[comp.sys.amiga] Kickstart 2.0 updates

In article <1991Jan12.204727.9725@tc.fluke.COM> mark@tc.fluke.COM (Mark D. Nagel) writes:

>I am having a hard time believing that these (updates to 2.0) really exist. My
>closest dealer (Omni International in Seattle) has not received any updates at
>all - this spans back several months when the first updates were announced. I
>suggested to this "dealer" that he contact Commodore's regional rep and get
>some sort of communication happening: For the right price, I'd gladly accept
>a job offer to help straighten these sort of things out. All I get from this
>dealership is "2.0 isn't burned in yet".  I mean really now, ~3 months and no
>word from Commodore?
>

>WhenI got my, machine back in August, it didn't have a coupon for AmigaVision.
>My dealer wanted a copy of the purchase order; O.K., fine, I had it with me -
>but, their copy machine was broke! So, here is what I have/will-have faced by
>the time I get my hands on a copy of AmigaVison:
>
>RULE #1: MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY.

	I don't know why you are complaining to Commodore when it
sounds like your dealer is the idiot. He refuses to call
Commodore citing some stupid excuse. He insists you bring your
sales slip to get the coupon and then doesn't have one and won't
get one to you. How is this Commodore's fault?
	-- Ethan

	"Don't forget the importance of the family. It begins
with the family. We're not going to redefine the family.
Everybody knows the definition of the family. ... A child. ... A
mother. ... A father. There are other arrangements of the family,
but that is a family and family values."

	-- Dan Quayle, of course. Our beloved Vice President.
	It's just too easy!

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (01/14/91)

This is in reply to someone who is very upset about not being able to get
Kickstart updates...and I *DO* sympathize.

The store I purchased my A3000 from is 3 hours from me.  It is not feasable
for me to drive that far to get updates.  What I can't understand is why
can't commodore allow the updates to be posted on FTP sites?  Or on BBS's?
The only thing I can think of is they do not want non-A3000 owners using
WB2.0.

Come on commodore, give us a break. I've spent a long time on the
phone to customer relations trying to get someone to tell me how I can
get an update without having to drive for 6 hours round trip.  The only
thing they've told me is 'where my nearest amiga dealer is'. For
pete's sake, I already know that!

Make the updates available...anyone who has access to a dealer can get
them now as it is.  The only persons you are hurting is the ones who
do not have ready access to a good amiga dealer.

I'd really like to see a reply from someone at commodore.  You don't
have to make the updates public domain to distribute it...this is becoming
a source of much annoyance to me and all the A3000 owners in my area.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (01/15/91)

Please forward any response to me as well. My dealer is close to me,
but he 'decided' that the updates were meaningless and disposed of
them!! He said that he loaded it and 'nothing was different'.  I
tried to explain that the changes were internal, no cosmetic. This
did no good. So..... I am without updates until the roms come in.
I hope doesn't throw those away.

Duane

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (01/15/91)

>In article <26300@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:
>The store I purchased my A3000 from is 3 hours from me.  It is not feasable
>for me to drive that far to get updates.  What I can't understand is why
>can't commodore allow the updates to be posted on FTP sites?  Or on BBS's?
>The only thing I can think of is they do not want non-A3000 owners using
>WB2.0.

At least one of the dealers in my area automatically mails the new workbench disks
to his customers with 3000's.  I suggest you contact the dealer and request that
he mail you one.  If necessary, offer to pay for the disk and mailing.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

dhansen@amiganet.UUCP (Dave Hansen) (01/16/91)

In message 17559@cbpvax.commodore.com, Paul Higginbottom writes:
>$Proof of purchase is not necessary since every person who is entitled to
$receive an update is a new user and should have filled out his registration
$card.  I am sure Commodore keeps these on computer files somewhere.

We do file them, but would you believe only about 1 in 5 customers returns
them, ...

I made the mistake of returning a few of them for the 16 Amigas I've got at
work.  Now I am inundated with junk mail from Time/Life telling me how I can
get their books on learning how to use a computer and Columbia record clubs
CD's for free, etc.  If you want a database, great.  It's my opinion that you
just want to sell another mailing list, which I do not appreciate receiving at
my office.  As a minimum, allow the reply card a selection box for those that
do not want that junk mail.

Sorry about not moving this to the new newsgroups, but I'm still waiting for
my C-Net Sysop to re-write his shell to process them.

                                   uucp:clout!obdient!amiganet!dhansen
voice: (708)691-4747

In article <dhansen.5334@amiganet.UUCP> dhansen@amiganet.UUCP (Dave Hansen) writes:
>In message 17559@cbpvax.commodore.com, Paul Higginbottom writes:
>>$Proof of purchase is not necessary since every person who is entitled to
>$receive an update is a new user and should have filled out his registration
>$card.  I am sure Commodore keeps these on computer files somewhere.
>
>We do file them, but would you believe only about 1 in 5 customers returns
>them, ...
>
>I made the mistake of returning a few of them for the 16 Amigas I've got at
>work.  Now I am inundated with junk mail from Time/Life telling me how I can
>get their books on learning how to use a computer and Columbia record clubs
>CD's for free, etc.  If you want a database, great.  It's my opinion that you
>just want to sell another mailing list, which I do not appreciate receiving at
>my office.  As a minimum, allow the reply card a selection box for those that
>do not want that junk mail.

	This really isn't fair. I've returned my registration
cards and have not gotten put on thousands of mailing lists.
There are a thousand ways to get on them, how can you be sure
this is the way you got on it? Maybe it was when you got your
credit card, or when you returned your TV registration, or maybe
your CD player? How can you isolate it?
	But even if you could, each country has a different
Commodore to set those policies. I don't know where you are
writing from, maybe that is the difference.

>                                   uucp:clout!obdient!amiganet!dhansen
>voice: (708)691-4747

	-- Ethan

	"What a waste it is to lose one's mind,
or not to have a mind... How true that is."