[comp.sys.amiga] Bodega Bay Expansion

mark@acc.fau.edu (Mark Fabian) (01/15/91)

Hello,

      I own an Amiga 500 and would like to expand it by buying a
      hard drive and RAM...and maybe later..I would buy an accelerator.
      I'm wondering if the BODEGA BAY expansion chasis by CA-Access is
      the way to go?
      -It sounds pretty good considering it has:
               -4 expansion slots/ 3 are IBM
               -Room for a 3.5" Hard drive
               -Room for 2 internal floppys
               -Power supply for the WHOLE system
      But I would like to know, once I have the Harddrive, will I be able
      to install WorkBench 2.0 even though I have 1.3 ROMS?
      I'm looking to get 8 more megs so memory shouldn't be a problem.
      Also, I'm wondering if a plain GVP 28mhz accelerator with no
      32 bit memory (@600 $ US) is worth the price..
       And how much it will improve the performance of my A500?

      I'm hoping that the Bodega Bay will do what it says it will and
      allow the many A500 owners to expand further than just a
      HD and Ram.
      - I think CA-Access said There will be a Video slot addition later...
        Maybe it will be able to use the Toaster?

      The Mail-Order says the Bodega Bay will be available by the end of
      January...But I haven't heard any word about it on the NET.

      So, I hope there is someone that could bring me insight to this
      Hardware.
                        Thanks
Alan Skvorecz                  By the way, I'm using my boss's account
FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY    -MARC- so don't get confused...
BOCA RATON, FLA                --> AMIGA RULES <--

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan15.000815.11157@cs.fau.edu> mark@acc.fau.edu writes:
>Hello,
>
>      I own an Amiga 500 and would like to expand it by buying a
>      hard drive and RAM...and maybe later..I would buy an accelerator.
>      I'm wondering if the BODEGA BAY expansion chasis by CA-Access is
>      the way to go?
>      -It sounds pretty good considering it has:
		[lots of goodies deleted]

>      But I would like to know, once I have the Harddrive, will I be able
>      to install WorkBench 2.0 even though I have 1.3 ROMS?
>      I'm looking to get 8 more megs so memory shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure why a harddrive would be a problem with 2.0 compatability.  If the
Bodega Bay is not 2.0 compatable, California Access is going to have a lot of
irate customers on their hands in the not-too-distant future (right, CBM?).

>      Also, I'm wondering if a plain GVP 28mhz accelerator with no
>      32 bit memory (@600 $ US) is worth the price..
>       And how much it will improve the performance of my A500?

If by performance you mean expandability, the BB is the way to go (assuming it
works as advertised...).  This is what the BB is all about (unless I missed
something *completely*).  It essentially gives the A500 the expandability of
the 2000.

>      I'm hoping that the Bodega Bay will do what it says it will and
>      allow the many A500 owners to expand further than just a
>      HD and Ram.

Me too.

>      - I think CA-Access said There will be a Video slot addition later...
>        Maybe it will be able to use the Toaster?
>

>      The Mail-Order says the Bodega Bay will be available by the end of
>      January...But I haven't heard any word about it on the NET.

A local computer store has said they will demo the Bodega Bay at the next
local Amiga sig (Jan 25), so I would assume that they already have at least
a demo unit.  Unfortunately, I have to work that day, so I probably won't be
able to go see it. :(

>      So, I hope there is someone that could bring me insight to this
>      Hardware.
>                        Thanks

I would certainly also welcome comments from a hardware-guru type person
with experience with this thing.  If it's not a lemon, it'll be the best thing
for the Amiga since... well, I'd say sliced bread, only that's not for the
Amiga...

>Alan Skvorecz                  By the way, I'm using my boss's account
>FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY    -MARC- so don't get confused...
>BOCA RATON, FLA                --> AMIGA RULES <--

Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;
dave@cs.arizona.edu | some are the cogs on the wheels, others just plain nuts.
						-Daffy Duck.

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.000815.11157@cs.fau.edu> mark@acc.fau.edu writes:
...deleted...
>      The Mail-Order says the Bodega Bay will be available by the end of
>      January...But I haven't heard any word about it on the NET.
...deleted...
>Alan Skvorecz                  By the way, I'm using my boss's account

I rattled California Access' cage today.  Look for an announcement
from them in a few days in comp.sys.amiga.announce.

BTW, don't use comp.sys.amiga anymore.  It's going away.  Note the
followup line.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.