[comp.sys.amiga] YAAS

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) (12/17/90)

I was flipping through channels the other day when I went past what I thought
was an AmigaDos window.  I searched back to the channel and was surprised
(and very pleased) to see an AmiDos window on what is usually the Community
Calendar.  Whoever is in charge of the calendar forgot to switch the calendar
to the foreground.  The AmigaDos window was prominently displayed for about
6 or 7 hours!  What great exposure for the Amiga...

BTW, for those in Bloomington, IN it was on channel 29 (if you have TCI).

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (12/19/90)

In article <78498@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>I was flipping through channels the other day when I went past what I thought
>was an AmigaDos window.  I searched back to the channel and was surprised
>(and very pleased) to see an AmiDos window on what is usually the Community
>Calendar.  Whoever is in charge of the calendar forgot to switch the calendar
>to the foreground.  The AmigaDos window was prominently displayed for about
>6 or 7 hours!  What great exposure for the Amiga...

And on a sadder note...  I was flipping through channels the other day
(doesn't anyone with cable just pick something and WATCH it anymore?) and saw
on my cable company's preview channel:

                        +------------------------+
                        |     GURU MEDITATION    |
                        |    00000004.38383838   |
                        +------------------------+

(Okay, so I made up the address, but the error WAS #4).  This is Jones
Intercable in Lake Zurich, IL for those of you keeping track.  What impressed
me was that the preview channel display WAS STILL RUNNING!  They segment the
display into three parts.  The lower half of the screen runs a TV Guide style
list of programming on all channels for the next couple hours.  The upper
left half of the screen displays previews of the Pay-Per-View channels.  The
upper right half shows the title and time/date of the movie in the left
half.  ALL OF THIS WAS STILL FUNCTIONING!  So what was the Amiga
controlling?

Oh, wait, on closer look the upper right half wasn't displaying the title,
but another movie preview instead.  The sound matched the left-hand movie.  I
reckon the Amiga was supposed to be doing the titling.

The Guru was superimposed on the entire screen, just as if the TV was my
1084S monitor.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
The trouble with living in sin is the shortage     |        Steven King

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (12/19/90)

In article <78498@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>I was flipping through channels the other day when I went past what I thought
>was an AmigaDos window.  I searched back to the channel and was surprised
>(and very pleased) to see an AmiDos window on what is usually the Community
>Calendar.  Whoever is in charge of the calendar forgot to switch the calendar
>to the foreground.  The AmigaDos window was prominently displayed for about
>6 or 7 hours!  What great exposure for the Amiga...
>
>* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just

I've got one even better!!

One of our Community channels here in Fairport NY (Suburb of Rochester),
did something like that once.

It was dicovered by my girlfriend, Toni, in the next room while flipping
channels, she whizzed by a KICKSTART HAND on the TV saying "Oh, Brett's (me)
is just working on his computer again...hey wait a minute..."

She called me in and showed me, it was pretty funny to see that the
stations A1000 had crashed or something and was showing the INSERT
KICKSTART HAND for about 6 hours.

It's too bad their graphics really, really suck during their on air times.
I was thinking about trying to get a job with them and show them just
what they can be doing!

==Brett     ...uupsi!cci632!sjfc!bpv9073

bgriffin@mentor.com (Brian Griffin) (12/19/90)

In article <78498@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>I was flipping through channels the other day when I went past what I thought
>was an AmigaDos window.  I searched back to the channel and was surprised
>(and very pleased) to see an AmiDos window on what is usually the Community
>Calendar.  Whoever is in charge of the calendar forgot to switch the calendar
>to the foreground.  The AmigaDos window was prominently displayed for about
>6 or 7 hours!  What great exposure for the Amiga...
>
>BTW, for those in Bloomington, IN it was on channel 29 (if you have TCI).

I've seen this more then once on Columbia Cable here in Oregon.  They use the
amiga on several channels.  There is more then one Community Calendar and a
continuously scrolling TV guide which also displays a preview video of
available cable channels in the upper left corner.  There's a channel that
runs a slide show of screens with info about Columbia Cable such as upcoming
special events, an explaination of your bill, how to hook up a VCR to cable,
etc.  And there's a Pay-Per-View preview channel that displays the titles and
event numbers for PPV movies while showing a preview of these movies, again in
the upper left corner.  (can you say genlock?)

This is all done with Amigas!

>AMH
>

>* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
>* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
>*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
>*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)

--  USE STD.DISCLAIMER.ALL;                  __
--                                          /__)      . __
--  mntrgfx!bgriffin                       /___)_/-,_/_(_(_/V/_
--                                        /

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/19/90)

	You mean this is the first time you've ever seen this? Geez.
That happened to me way back in 87 when they first started the Preview
Guide. Seeing it crash anymore is a seldom occurring event.

			-Moriland

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"As if things weren't bad enough already...."| Founder of: "Evil Young

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (12/21/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: YAAS (yet another amiga spotting)
In article <1177@sjfc.UUCP> bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) writes:
>In article <78498@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>>I was flipping through channels the other day when I went past what I thought
>>was an AmigaDos window.  I searched back to the channel and was surprised
>>(and very pleased) to see an AmiDos window on what is usually the Community
>>Calendar.  Whoever is in charge of the calendar forgot to switch the calendar
>>to the foreground.  The AmigaDos window was prominently displayed for about
>>6 or 7 hours!  What great exposure for the Amiga...
>>
>>* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
>
>I've got one even better!!
>
>One of our Community channels here in Fairport NY (Suburb of Rochester),
>did something like that once.
>
>It was dicovered by my girlfriend, Toni, in the next room while flipping
>channels, she whizzed by a KICKSTART HAND on the TV saying "Oh, Brett's (me)
>is just working on his computer again...hey wait a minute..."
>
>She called me in and showed me, it was pretty funny to see that the
>stations A1000 had crashed or something and was showing the INSERT
>KICKSTART HAND for about 6 hours.
>
>It's too bad their graphics really, really suck during their on air times.
>I was thinking about trying to get a job with them and show them just
>what they can be doing!
>
>==Brett     ...uupsi!cci632!sjfc!bpv9073

	Yeah, one evening I flipped to channel 44 (now 59) - our local
cabel channel quide. Instead of the usual list of what channels were playing
what at what time, the entire screen was blank except for a flashing red
box at the top. Sound familiar?

	It was very annoying that no one at the cable company knew of the
problem. I wanted to find out a show's start time, but couldn't because
I had opted not to receive their monthly channel guide - waste of paper.
I didn't sit there and watch it, but I did check it about two hours later
and it was still that way. What great exposure for the Amiga... :-(

						Jeff

Jeff S. Dickson                                 jdickson@zook.jpl.nasa.gov

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (12/22/90)

["It's been a tough week"- Ben Horne]

<In article <78498@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
<>I was flipping through channels the other day when I went past what I thought
<>was an AmigaDos window.  I searched back to the channel and was surprised
<>(and very pleased) to see an AmiDos window on what is usually the Community
<>Calendar.  Whoever is in charge of the calendar forgot to switch the calendar
<>to the foreground.  The AmigaDos window was prominently displayed for about
<>6 or 7 hours!  What great exposure for the Amiga...
<>
<>* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
<

I can do better than that. I was watching the NASA video channel on my Satellite
dish, waiting for a broadcast from NASA HQ. A couple of minutes before the
broadcast a Workbench screen came up. It took me a few seconds to realize that
it wasn't mine ("Hey, how'd my Amiga get hooked up to my TV?"). They had
VoRecOne in one of the drives.

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

kchiu@triton.unm.edu (12/23/90)

	Yeah, I was flipping through my channel and I thought I saw a
familar red flashing box appearing on one of the channels, I took
a close look, and guess what, it was a guru message flashing on the
screen, it was pretty neat.  By the way, it was on a programming
guide channel.  And was on for quite a while...

Jeff

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) (01/03/91)

>In article <78498@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>I was flipping through channels the other day when I went past what I thought
>was an AmigaDos window.  I searched back to the channel and was surprised
>(and very pleased) to see an AmiDos window on what is usually the Community
>Calendar.  Whoever is in charge of the calendar forgot to switch the calendar
>to the foreground.  The AmigaDos window was prominently displayed for about
>6 or 7 hours!  What great exposure for the Amiga...

I have served on the advisory committee for our local community access TV
station for three years now.  We have two Amigas in constant use there.
One, an A1000 with an old 1300 genlock is hooked in to broadcast the community
bulletin board.  The other is an A2000 with a Super Gen genlock.  This one
is used by our program director, Jane Bartell, to create the bulletin board
pages and as a character generator for in-house produced videos.

TV*Text and TV*Show are used for the bulletin board and Deluxe Video is
primarily used for character generation.  We have recently upgraded to Deluxe
Paint III, so as Jane becomes more familiar with its capabilities that will
become more used in the video titling.

When I started there the only thing they were doing with the computers was
using TextCraft as a scrolling bulletin board.  Now, using only the limited
capabilities in TV*Text Jane is including marvelous artwork that she does
herself.  I am continually amazed at the quality of that artwork considering
the fact that TV*Text is not a paint program.

Since the visual appearance of the bulletin board has improved so greatly
Jane has been almost overwhelmed by the new volume of requests for
announcements.  This is good news to the town of Penfield government because
it means that people are starting to pay attention to what we are doing.

I would like to ask the net if anyone out there knows of other community
access stations that are using Amigas as part of daily life and what they
are doing with them.

Mike

--
      ///
     ///   "Only Amiga Makes It Possible!"        mcc@moscom

gsarff@meph.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (01/04/91)

In article <1990Dec20.233100.27262@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:

>	Yeah, one evening I flipped to channel 44 (now 59) - our local
>cabel channel quide. Instead of the usual list of what channels were playing
>what at what time, the entire screen was blank except for a flashing red
>box at the top. Sound familiar?

Sigh, my cable company must be backwards.  Their information/community
channel can often be found saying.

Radio Shack Color Computer
Microsoft Basic version xxxx
48K bytes free
OK
READY >

with a blinking cursor, sometimes not for hours, but for days at a time.

                          I _don't_ live for the Leap!
     ..uplherc!wicat!sarek!gsarff

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (01/16/91)

[Don't flame me for posting to this newsgroup, we don't have
the new ones out here yet]

Our local NBC affiliate, KRON has a weekly spot called "The Next Step",
on future things.

Last week they did a report from MackWorld on Computer Video applications
of the future.

After showing some high end mac products they focussed their report
on, you guessed it, the Toaster. NewTek actually had the courage to
venture in on enemy turf.

On a slightly different note, in the Jan. 7 issue of InfoWorld, there
was an announcement of a multimedia product for SparcStations from
Tiger Media. They also include software to permit presentations to
be ported over to the "Commodore Business Machines Inc. Commodore/Amiga
video toasters". Interesting how they failed to capitalize "video
toaster", suggesting that it is becoming  term illustrating a class
of peripheral (sp?) as opposed to a particular product.

mike