[comp.sys.amiga] Gnu Emacs

mkr@philabs.Philips.Com (Michael K. Reed) (04/27/88)

	Does anyone know of GNU Emacs for the Amiga.  If so, is it a
	(somewhat) complete implementation??

				Thanx

				Mike R.   (mkr@philabs)

				 allegra \
                               steinmetz  > !philabs!mkr
				 rutgers /

dsill@nswc-oas.arpa (Dave Sill) (04/28/88)

Mike Reed writes:
>	Does anyone know of GNU Emacs for the Amiga.  If so, is it a
>	(somewhat) complete implementation??

There is no port of full GNU Emacs to Amiga.  Such a port would be a
major effort since the code is very UNIX-specific.  In addition, it is
something of a resource hog: it requires much disk space, processor
time, and memory.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.

"We must remove the TV-induced stupor that lies like a fog across the
 land."
					-- Ted Nelson

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/29/88)

Michael K. Reed poses the following dream:

>         Does anyone know of GNU Emacs for the Amiga.  If so, is it a
>        (somewhat) complete implementation??

I wish.  As long as I can wish for a GNU Emacs port for the Amiga, I
might as well wish it could have full Intuition support too.

If my Amiga had a hard disk and another meg or two of memory, I might
think about trying to port it.  But I'm not in that situation, so...

In reality, I suspect that once MG gets customizable to the point
where I can write a C mode, a Lisp mode and a Shell mode for it, I'll
be happy.

Has anyone else thought about porting GNU Emacs to the Amiga?  Now
that there are many Amigas out there with megs of memory to burn,
running GNU Emacs doesn't seem like an impossiblity.

		--M

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/01/88)

In article <sWRz6Uy00Xo=I3z3RG@andrew.cmu.edu>, mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
> Michael K. Reed poses the following dream:
>
> >         Does anyone know of GNU Emacs for the Amiga.  If so, is it a
> >        (somewhat) complete implementation??
>
> I wish.  As long as I can wish for a GNU Emacs port for the Amiga, I
> might as well wish it could have full Intuition support too.
I have been using something called MicroGNUEmacs that I got out of a Fish
disk (ask your local users group for this). I don't know how complete it
is, but seems similar to the Emacs on{a pyramid.

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (05/02/88)

in article <sWRz6Uy00Xo=I3z3RG@andrew.cmu.edu>, mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) says:
> In reality, I suspect that once MG gets customizable to the point
> where I can write a C mode, a Lisp mode and a Shell mode for it, I'll
> be happy.
>
> Has anyone else thought about porting GNU Emacs to the Amiga?  Now
> that there are many Amigas out there with megs of memory to burn,
> running GNU Emacs doesn't seem like an impossiblity.

A better dream might be to port "jove". My (admittedly-hacked) Jove is almost
indistinguishable from GNU Emacs, except for the lack of an "undo" command and
true Lisp extensibility. It already runs on IBM PC's and Macs, so an Amiga
port isn't too off-the-wall. Only big problem might be that Jonathon Payne
hates to comment, so it's a real payne making mods to the code (of which I had
to make several, just to make it run under Sys V.2 -- hopefuly fixed in the
new version just posted).

The lack of an "undo" means that I don't use it when I have GNU available,
but, considering that GNU & all its support files takes up over 8 megs of disk
space (Pyramid 90x), I think I'll pass on Amiga GNU...

--
    Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET    Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191
    ihnp4!killer!elg                 Lafayette, LA 70509

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/03/88)

> *Excerpts from: 2-May-88 Re: GNU Emacs Eric Green@killer.UUCP (1353)*

> A better dream might be to port "jove". My (admittedly-hacked) Jove is almost
> indistinguishable from GNU Emacs, except for the lack of an "undo" command and
> true Lisp extensibility.

True Lisp extensibility is the one big feature missing from all Emacs-like
editors that run on the Amiga.  And it's really the only important feature.  MG
is just fine otherwise.

> considering that GNU & all its support files takes up over 8 megs of disk
> space (Pyramid 90x), I think I'll pass on Amiga GNU...

if you don't keep all the Lisp and C source online and you get rid of the
support files that your average Amiga user will have no need for (the
terminal-specific support stuff, FTP, telnet, RMail, netnews, Fortran Mode, etc
etc),  I suspect that GNU Emacs on an Amiga would occupy only a fraction of the
space it would require on a multi-user system, where the needs of all users
must be accounted for.

                                --M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu         BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"Memories are uncertain friends, when recalled by messages" -- OMD, "Messages"

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (05/03/88)

In article <cWTCW=y00Xo1AFGV0F@andrew.cmu.edu>, mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) says:
>True Lisp extensibility is the one big feature missing from all Emacs-like
>editors that run on the Amiga.  And it's really the only important feature.  MG
>is just fine otherwise.

IF by ``true lisp extensibility'' you mean the ability to write very powerful
macros, then I think Rokicki's addition of AREXX to MG probably achieves the
same functionality more efficiently.  The main inefficiency is that I (you,
them) have to learn AREXX.  Oh, well.

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (05/05/88)

In article <cWTCW=y00Xo1AFGV0F@andrew.cmu.edu>, mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) says:
>True Lisp extensibility is the one big feature missing from all Emacs-like
>editors that run on the Amiga.  And it's really the only important feature.  MG
>is just fine otherwise.

	MicroEMACS 3.9e (distributed last September) provides an
extensive and easy to learn macro language on the Amiga.  Macroes are
also VERY portable to other machines which can run MicroEMACS (Including
IBM-PC, Atari ST, BSD 4.3, Unix V, and a lot of MSDOS boxes).  The
upcomming release (version 3.10) which is due early fall also will
support the mouse on the AMIGA.

				Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
				UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
				ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
(MicroEMACS 3.9 lives here ->)	FIDO:	1:201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (07/22/89)

FYI.

..bob
----
From: roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st,gnu.emacs
Subject: GNU-Emacs 18.51 for Atari ST (TOS) posted to comp.binaries.atari.st
Date: 17 Jul 89 20:39:48 GMT

Today i have submitted my port of GNU Emacs for Atari ST computers to the
atari binaries group. The port has been done with gcc V1.30 . The only missing
features are those related to multitasking/multiuser environments like
asynchronous processes. 'call-process' is implemented through system()-calls.
With the help of bert@sbsvax.uucp (Norbert Reithinger) we have also an
implementation of dired written with emacs functions.
The executable program runs on 1MB of memory but more is recommended.

- Edgar

rex@otto.lvsun.com (Steve Slade) (08/06/89)

the following message was posted by rex@otto.lvsun.com (Steve Slade),
from my account (me being Rex Jolliff). I don't necessarily believe
in his views, but I feel he should be allowed to participate in this forum
    -----

	I am wondering if there is a port of gnuemacs and where I can
get a copy of it for my Amiga.  And, what the difference between them
is.  also how can I get arp 1.3 to reboot of the RAD: device?

				Steve Slade

elessar@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenneth E. Lareau) (09/11/90)

   I've heard quite a bit about it lately, so I'm curious...is this GNU
Emacs everyone has been talking about a complete port for the Amiga? How
does one obtain this? I'd be interested in seeing what it's like, whether
it takes 3 minutes to boot up or not. Any info would be greatly appre-
ciated.

  Ken Lareau
  elessar@pawl.rpi.edu

lhoward@esunix.UUCP (Larry Howard) (01/12/91)

Does anybody know where I can get the latest version of Gnu Emacs for
the Amiga via FTP?  Also, what is the latest version?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Larry

--
{ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!esunix!lhoward
* It is astonishing that a collection of statements that are individually