[comp.sys.amiga] AMOS

ins624y@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (mr r. walker) (09/16/90)

Here is Australia we have been tossing the bull around about AMOS for a bit.
I thought that someone out there, especially in England, where AMOS *should*
have already been released, could answer these questions:

a) Has AMOS been officially released && is it widely available?
b) Is it compiled or interpreted (ie. is it possible to run programs
   independently of the AMOS package)?
c) Speedwise, how does it compare to C, especially for graphics (it *is*
   meant for games after all)?
d) Naturally it runs on the A500 and the A2000.  How does it run on the
   A3000?  Someone here in Oz claimed that Mandarin would not release AMOS
   until it worked on the A500, 1000, 2000 && 3000.  Funny, I seem to recall
   that AMOS was announced long before the 3000 ...

and while I'm at it ...
e) Have CBM started putting the ECS (apart from the obese Agnus) into 500's
   and 2000's yet?  When will they start shipping these machines with
   2.0 instead of 1.3?  Dave Haynie may care to respond to this one (if
   I were him I would have given up responding to every post with his name
   in it long ago ... still it's great to see this sort of grass-roots
   involvement from CBM)

and finally, the thing every Amiga owner in Australia wants to know
(especially is they are students) ....
f) When is the A3000 going to be released in Australia (he said, with
  reckless optimism, not really expecting an accurate/authoritative answer,
  especially from CBM Australia, who probably don't read comp.sys.amiga,
  and certainly have never posted to it)???????  There has been some
  mumbling about Edu Disc for Australians, but no prices to far (then
  again no prices for retail A3000s either ...)  Will the 16MHz A3000
  be sold in Autralia?  Some say only the 25 MHz version ...

Thanks in Advance, Rod

"Put another COBOL programmer on the barbie ..."

ps. You can see we here in Australia live on rumours and gossip ...
    That's because the official (== CBM Australia) support/information
    is so incredibly bad (== non-existent).

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/17/90)

In article <4334@monu1.cc.monash.oz> ins624y@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  r.   walker) writes:
-
-Here is Australia we have been tossing the bull around about AMOS for a bit.
-I thought that someone out there, especially in England, where AMOS *should*
-have already been released, could answer these questions:
-
-a) Has AMOS been officially released && is it widely available?

Yes. Yes. (It's even available in Sweden, which sometimes seems much
more isolated from Europe and US than ever Australia :-)

-b) Is it compiled or interpreted (ie. is it possible to run programs
-   independently of the AMOS package)?

It's interpreted, but the recently-released run-time PD AMOS (RAMOS)
makes the latter possible. The say they will sell a compiler as well
(when it's finished).

-c) Speedwise, how does it compare to C, especially for graphics (it *is*
-   meant for games after all)?

It's fast for interpreted BASIC... Without doubt usable for anything
but really complex graphics operations. Of course You can always make
things faster in a pure assembly language program.

-d) Naturally it runs on the A500 and the A2000.  How does it run on the
-   A3000?  Someone here in Oz claimed that Mandarin would not release AMOS
-   until it worked on the A500, 1000, 2000 && 3000.  Funny, I seem to recall
-   that AMOS was announced long before the 3000 ...
-

It works on an expanded A2500/20.

[...]

Tommy Petersson

GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu (09/17/90)

In article <4334@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins624y@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  r.
walker) says:
>a) Has AMOS been officially released && is it widely available?
A friend of mine has it, so I guess it's been released in the U.S.

>b) Is it compiled or interpreted (ie. is it possible to run programs
>   independently of the AMOS package)?
It is interpreted (blazing as hell though) and they have plans for a pd
"player" type program.

>c) Speedwise, how does it compare to C, especially for graphics (it *is*
>   meant for games after all)?
It is damn fast IMHO.  I saw some really amazing things done with it.
However I wouldn't buy AMOS because it takes over the machine and has a
really goofball interface.  It looks like a C64 hack or something.  I
understand the need for speed, but not to take over the machine ALL THE TIME.
I don't understand the need to write programs like they do.

--dominic

sah@ukc.ac.uk (S.A.Hill) (09/18/90)

In article <90260.092159GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu> GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu writes:
>It is damn fast IMHO.  I saw some really amazing things done with it.
>However I wouldn't buy AMOS because it takes over the machine and has a
>really goofball interface.  It looks like a C64 hack or something.  I
>understand the need for speed, but not to take over the machine ALL THE TIME.
>I don't understand the need to write programs like they do.
>
>--dominic

This isn't true.  AMOS can be successfully run in conjunction with
other packages.  You can switch between the AMOS interpreter/editor to
the workbench at the press of AMIGA-A.

I normally run it using runback, and keep a cli window open for fiddling
about.  AMOS does however impose quite an overhead on the machine.  It
can also be memory hungry, so many people opt to close down the workbench,
and run AMOS alone.

I'm not sure what is so `goofball' about the interface.  It has a menu
driven screen based folding editor (not the best - not the worst - certainly
an improvement on most BASICs).  Maybe you are refering to the fact that it
doesn't use intuition.

Steve Hill.

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/18/90)

In article <90260.092159GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu> GIAMPAL@auvm.auvm.edu writes:
-
-In article <4334@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins624y@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  r.
-walker) says:
->a) Has AMOS been officially released && is it widely available?
-A friend of mine has it, so I guess it's been released in the U.S.
-
->b) Is it compiled or interpreted (ie. is it possible to run programs
->   independently of the AMOS package)?
-It is interpreted (blazing as hell though) and they have plans for a pd
-"player" type program.

The PD player is also released. A compiler is planned.

-
->c) Speedwise, how does it compare to C, especially for graphics (it *is*
->   meant for games after all)?
-It is damn fast IMHO.  I saw some really amazing things done with it.
-However I wouldn't buy AMOS because it takes over the machine and has a
-really goofball interface.  It looks like a C64 hack or something.  I
-understand the need for speed, but not to take over the machine ALL THE TIME.
-I don't understand the need to write programs like they do.
-
---dominic

The interface IS a little goofy, kinda WordPerfect-style... (meaning that
You use function keys, which is fast when You have learnt it. The keys are
on the screen, as well)

I don't know if it takes over the machine all the time. (I don't have AMOS
myself, my friend has it and is now at the dentist so I can't ask him)
What I recall from his saying, it can somewhat co-exist with other programs.
I can't say that I'm sure, though.

Tommy Petersson

kchiu@triton.unm.edu (10/05/90)

	Hi, I just got AMOS, it looked pretty neat, but from the
manual, I wasn't able to find anything about compiling programs
into one single executable. Is it possible?

					Thanks.

--
kchiu@triton.unm.edu     (Only Amiga Makes it Possible)		//
Jeff Shi						       //

mhenders@draco.unm.edu (Stinger) (10/10/90)

	The AMOS program does not come with a compiler but a compiler is due
out by christmas. It will allow total stand alone programs in full assembler.
The ST version of AMOS (STOS) compiles into one object, yes, a single file. I
really don't know many other details about the Amiga compiler version. It
will be nice to see though. If you want to see a good example of a compiled
STOS game, check out Cartoon Capers since it was made entirely with STOS.

--
(*  ///                   ( demo freak             )                   *)
(*  \\\tinger             { mhenders@hydra.unm.edu }                   *)

cadp16@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct5.053630.10479@ariel.unm.edu>, kchiu@triton.unm.edu writes:

> 	Hi, I just got AMOS, it looked pretty neat, but from the
> manual, I wasn't able to find anything about compiling programs
> into one single executable. Is it possible?
>
> 					Thanks.
>
> --
> kchiu@triton.unm.edu     (Only Amiga Makes it Possible)		//
> Jeff Shi						       //
> (505)292-8858						  \\  //
> My opinions are of my own.			           \\//
Hi Jeff,
	I tried mailing this to you, but I don't think it got through.
	The Amos compiler is currently being programmed by the writer of
	Amos, Francois L.   You can however, make an amos program autoboot
	from its own disk.   There is a suitable program on the extras disk,
	If you haven't got it then I suggest you get hold of it soon.
	Mail me directly if you want to swap Amos programs/ideas...

Electric Monk~~~

necati@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Necati Bildirici) (11/12/90)

Is there anybody who can help me to get what I want.
I am searching for the AMOS-COMPILER
NOT THE CREATOR

PLEASE HELP ME??????      !@#$#$#%$#

EEN KENNER.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/14/90)

necati@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Necati Bildirici) writes:

> Is there anybody who can help me to get what I want.
> I am searching for the AMOS-COMPILER
> NOT THE CREATOR
>
> PLEASE HELP ME??????      !@#$#$#%$#
>
> EEN KENNER.

Well, I'm in a slightly different situation. We poor folks on the U.S.
can't find AMOS _anything_ here! Could someone please tell them that, if
they aren't marketing it here, that they're missing a big market by not
selling it here!

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (11/14/90)

In article <87DLs4w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>necati@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Necati Bildirici) writes:
>
>> Is there anybody who can help me to get what I want.
>> I am searching for the AMOS-COMPILER
>> NOT THE CREATOR
>>
>> PLEASE HELP ME??????      !@#$#$#%$#
>>
>> EEN KENNER.

The compiler isn't released yet. I remember seeing something about a december
release date but don't quote me on that.

>Well, I'm in a slightly different situation. We poor folks on the U.S.
>can't find AMOS _anything_ here! Could someone please tell them that, if
>they aren't marketing it here, that they're missing a big market by not
>selling it here!

You also need money and lawyers, look at noisetracker!

Jorgen

--

email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.

pochron@cat52.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (11/27/90)

Safe Harbor is selling AMOS...I bought it from them.  The current version is
1.2, but my version is 1.1 - and I DIDN'T get a warranty registration card
in the box, so I'll have to prove I bought it with receipts, original disks,
etc.

Amazingly, it works with the 68030!  (Except there is a bug where it acceses
a memory location outside the Amiga's memory range - and the MMU catches it.
Running SetCPU fixes this problem.)

If you buy it, make sure you get 1.2, as it fixes a few bugs in 1.1 and adds
some nice features.

David M. Pochron	    |  from Rescue Rangers, _A Fly in the Ointment_
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu|  Gadget to Dale:  "Keep the hands off the body!"

Joe.Monnin@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Joe Monnin) (01/19/91)

AREA:UUCP_AMIGA
It also adds a number of bugs, so I'd think twice about getting this
package unless you don't intend on using the PORT() function or the
EVERY n GOSUB/GOTO routines.

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Joe Monnin - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!210!Joe.Monnin
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Joe.Monnin@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG