[comp.sys.amiga] Kermit BYE in latest VLT kicks me off Unix machine

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan10.045229.6584@ariel.unm.edu>, erikj@hydra.cirt.unm.edu (Erik Johannes STUDENT) writes:
> Sender: news@ariel.unm.edu (News supported software)
>

> I just got the latest version of VLT (4.846) off of Fish disk 410.
> I am running VLTjr and using the XPRKermit (ver 1.5) off of Fish Disk 330.
[...]
> When I issue the kermit bye I am thrown off of the Sun.
> I end up either back at the CDCN prompt or at the unix machine I logged
> into Sun from.  I don't think this is a Sun specific problem, more a Unix
> problem.
> 			Thanks,
> 				Erik Johannes
> 				erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu

Well, technically, the kermit "bye" command is _supposed_ to shut down the
remote Kermit server and log you out.  What several implementations of
Kermit actually did was shut down the Kermit server and exit Kermit on the
remote end (essentially a "finish/quit" sequence).  What's happening now
is that the CORRECT thing is happening.  You got used to the wrong thing
happening.  To stop the remote Kermit server, use the "finish" command.
To exit the remote Kermit, connect back to the remote system and issue
the "quit" or "exit" command at the remote Kermit's prompt.  That'll leave
you logged in, but at the Unix command prompt.
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"