[comp.sys.amiga] hst modems

darcy_otto@canrem.uucp (darcy otto) (01/08/91)

-> I've just upgraded to the new USRobotics 14400 V42bis HST modem. I'm having
-> problems downloading and uploading using V42bis (38400 baud)

I've been thinking of purchasing a HST, but I am confused about the different
types.  Since you seem to know whats going on, could you explain to me what the
differences are between the different HSTs?

(Me) - Sysop of Amiga Blue International - Amiga UseNet GateWay for Toronto
       UseNet Address: darcy.otto@canremote.uucp
---
 ~ QNet 2.04: (UseNet) Amiga Blue International (Toronto) (416)231-9944
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (01/11/91)

darcy_otto@canrem.uucp (darcy otto) writes:

>-> I've just upgraded to the new USRobotics 14400 V42bis HST modem. I'm having
>-> problems downloading and uploading using V42bis (38400 baud)

>I've been thinking of purchasing a HST, but I am confused about the different
>types.  Since you seem to know whats going on, could you explain to me what the
>differences are between the different HSTs?

>(Me) - Sysop of Amiga Blue International - Amiga UseNet GateWay for Toronto
>       UseNet Address: darcy.otto@canremote.uucp
>---
> ~ QNet 2.04: (UseNet) Amiga Blue International (Toronto) (416)231-9944
>--
>Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
>NorthAmeriNet Host

Well first I'll comment on the first problem. Since I missed the original
article I dunno what his problems are but there is no way he can do file
transfers at 38.4k baud. When it says that v42/v.42bis allows for up to 38.4k
baud it means that you can send stuff to the modem from the computer at 38.4
and the modem can handle it. But the modem will still send the data over the
phone llines at 14.4k baud. Actually a little faster due to the MNP stuff &
v.42 stuff... More like 16000-17000 baud. (hence cps rates of 1650 or so).

To the second person: USRobotics makes 2 HST modems. the 14.4k HST w/
v.42/v.42bis & the 14.4k Dual Standard modem with v.32/v.32bis (for connecing
at high speeds to v.32 modems) and v.42/v.42bis for the HST standard.
The differences are that the 14.4k HST can only connect at high speeds with
other HST modems. The Dual Standard can connect with both HST modems & v.32
modems at high speeds (9600-14400 baud). So it is just a matter of whether
you want that extra compatability (and can afford it. It almost doubles the
price) but in the Amiga world it seems that HST is the predominate standard.
BTW you should contact USR about their sysop modem deal, since you mention
that you are a sysop. It is a significant savings over mail-order...

I do not work for USRobotics, BTW...

Tabor Wells
twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

|------------------------------------| "Life. You're born. You live. You  |
|	Tabor Wells		     |   go on some diets. You die.       |
|	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu	     |	        			  |
|------------------------------------|		-Bloom County		  |			  |

lron@easy.hiam (Dwight Hubbard) (01/12/91)

In article <1142@pdxgate.UUCP>, Tabor Wells writes:

> lron@easy.hiam (Dwight Hubbard) writes:
>
> >In article <1118@pdxgate.UUCP>, Tabor Wells writes:
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> >> To the second person: USRobotics makes 2 HST modems. the 14.4k HST w/
> >> v.42/v.42bis & the 14.4k Dual Standard modem with v.32/v.32bis (for connecing
> >                                                         ^^^^^^^
> >                                                         HST, V.32bis hasn't
> >                                                         even been finalized
> >                                                         yet.
>
> I'd check your facts. I'm looking at the USR manual for their HST/Dual Standard
> modems. It says all over the place about having v.32/v.32bis. "Courier HST (tm)
> dual standard with... V.32bis and ASL (tm)."

Forgot about that, they began shipping the Dual Standards with the recommended
V.32bis standard last month still V.32bis isn't due to be finalized until next
month. However, I would love to get my hands on one so I can use Dnet at HST
speeds.  But at the $500 they want to upgrade mine I think I can wait a while
(besides which I would go nuts trying to use my old 2400 while a wait for them
to send back my modem)
CDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDBDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3 Dwight Hubbard                     3 USENET  : uunet!easy!lron             3
3 Kaneohe, Hawaii                    3 GT-Power: 029/004              (lron) 3
3                                    3 CFR     : 31:910/101 (Dwight Hubbard) 3
@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (01/12/91)