[comp.sys.amiga] VMS Larn

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (01/09/91)

I've pulled a file that appears to be Larn for VMS (my boss wants it for our
750), but I can't seem to figure out how to extract the files.  The file is
on ab20.larc.nasa.gov in /incoming/larn and it is called VMS_Larn12.2.BCK_Z.
Could somebody tell me what to use to extract the files?  Thanks, and sorry
for posting an unrelated topic to comp.sys.amiga

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga         /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (Commodore is starting///  *
*                              *    to know that)  \\\///   *
*                              * and it's about time\XX/    *

QUIT

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (01/11/91)

In article <9101091453.AA16495@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:

>I've pulled a file that appears to be Larn for VMS (my boss wants it for our
>750), but I can't seem to figure out how to extract the files.  The file is
>on ab20.larc.nasa.gov in /incoming/larn and it is called VMS_Larn12.2.BCK_Z.
>Could somebody tell me what to use to extract the files?  Thanks, and sorry
>for posting an unrelated topic to comp.sys.amiga

     The _Z tells you that the file is compressed (probably on a VAX but
you should be able to use Unix uncompress too).  The .BCK extension tells
you that the file is a BACKUP saveset.  To Larn more (Sorry, couldn't resist),
type "help backup" under VMS.

--

-- George L. Skank			|skank@iastate.edu
Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...|

tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca (01/13/91)

Unfortunately, I tried that already.  Compress says that the file is not in
compressed format, and VMS doesn't recognize it as a saveset.

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (01/13/91)

In article <1991Jan11.131442.15463@news.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>In article <9101091453.AA16495@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>>

>>I've pulled a file that appears to be Larn for VMS (my boss wants it for our
>>750), but I can't seem to figure out how to extract the files.  The file is
>>on ab20.larc.nasa.gov in /incoming/larn and it is called VMS_Larn12.2.BCK_Z.
>>Could somebody tell me what to use to extract the files?  Thanks, and sorry
>>for posting an unrelated topic to comp.sys.amiga
>
>     The _Z tells you that the file is compressed (probably on a VAX but
>you should be able to use Unix uncompress too).  The .BCK extension tells
>you that the file is a BACKUP saveset.  To Larn more (Sorry, couldn't resist),
>type "help backup" under VMS.

Being the one who put Larn on ab20 in the first place, I recommend this:

1) FTP to ccvax.iastate.edu (yeah, -MB-'s machine...) and get LZDCMP.EXE.
2) install that on your system.
3) Type LZDCMP VMS_LARN.BCK_Z LARN.BCK (you'll HAVE to rename it...)
4) Type BACKUP/REPLACE LARN.BCK/SAVE [.LARN]
5) Get in there and read the docs, make some changes, and when done, type MMS
   (similar to UNIX make)

Remember to get your termcap set properly.

>--
>
>-- George L. Skank			|skank@iastate.edu
>Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...|
>(not necessarily in that order)		|

--
   //   Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
 \X/  joseph@valnet.UUCP     jph@irie.ais.org          jph@ai.mit.edu