[comp.sys.amiga] where have my ftp sites gone??

jdavis@irus.rri.uwo.ca (J. Davis) (01/11/91)

My two favorite ftp[fish] sites have gone away recently. I have been patiently
waiting for their return to no avail.  (128.174.73.105 and 128.174.237.1 )

Anyone know the story on these previously reliable sites?

Where else can I find the fish archives?

-----
J. Davis, Imaging Research Lab,      |   jdavis@irus.rri.uwo.ca
John P. Robarts Research Institute   |
P.O. Box 5015, 100 Perth Drive       |   office: (519) 663-3833
London, Ontario, Canada  N6A 5K8     |   home:   (519) 657-4888

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (01/12/91)

From article <9101110346.AA24343@sun.irus.rri.uwo.ca>, by jdavis@irus.rri.uwo.ca (J. Davis):
> Where else can I find the fish archives?

isca.icaen.uiowa.edu  (128.255.19.175)

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |      <insert std disclaimer here>           *

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/13/91)

In article <3899@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) writes:
>From article <9101110346.AA24343@sun.irus.rri.uwo.ca>, by jdavis@irus.rri.uwo.ca (J. Davis):
>> Where else can I find the fish archives?

>isca.icaen.uiowa.edu  (128.255.19.175)

First of all, I want to thank you for providing ftp access to Mr. Fish's quite
large library of freely distributable software.  (Because second I'm going to
complain ;)

It seems like your ftp server has some broken software.  Specifically, ls
doesn't recognise any flags.  Also, it doesn't seem to understand wildcards at
all (when used with the 'mget' command).

It'd be swell if you could fix that (especially the wildcards).

>* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
>* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |      <insert std disclaimer here>           *

Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;
dave@cs.arizona.edu | some are the cogs on the wheels, others just plain nuts.
						-Daffy Duck.

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (01/15/91)

From article <651@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, by dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann):

> First of all, I want to thank you for providing ftp access to Mr. Fish's quite
> large library of freely distributable software.  (Because second I'm going to
> complain ;)

You're very welcome.

> It seems like your ftp server has some broken software.  Specifically, ls
> doesn't recognise any flags.  Also, it doesn't seem to understand wildcards at

What flags are you using?  It seems that isca is defaulted to 'prompt off'.
If you are coming in with the -i option, you are turning it back on.

> all (when used with the 'mget' command).

This one is a real problem (and one that I wasn't aware of, thanks for the tip)
I'll talk to the system ghod and try to get that fixed ASAP.  I'll also try
to convince him to default to 'prompt on', since the rest of the world seems
to do it that way.

> It'd be swell if you could fix that (especially the wildcards).

Agreed.  I'll leave a note here as soon as we get it fixed.

From article <3924@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, by mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar):
> From article <651@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, by dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann):
>>
>> It seems like your ftp server has some broken software.  Specifically, ls
>> doesn't recognise any flags.  Also, it doesn't seem to understand wildcards
> What flags are you using?  It seems that isca is defaulted to 'prompt off'.
> If you are coming in with the -i option, you are turning it back on.

The '-i' now does the expected, it turns off prompting.
We're still working on fixing wildcards.
I'll post a note as soon as I here it is fixed (hopefully tonight sometime)

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std disclaimer>           *

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (01/18/91)

From article <651@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, by dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann):

Everything at isca.icaen.uiowa.edu is now working properly.  Thanx for the tip.