[comp.sys.amiga] Will A3500UX have a 68040?

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (01/08/91)

I have heard a rumour that says that the Amiga 3500UX will have a 68040
25MHz instead of the 68030 and 68882. Is this true?

If the price will remain the same, this is good. I wonder what did
contribute to making this decision (if it is true)... :-)

			Jouni

			- A NeXT owner in a month or so.

sysop@insider.zer.sub.org (01/11/91)

> I have heard a rumour that says that the Amiga 3500UX will have a 68040
> 25MHz instead of the 68030 and 68882. Is this true?

I don't think so. The price for the 040 is just a bit too high in the
moment. Additionally, putting an 040 in the 3x00 would lead to a total
re-design of the motherboard. So, IMHO, No chance... Also, I suppose C=
would probably increase the model number by more than 500... so, let's wait
for the 4000... (maybe in two years... ;-) :-( )

---
   SysOp @ INSIDER    --    Cn nybdy rd ths ? Thn cll m fst !

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/12/91)

In article <9101100918.26.489@INSIDER> sysop@insider.zer.sub.org writes:

>> I have heard a rumour that says that the Amiga 3500UX will have a 68040
>> 25MHz instead of the 68030 and 68882. Is this true?
>
>I don't think so. The price for the 040 is just a bit too high in the
>moment. Additionally, putting an 040 in the 3x00 would lead to a total
>re-design of the motherboard. So, IMHO, No chance... Also, I suppose C=
>would probably increase the model number by more than 500... so, let's wait
>for the 4000... (maybe in two years... ;-) :-( )
>
>---
>   SysOp @ INSIDER    --    Cn nybdy rd ths ? Thn cll m fst !

  Sorry, but this sounds wrong. Dave Haynie himself, not to mention
countless other CBM reps and Amiga experts have said that the Amiga3000's
CPU slot can handle an 040, and was designed with the 040 in mind.
Come on, the 040 had already been announced WHILE they were designing
the A3000, it would be clear to me (if I were designing a computer) to
make it upward compatible with a new CPU revision that had been announced.
While the 040 may not be surfaced mounted to the motherboard of the 3500
(I'm not saying it couldn't, but the RAMsey and other chips may have to
be tuned to a new clock speed.), I have no doubt that 040 cards will be
availible as soon as 040 starts shipping in large quantities (and the price
falls.). Third Party manufacturers have already announced 040 cards
(Fusion 40, Supra's,etc), no doubt, they are waiting for their 040 orders
to be fulfilled.

  Then again, Commodore may surprise us in a few weeks with the release of
CDTV, A3000UX, A3500 with 040, and OS2.0 in ROM. (yes, please surprise me!)