[comp.sys.amiga] Imagine: "World Famous Support" ??

groo@chsdip (Bill Squier) (01/07/91)

After spending about a week with Imagine, a friend of mine and I had
come up with a two-page list of minor bugs/additions we'd like to
see/questions.  Remembering their comments in the two page errata sheet,
we decided to call them up and let them know "ASAP", just like it says.

We were greeted on the phone by a man who sounded like this was the
twelve-thousand'th call he'd received that day.

Me:  "Hi, I have some bug reports, suggestions and questions for you
guys, are you the person who's supposed to handle all that"

Him: (droning like he was about to fall asleep) "Yes.  I'm that person.
However, I have limited time, so please only ask questions.  I shouldn't
have my time >wasted< by suggestions and bug reports."

Whew, okay I thought, nice guy...

I proceeded to ask some questions, which he droned out unhelpful answers
to.  Some of these things are down right wrong, so I figure I'll
redirect them to you guys.

1)  When you make a sphere transparent, is it considered hollow or
solid?  ie- how many index of refraction changes does the light ray go
through?  The answer the tech support guy gave was completely off base.
He said: "The sphere is hollow.  If you want to make it appear solid,
turn up the index of refraction."  That's just plain WRONG.  If it's
hollow, the ray's going to undergo four (4) seperate changes, bending it
at a completely different angle by the time it emerges from the other
side.  Turning up the index of refraction would just exaggerate the
"hollowness" of it.

2)  Be careful about the following statement (from the Tutorial manual,
page 3):

	"There is no limit to the extents of any axis, either positive
or negative".

That works all fine and good until you push something out beyond 1024 in
any direction, and select "Trace" mode for rendering.  Apparently you
have to adjust some aspect of the "Globals" settings under the Action
editor in the Stage Editor for this to work.  I believe the tech support
guy mumbled the "size" attribute needs to be changed, but I haven't had
a chance to try it.

After being thouroughly frustrated with this "support", I drafted a
letter containing everything I wanted to say, and I'm about to send it
off to Impulse.  My suggested addtions and comments follow, and if you'd
like to add anything, drop me a line and I'll include it in my letter.

After working with your product Imagine v1.0, I have compiled a list
of problems and suggestions that I'd like to share with you.  I've
devided the list in to five distinct sections to provide some degree
of clarity.

Section 1: Bugs/Quirks

The [Parent] button available in all your disk requesters does not
work correctly.  It limits you to your projects top-level directory.
Frequently I have an object stored in another project I'd like to
access quickly, and I have to resort to typing the path manually.

In the Attributes requester, the object's name is limited to 8
characters, quite a few less than Turbo Silver.  If this is an
intentional "feature", I'd like to see at least the old length back.

The [Import] button in the Project Editor is undocumented, but easy to
figure out.

In requesters that allow you to change multiple settings (Attributes,
Transformations, etc.) clicking a new choice leaves an "X" in the
previously selected box.

In the Mold requester, under Extrude, the Mirror Ends option is
undocumented.

There is no documentation for the PlayIAnm utility.

Section 2: Additions

General:
--------

Ability to apply all general operations to the children of an object
as well (for example, the Fast Draw option)

Interrupt all view generations when zooming and panning.  Currently,
only the perspective draw is interrupted.

Separate pan/zoom controls for the perspective window.

A key or gadget to recenter the "rotate" sliders on the perspective
window.

A CAD/CAM-like Zoom to box option, where you drag out an area which
you would like to fill the entire view.

Make Hide Points available in editors besides the Detail Editor.

An option to remove the "edge" lines in Perspective window in Shaded
mode.

For requester, try to default to an appropriate directory, if one
exists.  For example, default to Project_name/Objects for object
save/loads (unless it has been changed by a previous use of the
requester, as is currently the case), and Imagine/Im_Textures for
texture loads.

Recently there's been a flury of activity on Usenet (a world-wide news
distribution service) concerning your product.  I have seen Steve
Menzies post there, but I would suggest your company actually getting
an account on a local system that carries net-news, or even setting up
a site on an Amiga in your offices.  The software is public domain
(Matt Dillon's UUCP 1.06D is an excellent choice) and easy to set up.
I'm sure Mr. Menzies would have some input concerning this.  There's
been quite a bit of interest generated there, and people would love to
have Impulse that easily accessable.

Stage Editor:
-------------

Lock mode in the Stage Editor.  (Snap to grid)

If the camera is tracked to an object, and that object is moved,
update the perspective window appropriately.  Currently, a Goto cell 1
is required.

Allow all Pick Modes (Drag Box, Lasso, ...)

Project Editor:
---------------

Add a Turbo Silver "Set Zone" equivalent.

A "Show while tracing" mode, similar to the Sculpt-4D option.

After selecting Cancel during a render, how about an "Are you sure?"
requester as in Turbo Silver.

Detail Editor:
--------------

Ability to apply Color, Reflect, and Filter to child objects.  Why are
these the only attributes that are not carried over from the parent?

Cycle Editor:
-------------

Option to prevent certain segments from ever pivoting, twisting, or
moving.  A "Lock in place" option.

Add a Translate requester for precise numerical adjustments.

Change orientation of assigned object (rather than having it always be
oriented along the Z axis) at the time of the assignment.

An Insert Segment option.  (You have Remove)

A Relocate Segment option.  (Attach the segment at a different
location)

Group scaling operations.

Snap to Grid/Lock feature

The program will load a grouped object as a cycler, and it does a
pretty good job (even though it's not supposed to do it at all).  Is
it possible to "smooth out" that process.  This would be an incredibly
useful feature!

An option to have the segment conform to the size of the object
assigned to it, rather than the (current) other way around.

Ability to Insert Cell.  (Again, you have Remove)

Section 4: Compliments

Probably your favorite section...  While I can't begin to tell you how
impressed I am with your product, there are certain minor, often
overlooked features that make it that much more enjoyable to work
with.  It's always the little things...

Double clicking in requesters to load/save/etc.  A big gain over
Turbo!

A drag-able screen.  That one pixel line at the top is infinitely
useful.

The Shaded/Hidden line perspective window.  Countless times I had no
idea what the Wire Frame view in Turbo Silver  was showing me.

Saveable/loadable Attribute settings.  Simplifies a lot of operations!

Again, that's just the little things, but it's the finer points of a
program that really impress me.

Section 5: Additional F/X and Texture suggestions

Cracked Rock/Granite	(Texture)	Just like on the manul cover
Clouds			(Texture)	Again, just like the cover
Burlap			(Texture)	Good for the one-legged race
					animations.  :-)
Viens			(Texture)	Medical/science anims?
Scales			(Texture)	Dragons and fish
Stucco			(Texture)	ouch.
Marble			(Texture)	Wood just doesn't come up with
					a realistic Marble effect.
Fur			(Texture)	Animals.
Frosted			(Texture)	Just like "Smoked Glass"
Fog			(F/X)		Might not be an F/X item, but
					definitely a useful option
Melt/Collapse		(F/X)		Similar to Explode, but affected
					by gravity.  Possibly for Melt,
					dividing triangles into smaller
					ones while applying "Collapse"
					Now that I think of it, this
					could probably be simulate with
					a Morph.

-----
Bill Squier (groo)	Amiga :  uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!chsdip!groo (best)
`Only Amiga!'	        VAX   :  uunet!vaxb.stevens-tech.edu!u93_wsquier

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (01/08/91)

Here is a bug that really gets me:

  The "no ram" and similar windows that have the front back gadget.  When
you click it the program hangs (you cant get it back to press "ok").  Theres
probably a key sequence to bring it back in front in work bench.

  Another bug: when I was compiling my first animation, all went well but
I couldnt load it and had no idea why.  There was no message to inform me
that the anim was too large, so the HD will go off for a while, and nothing.

Suggestion:
  How about a way to view each object (via amiga-n) through a light source?

PS: My shipment didn't come with any zerox to explain the textures and effects,
and I was trying to explode a sphere (primitive). Well, I called up and after
insisting that I'm pressing return after each entry I ask him if perhaps some
objects won't explode.
    He says all will explode.  Even primitives? Yes even primitives.  Well,
I finally got the doc on the effects and it explicitly says the sphere wont
explode (after a lot of frustration).

This is my first 3d package, so the doc is the largest bug.  Gee, for ~$240
I want a woman to emerge from a bowl of jello.  At least a book with useful
comparisons of spin,sweep, etc.

Anyway, could someone email me how to make a glass object?  Ive been trying,
but the object is never transparent (surely something really stupi)
I would surely appreciate it!

Doug Dyer
ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu
--
"I/O's revenge is at hand." - Hennessy & Patterson

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (01/08/91)

	Looks like you've discovered like I have of the sub-standard support
	if Impulse....  I have always felt like I was just a problem to
	them, rather than a paying customer.  Their upgrade policy from
	Turbo Silver was a joke!

	-Mike-

her@compel.UUCP (Helge Egelund Rasmussen) (01/08/91)

groo@chsdip (Bill Squier) writes:

>After being thouroughly frustrated with this "support", I drafted a
>letter containing everything I wanted to say, and I'm about to send it
>off to Impulse.  My suggested addtions and comments follow, and if you'd
>like to add anything, drop me a line and I'll include it in my letter.

I've already mailed a letter to Impulse, but more "noice" can only help.
Please mention (in big letters :-) that the manual is TOO BAD!!
I think that the appeal of the program would be much bigger if they
supplied a manual like the one supplied with Sculpt (ie bigger, with
more examples, hints and LOTS of tricks).

Example scenes (on disk), and more tutorials would also be A Good Thing.

It would be nice if Imagine would release an 'Imagine Texture kit' as they
did for TS. I have wild plans about implementing some of the textures found
in the DKB tracer, but alas have no idea of how to do it:-(

Now for the interesting stuff:

>The program will load a grouped object as a cycler, and it does a
>pretty good job (even though it's not supposed to do it at all).  Is
>it possible to "smooth out" that process.  This would be an incredibly
>useful feature!

I haven't tried this yet, but if it is true then it is one of the things
that all Imagine users should know about.

If it really is possible to create for instance a man in the detail editor,
and then move it into the cycle editor, then the cycle editor is much more
usable!

I'll go home and try this tonight!!

---
Helge E. Rasmussen  .  PHONE + 45 31 37 11 00  .  E-mail:  her@compel.dk
Compel A/S          .  FAX   + 45 31 37 06 44  .
Copenhagen, Denmark

groo@chsdip (Bill Squier) (01/10/91)

In message <12505@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer), writes:

>PS: My shipment didn't come with any zerox to explain the textures and effects,
>and I was trying to explode a sphere (primitive). Well, I called up and after
>insisting that I'm pressing return after each entry I ask him if perhaps some
>objects won't explode.
>    He says all will explode.  Even primitives? Yes even primitives.  Well,
>I finally got the doc on the effects and it explicitly says the sphere wont
>explode (after a lot of frustration).

The tech support guy was entirely correct in this case.  There are TWO
different types of spheres.  One is the CSG sphere, and the other is the
PRIMITIVE sphere (made of polygons).  When you pull down the "Functions"
menu, and the sub-item "Add", you'll note a list of four things pops up,
"Axis", "Sphere", "Ground", "Primitive".  See, there's a sphere there,
and if you select primitive, you'll see a choice for sphere in there as well.

It's the one in the "primitives" requester that can be exploded, et al.

-----
Bill Squier (groo)	Amiga :  uunet!tronsbox!chsdip!groo (best)
`Only Amiga!'	        VAX   :  uunet!vaxb.stevens-tech.edu!u93_wsquier

pvallis@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Paul Vallis) (01/11/91)

/ hpcupt1:comp.sys.amiga / mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) /  6:56 pm  Jan  7, 1991 /

	Looks like you've discovered like I have of the sub-standard support
	if Impulse....  I have always felt like I was just a problem to
	them, rather than a paying customer.  Their upgrade policy from
	Turbo Silver was a joke!

	-Mike-
----------

        I second the motion.  Everytime I've called them for help, I get
        the STRONG feeling that I'm BOTHERING them;  somehow taking them
        away from the customers "who aren't stupid (the ones who have
        already cracked the Impulse user interface design theory)!"

     -Paul-

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (01/13/91)

In article <-286609992@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>, Paul Vallis writes:

> / hpcupt1:comp.sys.amiga / mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) /  6:56 pm  Jan  7, 1991 /
>

> 	Looks like you've discovered like I have of the sub-standard support
> 	if Impulse....  I have always felt like I was just a problem to
> 	them, rather than a paying customer.  Their upgrade policy from
> 	Turbo Silver was a joke!
>
> 	-Mike-
> ----------
>
>         I second the motion.  Every time I've called them for help, I get
>         the STRONG feeling that I'm BOTHERING them;  somehow taking them
>         away from the customers "who aren't stupid (the ones who have
>         already cracked the Impulse user interface design theory)!"
>
>      -Paul-
At one time I was the Amiga Product Manager for a new chain of Superstores
on the West Coast, called ComputerCity.  They are owned jointly by Inacomp
and Mitsubishi, the chain presented an excellent opportunity for selling
Amigas in the main stream, opposite IBM, Apple, etc...  I was constantly
frustrated by Software Vendors and Distributors who were not able to work
with a company of our size.  I honestly feel that many vendors of Amiga
product, are geared towards small family owned dealers and are incapable of
properly selling/supporting their product to upscale dealers/chains.  I
personally feel that this is currently one of the limiting factors in the
Amigas market.
     This is a long story in itself, but what I am trying to get
at, is that Impulse was far and away the WORST company I ever dealt with.
It final got to the point where the Head of Corporate Purchasing told me,
"We will no longer carry/sell any Impulse product!"  I have a long chain of
Impulse lying and being rude to us and our customers.  I have sent
transcripts of all my unsatisfactory dealing with them, to their President,
as well as posted in their forum on CompuServe.  No one from Impluse has
ever made any attempt to explain or apologize for any of it.  When I have
posted a complaint, here or on CompuServe all I get is a bunch of mail,
from other people who have had similar problems.  I have given Impulse
every chance to reply to any of my complaints, and I am now convinced that
not only are they aware of their horrible Customer Service reputation, but
they don't even care.
     I strongly discourage anyone from purchasing anything thing from them.
The only problem with a boycott is that Imagine is an excellent product
from a horrible company...

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (01/17/91)

I'm posting this at the request of Mike Halvorson, Pres. of Impulse Inc.
What follows should be self-explanatory.  Please don't ask me to relay
individual messages to Mike.  I am not on Impulse Inc.'s payroll in any
way, shape or form.
------
Quote:

We are saddened to read that several people here on Usenet find Impulse to
be less than responsive to their needs.  Specifically, anyone who calls
Impulse who feels that they are considered less than important are sadly
mistaken. We have always been dedicated to doing the best job we can.

Regarding the upgrade policy from Turbo Silver to Imagine, we are not sure
what your complaints are.  But if it was price, it would appear that we
have saved some people some money.  We stand behind our product and your
critical review. If you find our product to be less than what you expected,
we urge you to contact us for a full and complete refund, providing of
course that you purchased it directly from us. Our goal is to make happy
customers. It would seem that in some cases that we have not accomplished
this.  Being the President of Impulse affords me the opportunity of saying:
"The Buck Stops Here."  I encourage anyone who wishes to do so to call and
ask for me directly so that they may have a direct resource for fixing any
and all problems that they may have.

It is most discouraging to read these recent notices when indeed we do not
hear the same things from the calls we receive. We encourage you to call.
Having said this, we are also very confused regarding Mr. Goldberg's
situation regarding a "new chain of Superstores on the West Coast, called
ComputerCity.  They are owned jointly by Inacomp and Mitsubishi." (Quoted
from Mr. Goldberg's Usenet letter of 12 Jan 91 18:08:39 GMT
jason@cbmami.UUCP) To the best of my knowledge we have never had any dealing
with this retailer. All of our sales are done through Amiga distributors.
Regarding any customers that Mr Goldberg had: once again, if any of our
staff has been rude, we indeed apologize.

To those who care to read this notice, allow me to say that we, like you,
are aware of our shortcomings.  We do not in any way shape, or form wish to
minimize your concerns. It is through your positive critical review that we
become a more effective software and hardware resource. It does, however,
seem that many individuals become overly emotional in this public forum.
In short, I personally will be glad to answer any and all questions
regarding any Impulse product, and unless I am otherwise preoccupied, I will
be more than glad to take your call.  If we do not, or I do not, satisfy
your concerns, then indeed you may now refer to this letter in your future
call.

It is said that it is better to light a candle than to curse the
darkness. For those who wish not to have personal voice contact, we have
established an area for exchange of views and ideas on People/Link. You may
reach this area by signing on to People/Link and typing /GO IMPULSE. I look
forward to calls and questions.  (People/Link signup info is by Voice at 1-
800-524-0100 or 1-312-648-0660, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, Central time zone or by
Modem at 1-800-826-8855, 24 hours a day, 300/1200/2400 baud).

Once again, regarding Mr. Goldberg, we will attempt to find the telephone
number of this West Coast dealer and attempt to find out what their concerns
were.  If Mr. Goldberg wishes to give us the telephone number and a contact
person, it would be much appreciated, since it appears from his posting that
he no longer works there.

This letter has been posted through the good offices of a friend of ours
with a Usenet account. We are indeed not represented on Usenet nor Bix nor
CompuServe, but now and in the future our telecommunications support will
reside in the Impulse Club on Plink.   We do not have the manpower resources
to become actively involved with all existing networks, so please, if you
make postings here, be advised that we will not be able to respond here.
Therefore, please call me direct, or join Plink and our club.

Due to our lack of manpower here, I'd like to suggest that you get together
and nominate someone you feel could coordinate the message traffic with us
and have him call us so that he can represent us on your behalf.

We  appreciate your critical commentary regarding the Imagine manual ,and we
are in the process of writing an Advanced User's Guide that will be
available at a very minimal cost, provided you have sent us your warranty
card or have purchased Imagine directly from us.  You will be informed about
further details regarding this manual and Imagine updates in the upcoming
Impulse newsletter.

Mike Halvorson
President, Impulse, Inc.

End of Quote

-----------
.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (01/19/91)

     Impulse bashing is your right and I'm not going to say anything about that
in this posting.  But I thought that amidst all the groaning and bitching there
should be a good word for Impulse lying around here somewhere.

     I received Imagine from a mail-order company.  When I tried to run it (and
I'm sure you all remember my frantic postings at the time: thanks to those who
helped!) it would not due to an error in the imagine.pic file.
     After several calls to the company, prayers for intervention by friendly
deities, I called Impulse one last time to see if there was anything they could
do for me.  (For the record, I believe I spoke to 4 different people, explainin
the problem 4 different times).
     They shipped me a brand new distribution disk.
     FREE.

     Now, mind you I paid $10 for next day air service, but the disk was free.
I HADN'T EVEN SENT IN MY WARRANTY CARD YET!  This guy had no way of knowing tha
I had actually purchased the program!  I was so impressed that all this Impulse
bashing has gotten me a little upset.  Thanks for your time.

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "It's so neat to |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | see an AMIGA say |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |   "Welcome to    |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   Macintosh""    |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  | ---- AMIGA ----  |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/