOT apprecably decrease volume on comp.sys.amiga. Specific sub groups will just
 be a trickle. Even more importantly, crossposting will insure an INCREASE in
volume. Just look at comp.sys.amiga.hardware. Over half are crossposed to
 comp.sys.amiga, and/or comp.sys.amiga.tech. And a lot of the stuff on those
 groups should be on comp.sys.amiga. (Such as your posting to comp.sys.amiga.tech,
and Raplh's posting to csa.tech AND csa!)

>Another thing that would be nice would be if people would start
>actually using comp.sys.amiga.games.  There's still a lot of game
>stuff cluttering comp.sys.amiga.

 Well, I am sure that most people post to csa about games, for the same reason I
do, they have no acess to csa.games. Really, how can you justify to a sysop to
 allocate ANY diskspace to CSA.games? If the syetem is for business or research
 like mine, then it makes no sence to allocate resourses for such a purpose.

And with that in mind, I don't think that such people such as myself are "a few".
Alot of people are on commerical or research systems, and don't have big, rich
universities handing out gigabytes of free disk space.
In other words, there are ALOT of people who get the pain, and all for no real
gain.
Like I said, three newsgroups are enough for one little computer.

Charlweed

OPMANOJ@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (06/16/90)

How about a newsgroup called ......

comp.sys.amiga.tetris_clones

:-) :-) :-),
Manoj Patel

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/17/90)

In article <81397@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <1304@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>Actually, this is false:  take a look at comp.sys.mac.games.  Or don't

Golly!  Apparently we don't get that here or something, I've never seen it.
Anyway, mea culpa.

>>If there's any response to this suggestion of a Video-related newsgroup, I'll
>>see if I can make a serious application for it.
>
>I'd vote for it.

OK, there's one...

If anyone is interested in a newsgroup like comp.sys.amiga.video (or even,
if necessary, alt.amiga.video) send me mail and if I get significant response
I'll find out what's necessary to present it for a vote (I have a rough idea).

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Amiga UUCP node: ...!uunet!isis!nyx!orac!bscott  Else: bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, or call the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|
|"Don't embarrass us..."  "Have I ever?" - Buckaroo Banzai  | *AMIGA POWER* |
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Phil@hpd.UUCP (H Phil Duby) (06/26/90)

[...deleted...]
>The group comp.sys.amiga.market would be cover subjects pertaining to the
>buying and selling of amiga hardware, softwere, and peripherals.
>
>Possilbe subjects might include.
>
>1) Vendor experience
>   a) "I saw a real good price on X at dealer A.  Is A a good dealer?
>   b)  Quality of service, knowlege from vendors
>2) Educational pricing, other marketing info from Commodore

This does not apply world wide.  Handle by everybody setting the distribution
line correctly. :-)

>3) Marketing, support tactics of various software and hardware companies.
>   a) is the add misleading?
>   b) was warrenty servies good?
>4) the amiga market from the supplier view-point
>   a) Should I go comericial with program X?
>   b) who is a good company to deal with?
>
>Also it would be a natural group to post for sale items and related subjects.
>(There was a posting to news.groups earlier asking for a good place fore these)

A new group has recently been created for this.  misc.forsale.computer

>Let's hope it goes better this time.  Last time I posted (as ..amiga.marketing)
> it was pulled into a flame war.

Lot's too many of those :-((

>   /*/Eric Edwards  c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu or c506634@umcvmb.bitnet/*/
>  /*/ "Sir, you are an excellent star ship captain /"We come in peace, /*/
> /*/  but as a taxi cab driver you leave much to  / shoot to kill"    /*/
>/*/  be desired" - Spock, "A Piece of the Action"/  --"Star Trekkin'"/*/

                                       Phil

H. Phil Duby, Assistant librarian for AMUC (AMiga Users of Calgary)

USEnet: hpd!phil.uucp@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca

AMUCexpress BBS - 40meg PD Software (403) 240-2560/2085 3/12/24 bps

jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (07/04/90)

	I perform nitty-gritty programming on the Amiga (i.e. DOS devices).
My single largest problem has been obtaining information on AmigaDOS
internals. Most of what I know how to do came from hours upon hours of trial
and error. The rest of it came from an article that appeared in Amazing
Computing covering AmigaDOS packets. Now I have a different project and
for the first time I've decided to use file handles. Unfortunately, but
not unusual, I do not have any comprehensive material on this topic. Cer-
tainly there must be a reference manual by now that covers stuff like
this. I don't care about how to use AmigaDOS commands, I want to know
how file handles, locks, etc interact. Please, if anyone knows of a good
source, hopefully absent of the BS most publishers call AmigaDOS refer-
ence material, tell me and if possible where it can be had.

						Thanks much,

							Jeff

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (01/11/91)

I am seeing many references to various new newsgroups that I can
not read. I have added them to my .newsrc, but the newsreader
says there's no such thing. Whose chain must I pull to make these
new newsgroups available to me? When C.S.A goes away, I will
be out of news.

Alan
whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii