[comp.sys.amiga] A3000UX

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (09/28/90)

Simple question ... is it available yet ?

I have been under the impressions that some students have them under special
liscence (GOOD MOVE C=) .. what about the general public ?

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
=Also the mantra and spells, the obeah and the wanga; the work of the wand=
=and the work of the sword: these shall he learn and teach.               =
=       He must teach; but he may make severe the ordeals.                =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.          =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (09/30/90)

        We will probably have a demo of the A3000UX in the next 2 months.
        We meet in Rutgers Hill Center every month (we are a small informal
club for hobbists, not professionals like JAUG).
        You are welcome to come see it and talk to the Commodore
representative we plan to have there that day. Shall I keep you informed? I
see you are also in NJ... can you get to New Brunswick/Piscataway OK?
 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics           ***************************
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20  *       Dan Bachmann      *
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil  *  Raritan Valley College *
Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com   ***************************
U.S.Mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (01/02/91)

Standard "naive" Question Disclaimer:  I don't own an Amiga (yet).

Does the A3000UX use a MMU to protect user processes from one another or
can an application process still trash the entire system?

Any info is appreciated,
Tom

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than
+-------------------------------------+

bn@attcc.UUCP (01/03/91)

> Does the A3000UX use a MMU to protect user processes from one another or
> can an application process still trash the entire system?

Yes, the A3000 with Unix uses the MMU on board the 68030.

Bo Najdrovsky
...att!occrsh!attcc!bn
bn@occrsh.com

johnk@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Kohanski) (01/10/91)

Yes the 3000 uses a mmu for memory managment but,  This has nothing to do with
controlling process.  The amiga operating system has been multitasking for
years on a 68000 with-out a mmu unit.
-- John Kohanski

 Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: johnk@pro-graphics.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!johnk
    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!johnk@nosc.mil

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (01/14/91)

John Kohanski says that the Amiga has an MMU, but it doesn't use it for
controlling processes, since it's been done for a while without.

Well, John, sorry to say, but the entire idea of an MMU is to control
processes.  Remember before the MMU when the OS crashed all the time?
GUess why.

- Andrew.  (EMAIL TO: aabenson@balance.cs.mtu.edu  or  aabenson@mtu.edu)
                       Do not reply to this address.

jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) (01/15/91)

In article <91014.092417AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET> AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>John Kohanski says that the Amiga has an MMU, but it doesn't use it for
>controlling processes, since it's been done for a while without.
>Well, John, sorry to say, but the entire idea of an MMU is to control
>processes.  Remember before the MMU when the OS crashed all the time?
>GUess why.

My 3000 STILL GURUs rather frequently...

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |