[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaTeX

rokicki@rocky.UUCP (03/13/87)

I am sending out copies of AmigaTeX for review and experimentation;
if anyone is interested please call me at (409) 326-5312 or -5681
(home) or (409) 723-1646 (work.)  No drivers will be supplied at
the present time.                                             -tom

rokicki@rocky.UUCP (03/13/87)

I'm such a doofus.  An MIT person just called me and told me
that I posted my telephone numbers with the (409) area code.
Wrong.  Those numbers are (415) 326-5312, -5681, and 723-1646.
And, we are not giving out free copies of AmigaTeX; we are
sending it out for people to try.  If you like it, you can
buy it (and support); otherwise you can send it back.

If I'm not there, leave your number and I'll call you back.

-tom

stergios@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Stergios Marinopoul) (05/07/87)

In article <293@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:

>In any case, if you guys are interested in *real* word processing type
>software for the Amiga, there is TeX (and LaTex, if you've got 1 Meg or
>more) available, you know, with a real sharp previewer and everything.
>Very much like Scribe but more powerful, TeX is a real nice program for
>creating technical documents and books (yes, full books).

Yep, I gotta agree, Amiga TeX is the only text formater - word processor
I'll ever need on the amiga. Even though I dont have the 1 meg required to run
LaTeX I've been using the previewer alot to take a look at the .div
files I compile on the main frame before printing them out.  Keep up the good
work Tom.

Writing my thesis in a WYSIWYG  enviornment
was a big mistake. After half way through I was spending more time
MacCutting and MacPasting (Tm... probably 8^) ) than I was adding to the
document.

> Tom Rokicki (the
>author) loves spending all his free and not-so-free time optimizing the
>program and making things run faster!

Again, I gotta agree.  I have never seen anyone so exicted as they cut down the
size or speed up a program as Tom is when he cuts off his daily bytes
and gains those daily secs.

>In any case, the availability
>of TeX for the Amiga is advertised as well as the Amiga itself is; so
>not many people might know about it... (If you're interested, you
>should contact Tom Rokicki, rokicki@sushi.stanford.edu. I know he is
>on the net as well, but he is just too busy hacking (and too modest) to
>say something about TeX himself... So I take the liberty.)
>
>Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu
I took the liberty too.

Stergios Marinopoulos
S&M Engineering
--
% UUCP:         !decwrl!rocky.stanford.edu!stergios			%
% ARPA:		f.flex@othello.stanford.edu				%

jimh@hpsadla.HP (Jim Horn) (05/07/87)

-----

Try AmigaTeX.  You'll be right back at home....

Jim "No relationship to Radical Eye - just delighted with TeX" Horn

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (07/10/87)

%    1) Do these TeX's produce .dvi files just like standard tex?
%       (i.e. not 'improved'). If so, we can use the dvi2ps program
%       (which i think was posted not long ago, we have it here)
%       to drive a Laser Writer, or the dviqms program we have here to
%       drive the qms 800s.

Yes, the .dvi files produced are identical to the ones produced by any
other implementation of TeX.  You can use dviqms and dvi2ps after
kermitting up the .dvi files.  You can even borrow the laser and use
the Amiga dvips to print it out from your Amiga.

(If you are still using dviqms, there is a new version called dvilg
which supports pk files, among other things; call Norm Naugle.)

%    2) When you say you run on a 2-drive system, is that with .5Mb
%       or do you need more ram?

You can run AmigaTeX on a 2-drive system with .5Mb, you just can't
run off extremely large documents, nor can you use LaTeX.

%    3) What is the largest document you have produced? Can i run
%       off a 60-page chapter, for example? What resource is consumed
%       fastest, disk or RAM? Are those disks so full of fonts and
%       such that my .tex files have to be really small?

I have run off 80-page technical reports with no problem.  The biggest
limitation is the size of the .dvi file produced (which matches the
.dvi files produced on other systems); it must fit on a floppy or RAM.
If you run a two-drive system, you can easily run off 60-page documents
with 512K; with more, change your working directory to RAM so the .dvi
file gets created there and you can run even larger documents.

% I am really tempted by the $200 price; the earlier price of $350
% was just too high. Also, i think if i could show people around
% here AmigaTex, with previewer, and then tell them they could
% build such a system for under $2000, that they would be sold.

The price was *never* $350.  Initially it was $300, but everyone who
paid that should have gotten a $100 rebate, unasked for.

One last comment.  If anyone is interested printing with AmigaTeX
directly to a dot-matrix printer, please consider a 24-pin printhead
printer.  They are much cleaner, faster, and generate much prettier
output than any other dot-matrix printers.

sat@unicus.UUCP (10/31/87)

I looking for a version of TeX for the Amiga.  I know one exists, but
I don't have the foggiest idea of where I can find it.  Can someone
please tell me where I can get more information about Amiga TeX?
Please reply only by mail.

Thanks.

Scott.

--
Scott A. Thurlow					Unicus Corporation
InterNet:	sat@Chi.Unicus.COM			(on a good day)

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (11/03/87)

[ If commercial postings offend you, hit `n' ]

AmigaTeX is alive and well, just being slightly delayed due to
some legal hassles.  Demo disks are free.  For pricing or just
a chat, call Tom Rokicki, (415) 326-5312, and leave a message
on my machine.  The old release is available to anyone not
patient enough to wait; the new release (with new fonts, LaTeX,
AMSTeX, lots of new features, etc.) I am most fervently working
on . . .  call me.

-tom

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (12/17/87)

This is in reply to another posting inquiring about AmigaTeX.
AmigaTeX is alive and well, having just come into another release.
Free demo disks are available by writing to Tomas Rokicki, Box 2081,
Stanford, CA  94305.  It is a complete package, including TeX,
iniTeX, LaTeX, a previewer, BibTeX, AMSTeX, and over 1200 previewer
fonts.  Printer drivers are also available for the Epson LQ series,
NEC P6/P7 series, ImageWriter II, PostScript printers, Epson ?X
series, QMS Kiss and SmartWriter, and a few other printers.  The
package itself sells for $200; printer drivers for $100.  Other
terms are available for site licensing or sales to Stanford or
Texas A&M students, faculty, or staff, or on goverment contracts.
Ask for a demo disk and determine for yourself whether it is worth
the price.  It is currently being sold by $n^2$ Computer Consultants,
Box 2736, College Station, TX  77841.  As the author of the package,
I would probably be better to write to for information.

-tom

\input\jobname

grant@hpindda.HP.COM (Grant Haidinyak) (12/19/87)

Do you know if there is a printer driver for the HP series of laser printers
(HP+ HP II ...)?  If there are, I might be persuaded to buy Tex.

Thanks
      Grant

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (06/25/88)

For information on AmigaTeX, write Radical Eye Software,
Box 2081, Stanford, CA~~94309.

--
    /-- Tomas Rokicki         ///  Box 2081  Stanford, CA  94309
   / o  Radical Eye Software ///  (TAMU EE '85)   (415) 326-5312

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt Lidl) (08/23/88)

In article <25755@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> carlson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Richard L. Carlson) writes:
>In article <1807@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>>In article <2993@haven.umd.edu> louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>>>	I suppose that if I really begin to do serious TeX work, I'll
>>>probably spend the $200 and buy AmigaTeX.  If the demo version on one
>>>of the Fish disks is any indication, its is a wonderful product.

>>[much well-deserved praise deleted]

>But, of course, the speed of AmigaTeX depends greatly on how you have your
>Amiga environment set up.  A couple of comments (that might be obvious to
>some, but hopefully will help others) -- if you have enough memory, REZ
>AmigaTeX, and it will start up instantly; similarly, put the format files
>in RAM: if you can; and I usually keep my TeX source file (and therefore
>TeX's output files) in VD0:.  I only have floppies; and any disk I/O really
>slows things down (since TeX, like a compiler, does a lot of I/O); of
>course, if you have a hard disk (especially with the FFS :-) this will
>be less of an issue.

	I recently bought AmigaTeX.  I agree it is a great product, and
one of the nicest implementations of TeX I have had the pleasure of using.
However, with all things, I feel the need to tweak the system.  So I got
out the ARP disk that has the latest and greatest on it, and got to
work on installing ARP.  Once I have *that* up and running, I go to me
Startup-Sequence and start fooling with it.

	Put in various environment variables:
	Put in new cshrc files for my startup and dmouse pop-windows
	Automagically open new cli for AmigaTeX and then try to
ARUN the previewer.

	My B2000 then faithfully gives me a task held requestor every time
I try to boot the machine.  After fiddling with this and that for many
hours on two consectutive nights, I have figured out the problem, and
a solution.  Now for the solution.  Simply use Run (AmigaDOS version) to
run the previewer - it doesn't like the ARP arun command.
	Now what I wish to know is WHY the previewer is allergic to arun?
Also, if you RUN preview, there is no entry for its task in the ps
command of M. Dillon's csh (keep up the excellent work, Matt).  Does it
somehow disconnect itself from the calling CLI?  Or am I missing something
here?
 	At any rate, I would like to know why this happens.  Other than
that and an annoying problem using the epson dvidot driver on my
panasonic 1091 (printout is way over to the right side of the paper), it
is a great program.  If you need to TeX, use AmigaTeX!  (I'm just a
relatively happy customer of Radical Eye software.)
	If you are really serious, get the latest upgrade of AmigaTeX,
there is a new option that will load the format file just once, in the
beginning of the load of TeX.  It works great and after I get it all in
ram, I never go to the floppy at all (except to access the fonts).  All
you have to do is newcli a window and run TeX in that.  Then you have an
optimal solution (unless you want to TeX a couple of documents at once :-)

>By the way, I can't wait to see Tom's previewer running on a Hedley monitor!
Me too!

>-- Richard
==  Kurt J. Lidl  (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)	(301)663-2332	==
==  UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!smaug		==
========"It's after 3am, no point in going to sleep now..."=======

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (08/24/88)

Tom, the Rock Icky of the Big Head responds:

> Automagically open new cli for AmigaTeX and then try to
> ARUN the previewer.  My B2000 then faithfully gives me
> a task held requestor every time I try to boot the machine.

Very strange; thanks, I'll try and track it down.  The
previewer now automagically detaches itself from its
parent CLI thanks to Manx 3.6a DETACH.  So you should
be able to just `preview', and everything should be
hunky-dory.  (I'm working hard on new docs at the moment.)

> At any rate, I would like to know why this happens.  Other than
> that and an annoying problem using the epson dvidot driver on my
> panasonic 1091 (printout is way over to the right side of the paper),

That darned printer.  Compatibility bugs are everywhere.  I try to
make the drivers fast through all sorts of optimizations, and then
all the compatibles break.  John Toebes has agreed to send me one of
the beasts, so I should be able to fix the problems soon.

Thanks for all the great comments, guys!  And remember, if you
have a problem with the programs, I can't fix it unless you let
me know.  Keep those cards and letters coming!

-tom

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt Lidl) (08/24/88)

In article <3711@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:

>> [complaints about my Panasonic 1091]

>That darned printer.  Compatibility bugs are everywhere.  I try to
>make the drivers fast through all sorts of optimizations, and then
>all the compatibles break.  John Toebes has agreed to send me one of
>the beasts, so I should be able to fix the problems soon.

Great!  Now I don't know exactly what types of "optimizations" you make
with the driver, but prehaps you "de-optimize"{it and just do
plain vanilla (obviously, not really, after all it IS a dvi driver!)
dump of the constructed .bit file to the printer.

If it helps at all, I have one of the very first units of the 1091 sold
in tis country.  (IE - mine was purchased within 2 weeks of the initial
release in the Greater Washington D.C. area.  This was way back in
high school.  I guess that makes the printer 4 or 5 years old by now...

If you  need info regarding ROM revision numbers, etc - E-Mail me.

>Thanks for all the great comments, guys!  And remember, if you
>have a problem with the programs, I can't fix it unless you let
>me know.  Keep those cards and letters coming!

Personally, I will keep writing E-Mail.  Also, is there a reason that the
number in the docs for the answering machine doesn't answer?

>-tom
-Kurt

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (08/25/88)

> Also, is there a reason that the
> number in the docs for the answering machine doesn't answer?

I moved this weekend, and there was a short period of time from when
Pac Bell moved the phone service and when I moved the telephone.
My apologies.  My new telephone number is even easier to remember;
simply dial (415) 32-AMIGA.  The old number of 326-5312 will still
work.  Please try to speak slowly and clearly when leaving a
telephone number, folks; I get at least a call a week with a
telephone number I can't decipher.

-tom

adjones@mcnc.org (Amy D. Jones) (03/08/89)

Okay, I've heard several people talking about how nice TeX is...so how do I
get it?  Would this be suitable for writing my doctoral dissertation (in
physical chemistry/microelectronics)--or should I tackle WordPerfect
instead.  I imagine that either would do--but I also imagine that TeX is
probably cheaper (?).

......aTdHvAaNnKcSe......................<<<<<< Amiga Amy >>>>>>............
  <<<<<< I guess I need to formulate a really neat signature RSN. >>>>>>>

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (03/08/89)

In article <4144@alvin.mcnc.org> adjones@mcnc.org (Amy D. Jones) writes:
> Okay, I've heard several people talking about how nice TeX is...so how do I
> get it?  Would this be suitable for writing my doctoral dissertation (in
> physical chemistry/microelectronics)--or should I tackle WordPerfect
> instead.  I imagine that either would do--but I also imagine that TeX is
> probably cheaper (?).
>
> ......aTdHvAaNnKcSe......................<<<<<< Amiga Amy >>>>>>............

I've been using AmigaTeX here for the last couple weeks and can say it is
eminently suitable for your stated requirements. ( Hint... use THESIS.STY ;-))
The programs real power is typesetting complex or long technical documents...
areas where you'd go `zonkers' using a word processor or desk-top publishing
program. You might want to go browse through `The TeXbook' by Donald Knuth
at your local university bookstore.
AmigaTeX is available from Radical Eye Software, Box 2081, Stanford, CA 94309
voice phone- (415)-32-AMIGA  BBS- (415)-32-RADIO  ( cute, eh? )

Disclaimer: I am just a satified user of the program and have no connection
            with any of the above entities.

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/09/89)

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ interesting combination...
>instead.  I imagine that either would do--but I also imagine that TeX is
>probably cheaper (?).

Ack, phooey, no! Not WordPerfect!  Not for technical writing.  I bought
WP (through the student discount, of course) and have used it only for a
few letters and my resume.  Serious stuff I only do with AmigaTeX.
I'm writing a materials science master's thesis, and it suits my needs
wonderfully.

AmigaTeX is from

Radical Eye Software
Box 2081
Stanford, CA  94309

The author is Tomas Rokicki, who is here on the net.  (and who will
probably also answer your posting...)

If you haven't used it before...well...TeX is different.  Ask Tom for the
demo disk before laying out any money, and maybe check out "The TeXBook",
by Donald Knuth, and/or "LaTeX, A Document Preparation System" to get the
flavor of what you'd be getting into.

As for price, TeX is $200, plus printer drivers are $100 each if you
need one.  Also plan on getting one or both of the above books.
WordPerfect is $395 list, but can be had for around $200-$250.  (The
student discount price was $99, but I don't know if that still exists.)
I wouldn't mess around with WP, though.

Good luck,
--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (Will Bralick) (05/11/89)

In article <8036@killer.Dallas.TX.US> elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:

)For heavy-duty tasks (e.g. 100 page manuals), TeX/LaTex is more likely
)to be satisfying than Excellence. For shorter messages with imbedded
)Amiga graphics, a desktop-publishing package such as, e.g., PageStream
)(when they get all the bugs out), will do much better. Excellence is
)really of use only when you want all of the above, and it's not really
)satisfying for anything larger than a form letter. And if TeX had
)graphics capabilities (does AmigaTeX? The version I've used under Unix
)doesn't), you wouldn't want Excellence even for that.

I've used a SUN TeX system (written by somebody with the initials T.R.:-)
and it has something called FIG that you can use to do graphics and
embed them in you document.  Is this available for the Amy?

Regards,

--
Will Bralick                          |  ... when princes think more of
     wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil   |  luxury than of arms, they lose

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (05/18/89)

In article <1095@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Will Bralick) writes:
>I've used a SUN TeX system (written by somebody with the initials T.R.:-)
>and it has something called FIG that you can use to do graphics and
>embed them in you document.  Is this available for the Amy?
well, i mentioned this a few months ago, try again.
1) Port stdwin to amiga
2) fix fig so it talks stdwin. Fig will then run on X, mac,
   pc, and amiga
3) have a nice time with fig and tex!
ron

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (05/19/89)

In article <9303@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>1) Port stdwin to amiga
>2) fix fig so it talks stdwin. Fig will then run on X, mac,
>   pc, and amiga

Sorry to do this, but I am very interrested in getting a window manager
which will run on amigas and macs and X and PCs and ...
I would have paid more attention to the previous threads, except that
they all seemed to be referenceing stdwin in reference to Smalltalk,
which is another beast entirely. Can somebody send me information on
where to get this stdwin thing? Thanks!!! -- Darren

You can get STDWIN from the alt.sources.amiga archive on uunet. It's in
~/amiga-sources/stdwin/... use FTP DIR or download ~/ls-lR.Z to get all
teh file names.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (09/17/89)

For a free demo disk and further information on AmigaTeX, please drop a
postcard with your name and address to Radical Eye Software, Box 2081,
Stanford, CA~~94309.  This is *free* and will answer most questions.

-tom

rokicki@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (01/16/91)

>I've got some beginner-type questions about TeX:
>  1) What software is available?  (Commercial, pd, ftp addresses...)

AmigaTeX is available from Radical Eye Software.  I'm not sure where to
get any public domain versions of TeX for the Amiga.

>  2) What special hardware is required?  (Monitors, memory, printers...)

A megabyte of memory and two floppy disks will run AmigaTeX.  A hard disk
is always nice, and the more memory you throw at the program, the better
it works.

>  3) Do you need a laser printer, or can you get reasonable output on a
>     dot-matrix printer?

You can definitely get reasonable output on a dot-matrix, especially a
24-pin printer.  The DeskJet (and relatives) also generates wonderful
output.

>  4) Why on earth does D. Knuth say that it should be pronounced 'tek'? ;)

Actually, `tech', with a hard `ch'---he wrote the program, he can call it
what he wants.  :-)

For a free demo disk of AmigaTeX, just send your name and address to
Radical Eye Software, Box 2081, Stanford, CA  94309.