[comp.sys.amiga] UnixProgs

iheitla@cs.vu.nl (Ilja Heitlager) (01/15/91)

Is there anybody outthere (No not Pink Floyd) in NetLand, who knows where
to find programmes like : yacc, lex, awk (and other yummie Unix-progs) for
the amiga (sources, binaries) .
Could you possibly E-mail me info about these things (FTP-addresses, sources)
or send it to this Newsgroup.

				greetings Ilja
				<iheitla@cs.vu.nl>

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/16/91)

In article <8755@star.cs.vu.nl> iheitla@cs.vu.nl (Ilja Heitlager) writes:
>Is there anybody outthere (No not Pink Floyd) in NetLand, who knows where
>to find programmes like : yacc, lex, awk (and other yummie Unix-progs) for
>the amiga (sources, binaries) .

First I was going to do this reply via e-mail.  But it seems there are enough
people unaware of how to do this that it seems worth the bandwidth.

Anytime you are looking for a PD product, the first place you should look is
on Fred Fish's freely distributable disk collection.  A program on disk #301,
called 'Aquarium', makes this exceedingly easy.  This is a program that will
let you do catagory and/or text searches throughout its database.  Reasonably
up-to-date database files can be had at New Xanth (128.155.23.64
ab20.larc.nasa.gov).  If memory serves, they are in /incoming/aquarium.  If
that's wrong, check out the index file to find the right location.

Don't give up if you don't find it on the first search through the database!
The catagory flags aren't set terribly consistently, and you might just
disagree with the database maintainer on how they should be set.  Next, get
the following in a convenient file somewhere:

Useful FTP sites:

128.174.5.59    ux1.cso.uiuc.edu	Fish disks
		drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu	Amiga files [anonymous.amiga-sig]
128.155.23.64	ab20.larc.nasa.gov	xanth
130.127.8.1	hubcap.clemson.edu	Amiga files, ftp list
		isca.icaen.uiowa.edu	All fish disks

If you've found what your looking for is on a fish disk, and you have ftp
access, go get what you want from the appropriate ftp site.  If you haven't
found it, *then* post a request to the net.

>Could you possibly E-mail me info about these things (FTP-addresses, sources)
>or send it to this Newsgroup.

The reason for this little diatribe is that several versions of awk, sed,
yacc, and other Unixy utilities *can* be found on various Fish disks.  Asking
the net to find files without checking Aquarium first is just plain lazy.

>				greetings Ilja
>				<iheitla@cs.vu.nl>

Before I put my soapbox away, I'll say one more thing:
	comp.sys.amiga and comp.sys.amiga.tech are going away very soon!
	Get with the program and move to the new groups!!!

Thank you.  I'll go away now.

Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;
dave@cs.arizona.edu | some are the cogs on the wheels, others just plain nuts.
						-Daffy Duck.