[comp.sys.amiga] A simple question about 3.5" disks.

IO00844@MAINE.BITNET (Zero Batzell) (12/07/90)

On what track is the directory located on a 3.5" disk? (Having had experience w
ith 5.25" disks before upgrading to an amiga, I DO know that the directory on a
 5.25" disk is located on track 18.).  Also, I am interested in any other infor
mation having to do with the internals of 3.5" disks.         (((ZERO)))

lron (12/27/90)

In article <90340.142716IO00844@MAINE.BITNET>, Zero Batzell writes:

> On what track is the directory located on a 3.5" disk? (Having had experience w
> ith 5.25" disks before upgrading to an amiga, I DO know that the directory on a
>  5.25" disk is located on track 18.).  Also, I am interested in any other infor
> mation having to do with the internals of 3.5" disks.         (((ZERO)))

Well, on the C64 the directory track on the 5.25" disk was on track 18.  Neither
the old Amiga Dos file system nor the newer FFS system have directory tracks.
Directory tracks limit the maximum number of files a drive can have as well
as the fact if that track get's canned you loose all the data on this disk while
the Amiga it is possible to run a program like Disksalve and get back most
everything that wasn't on the physically damaged area of the disk.  When dealing
with the Amiga just think LINKED LIST and everything kinda falls into place.

CDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDBDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3 Dwight Hubbard                     3 USENET  : uunet!easy!lron             3
3 Kaneohe, Hawaii                    3 GT-Power: 029/004              (lron) 3
3                                    3 CFR     : 31:910/101 (Dwight Hubbard) 3
@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/03/91)

In article <90340.142716IO00844@MAINE.BITNET>, IO00844@MAINE.BITNET (Zero Batzell) writes:
> On what track is the directory located on a 3.5" disk? (Having had experience w
> ith 5.25" disks before upgrading to an amiga, I DO know that the directory on a
>  5.25" disk is located on track 18.).  Also, I am interested in any other infor
> mation having to do with the internals of 3.5" disks.         (((ZERO)))

It really isn't tied to the diskette itself, it's the file system used by
the operating system that determines where directories go.  Old CP/M guys
(even with 5.25" disks) usually had the directory on the lower tracks (0
through whatever).  AmigaDOS puts the primary directory on one of the
middle tracks I think (I can't remember, I just finished a 10MB port of
non-ANSI C on VAX/VMS to 386 Unix so my brain is tapioca right now).

However, the first part of my statement is correct, the diskette form factor
doesn't determine where the directories are -- it's all the OS's job.  Heck,
on Unix, diskettes don't even NEED a directory if they're used for tar
use.  They only need them if the diskette is to be mounted as a file system.

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

bjc@smunews.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (01/10/91)

In article <1151@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>In article <90340.142716IO00844@MAINE.BITNET>, IO00844@MAINE.BITNET (Zero Batzell) writes:
>> On what track is the directory located on a 3.5" disk? (Having had experience w
>> ith 5.25" disks before upgrading to an amiga, I DO know that the directory on a
>>  5.25" disk is located on track 18.).  Also, I am interested in any other infor
>> mation having to do with the internals of 3.5" disks.         (((ZERO)))

The question was, on what track is the directory located on a 3.5" disk.  On n
an Amiga floppy, the root directory is in sector 800, which is on track 40.  The user directories can be anywhere.  You can find information about the disks
in the Bantam AMIGADOS MANUAL, and can have fun looking through the disk
with any of the disk editors available.  I prefer DISKED that is on the
developers' toolkit disk, but many others prefer DISKX or SECTORAMA.  You
should find DISKX and SECTORAMA on almost any Amiga BBS or on any of the
major information services.

Betty
Betty Clay
76702.337@compuserve.com

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/11/91)

In article <16536@smunews.UUCP> bjc@smunews.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) writes:
>In article <1151@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>The question was, on what track is the directory located on a 3.5" disk.  On n
>an Amiga floppy, the root directory is in sector 800, which is on track 40.
>The user directories can be anywhere.  [...]

Actually, I believe that the root directory can be located anywhere as well,
if you're willing to poke around in the boot block. (Not that anyone who
isn't writing a disk handler should care...)

>Betty
>Betty Clay
>76702.337@compuserve.com

Dave Schaumann		| You are in a twisty maze of little
dave@cs.arizona.edu	| C statements, all different.