[comp.sys.amiga] Best desktop publisher ???

truongd@uop.edu (Dam Truong) (01/13/91)

What's the best desktop publishing program for the Amiga today?
Does it run well on an Amiga3000 with WB2.x?

Thanks,

- D Truong (truongd@uop.edu)

| -Da`m Tru+o+ng  Email: truongd@uop.edu                           |

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/13/91)

truongd@uop.edu (Dam Truong) writes:

>What's the best desktop publishing program for the Amiga today?
>Does it run well on an Amiga3000 with WB2.x?

Well avoid the Program PAGESETTER  (Note the name, page seems a common "word")
It's a "baby" program by Golddisk. Rather Primitive,old,quirky.

The only reason i have it is that it was $25/

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (01/14/91)

In article <yorkw.663781995@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>truongd@uop.edu (Dam Truong) writes:
>

>>What's the best desktop publishing program for the Amiga today?
>>Does it run well on an Amiga3000 with WB2.x?
>
>Well avoid the Program PAGESETTER  (Note the name, page seems a common "word")
>It's a "baby" program by Golddisk. Rather Primitive,old,quirky.

There is a new version out (2.0) that seems much better. Pagestream 3.0 is much
more stable than earlier versions and quite useful. Publishing Partner Pro is
the program that has the best rep. The current version being 2.x (sorry, memory
failure). Try the program out before buying it though.

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?

dege@cs.umn.edu (Dege Jeffrey Charles) (01/14/91)

truongd@uop.edu (Dam Truong) writes:

>What's the best desktop publishing program for the Amiga today?
>Does it run well on an Amiga3000 with WB2.x?

   Would it be appropriate to throw in a plug for TeX?  Nothing else is
going to approach the output quality or the versatility.  (Of course, the
learning curve is a bit steep... ;)

----------------------

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/14/91)

dege@cs.umn.edu (Dege Jeffrey Charles) writes:

>   Would it be appropriate to throw in a plug for TeX?  Nothing else is
>going to approach the output quality or the versatility.  (Of course, the
>learning curve is a bit steep... ;)

Yep, TeX is Way Powerfull and I'd say The BEST for most all purposes.
I can't (YeT) get it to do all that i ant tho.

I'm trying to do a "Page that is 2 colums" But it's kinda like this.

     +-------------|------------+
     |             |            |
     |             |            |
       (A "chart)  |  "Blank"  |
     |             |            |
     |             |            |
     +-------------+------------+
     | Text begins | and continues
     |             |            |
     |             |            |
     | and wraps   |            |
     |around automaticially     |
     |to the next Colom         |
     |Leaving the  |
     | "Blank"     |            |
     |Empty for a Picture       |
     +--------------------------+

I can do this easially with a "DTP" progam, but not so easially with TEX.

Suggestions?
(Time to post to the TEX group)
.

--

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan14.013502.26421@cs.umn.edu> dege@cs.umn.edu (Dege Jeffrey Charles) writes:

>truongd@uop.edu (Dam Truong) writes:
>
>>What's the best desktop publishing program for the Amiga today?
>>Does it run well on an Amiga3000 with WB2.x?
>>
>   Would it be appropriate to throw in a plug for TeX?  Nothing else is
>going to approach the output quality or the versatility.  (Of course, the
>learning curve is a bit steep... ;)

I've got some beginner-type questions about TeX:

  1) What software is available?  (Commercial, pd, ftp addresses...)

  2) What special hardware is required?  (Monitors, memory, printers...)

  3) Do you need a laser printer, or can you get reasonable output on a
     dot-matrix printer?

  4) Why on earth does D. Knuth say that it should be pronounced 'tek'? ;)

Many thanks in advance...

Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;
dave@cs.arizona.edu | some are the cogs on the wheels, others just plain nuts.
						-Daffy Duck.

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan14.013502.26421@cs.umn.edu> dege@cs.umn.edu (Dege Jeffrey Charles) writes:

>truongd@uop.edu (Dam Truong) writes:
>
>>What's the best desktop publishing program for the Amiga today?
>>Does it run well on an Amiga3000 with WB2.x?
>>
>   Would it be appropriate to throw in a plug for TeX?  Nothing else is
>going to approach the output quality or the versatility.  (Of course, the
>learning curve is a bit steep... ;)

Saxon Publisher is very impressive, although this new package has a few
minor bugs, industry specific problems, it should be worth lookib
forward to the upgrade.

Matt Crowd.

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (01/14/91)

I've used Pro Page 1.3 and 2.0, and Pagestream 1.8, 2.0, and 2.1 (as well as
PageMaker and Quark Express on the Mac), and PageStream 2.1 is IMHO, the
*BEST* of them all. Easy to use, feature-packed, allows more fonts than any
other (Pagestream fonts, Compugraphic fonts, Adobe fonts (!)), pretty damn
solid, and by far the best built-in structured graphics tools of any DTP
software. Imports practically ANY graphics file, including Pro Draw clips
(Pro Draw is not the hottest structured graphics program I've seen, but
that's where all the clip art is), practically ANY text file, and outputs
to ANY printer, from a fancy Postscript device to a lowly 9-pin dot matrix.

Saxon Publisher looks mighty nice, but the reviews have pointed out some
severe restrictions, and I don't really need weirdly-shaped text boxes
anyway.

Differing opinions are welcome, of course...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (01/15/91)

In article <41600@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> I've used Pro Page 1.3 and 2.0, and Pagestream 1.8, 2.0, and 2.1 (as well as
> PageMaker and Quark Express on the Mac), and PageStream 2.1 is IMHO, the
> *BEST* of them all. Easy to use, feature-packed, allows more fonts than any
> other (Pagestream fonts, Compugraphic fonts, Adobe fonts (!)), pretty damn
> solid, and by far the best built-in structured graphics tools of any DTP
> software. Imports practically ANY graphics file, including Pro Draw clips
> (Pro Draw is not the hottest structured graphics program I've seen, but
> that's where all the clip art is), practically ANY text file, and outputs
                                     *************************

Is that true? Can I import from ProWrite and Excellence? And also from MS Word
and the different (MS-DOS) versions of Word Perfect? And NOT just stupid ASCII,
but normal files with all typographical data? If that IS true, my PPage 1.3 is
for sale...;-).

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (01/15/91)

You can indeed import from Pro Write and Excellence!, as well as Word Perfect.
I do *not* know, however, if they import with all bolding, etc. already
enabled--I have been using Transcript as my text editor/word processor for
a year and a half, and I simply save its output as pure ASCII. There are
definitely import drivers for WP, E! and PW included with PageStream.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet