[comp.sys.amiga] fonts

lachac@topaz.UUCP (02/03/87)

I have an idea to fling out to all the hackers.

Does anyone have any info/idea/desire to write a font converter from the
Mac --> Amiga??  There are some nice Mac fonts available.  Is this a
feasable quest????

	"Isn't fun the best thing to have?"

			lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

spencer@eris.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <8846@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>I have an idea to fling out to all the hackers.
>
>Does anyone have any info/idea/desire to write a font converter from the
>Mac --> Amiga??  There are some nice Mac fonts available.  Is this a
>feasable quest????
>
>	"Isn't fun the best thing to have?"
>
>			lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

I don't want anybody to think that we can just go and get the Mac fonts and
be happy with them.  There is alot to the Mac fonts and when we finally get
them on the Amiga I don't just want to see a bit-mapped image.  I want to be
able to use them they way they were ment to be used!  Driving laser printers,
rescaling to new point sizes.  Postscript city!

{calming down}

   Not that I don't like the current use of fonts on the Amiga, the Mac had
meger beginnings also.  Amiga did a really wonderful thing with their setup.
They looked at the Mac and said "What did they screw up that we can do right!"
So, Amiga can use _Any_ printer (almost) and _Any_ monitor (again), and you
can drop any combination of 3rd party memory boards in and they work out
who fits where... etc... etc... the list of amazing thing goes on and on.
But dammit!  I sat down at an Epson Laser printer today and tried to print
from Page Setter to the laser printer and 20 minutes later nothing had come
out (sort of the same speed my MX-80 goes at with Page Setter).  I want to
be able to use all sorts of goofy fonts and print up a really noisy page
and have it print _quickly_ for me (the one thing that the Amiga never has
done).

{realizing what computer I am talking about}

   Ok, ok... Desktop publishing is for the Mac World, they have it all tied
up.  Fonts on the Amiga are for video graphics.  Well, I just keep looking
at that NEWS operating system from SUN and wonder how out in the cold we
may be.  Well, at least we are sort of on the band wagon, I have seen some
products for the Amiga that are PostScript.  At least Commodore  (I no longer
say "Amiga", I don't think there is anyone still there saying "he means us!")
isn't coming out with a computer mounted on a cheap laser writer, like Atari
is.  Instead, more and more printers that support the Amiga's way of doing
things (bold face, then italic, but not Helvetica) are coming out in the
higher quality (24 pin, Laser).

   Some day we will page publish on the Amiga, and we will be able to do
real color graphic art (too bad "superbitmap" is only 1024 x 1024) full
page 300 dpi color separations, and be able to see the color on the screen
because of the Amigas great color chip.  In the mean time, back to DVideo.
Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 C#(415)283-5469
                         I N F I N I T Y          spencer%eris@berkeley.edu
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .      spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . ....ucbvax!eris!spencer
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
                         s o f t w a r e

as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) (03/07/89)

I am doing some professional video work, and need some font recommendations.
I got the Masterpiece Fonts Demo Disk, which were very impressive, but
frankly I don't need 110 fonts.

Are there 100+ point fonts available singly?  Or in packages under $100?

Has anyone bought the $15 font packages from Earthbound Software?
Lion's Fonts?  ProFonts?  Tate Fonts?

-Drew

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (03/07/89)

In article <QY4q-Wy00VE1Q8iFlZ@andrew.cmu.edu> as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) writes:
>Are there 100+ point fonts available singly?  Or in packages under $100?
>
>-Drew

You should pick up fish disk 133 or 135 (I forget which), it contains a few
dozen fonts ranging in size from 26 to 172 pts. They are packed so as to
all fit on one disk. Best of all, they cost a great deal less than $100.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9583               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

c152-cb@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (03/08/89)

In article <QY4q-Wy00VE1Q8iFlZ@andrew.cmu.edu> as4e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Paul Stern) writes:
>I am doing some professional video work, and need some font recommendations.
>I got the Masterpiece Fonts Demo Disk, which were very impressive, but
>frankly I don't need 110 fonts.
>
>Are there 100+ point fonts available singly?  Or in packages under $100?
>
>Has anyone bought the $15 font packages from Earthbound Software?
>Lion's Fonts?  ProFonts?  Tate Fonts?
>
>-Drew

You don't need 110 fonts ?
 actually, i think the masterpiece fonts are the best you can get.
 I don't know about the earthbound software fonts, but i would stay
 clear of the lions fonts.  they are downright cheezy.  if you can use somewhat
 smaller font sizes, i would suggest calling infinity software and getting
 their 5-disk font collection.  they are actually converted and grouped mac
 pd fonts and look better than anything we have.  unfortunately, they are
 not for video and so only a few come in really large font sizes

KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) (11/13/89)

Hi all,
	Can someone tell me where there are some *nice* PD fonts available? Or
actually *any* pd fonts will do.

	And...did anyone ever find the ARP programmers docs???

...now if I can only figure out how to set up a gadget...:^@

			Thanks a bunch...
					...Tony
>-----------------------------------------------------////---------------<
|    Tony Kennedy      | Any resemblance       |     //// AMIGA          |
|   Project Engineer   | between these and my  |\\\ //// The computer    |
|    Setpoint Inc      | employers opinions is | \\\/// For the best     |
|                      | pure coincidence.     |  \\\/ of us.            |
| INTERNET : kennedam%wwps%dupont.com@relay.cs.net                       |
>------------------------------------------------------------------------<
| I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not   |
| sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.		 |

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) (12/19/89)

 ganga@megadata.mega.oz (Ganga Varatharajan) writes:
> I am looking for font packages which can be used for graphics/video
> work - as opposed to text/printing.
>
> 2-D, plain monochrome fonts would do as long as they can be used with
>  - turbo silver3 ( would be ideal choice )
>  - deluxe paint iii ( would be easy to use )
>  - photon paint ( ok, can use after some fiddling around )
>  [ .... ]

   For TurboSilver you might try the fonts supplied by Syndesis, the people
   from InterChange, for DP3 I would recommend the Kara fonts package, they
   have some really great fonts in their collection.

---
	     Michel Langereis -- Above opinions are mine.
	uucp: hp4nl!neabbs!amichel@uunet.uu.net | bix: tmpda

KENNEDY%WWPACS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) (03/12/90)

HELP.

	I'm using FastFonts and I'd like to replace the system font. (Yes,
I'm finally tired of topaz.)  But, FF complains about proportional fonts, and
I can't seem to find a nice regular 8 or 9 pt font that FF likes.

	Any suggestions?

	I also use Handshake in 132 column mode and it (to put it bluntly) looks
bad.  Can't tell the difference between B and 8. Is there any help. Usually I
can suffer and guess what the letters are, but eye strain sets in around
4 AM.

		Thanks...Tony

   Tony Kennedy           Disclaimer: I know that you believe you understand
   Project Engg.          what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize
   Setpoint, Inc.         that what you heard is not what I meant.
   (304)863-2903              kennedy%wwpacs@dupont.com
                              kennedam%wwps@dupont.com

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (03/12/90)

In article <13614@baldrick.udel.EDU> KENNEDY%WWPACS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:
>	I'm using FastFonts and I'd like to replace the system font. (Yes,
>I'm finally tired of topaz.)
     Then again, aren't we all? :-)
>I can't seem to find a nice regular 8 or 9 pt font that FF likes.
     That FF likes or that you like? If FF is choaking, try this (I think
this is right...)
     Run FED. (Yes, FED. Font EDitor. The ugly one. Make sure it's the
version from WB1.3 or later.) Load the font in question; then make sure
that the font's proportional tag is not set. Then save it (even if it
was set as fixed-width!). Then run FixFonts, and try FF again.
     What does all this mean: I'm not sure, except that (at least some
versions of FF) do not like the way many fixed_width fonts are saved,
and that this OFTEN fixes the problem. (Not always. You don't want to
know what we had to do to get Nethack's font installed...)
>	Any suggestions?
     Pearl.font is very nice. Crisp, clear, looks great when combined with
SetLace to eliminate those nasty scan lines.
                                                 - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT | PLink: Skywise | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet |

alex@bilver.UUCP (Alex Matulich) (03/14/90)

In article <13614@baldrick.udel.EDU> KENNEDY%WWPACS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) writes:
>	I'm using FastFonts and I'd like to replace the system font. (Yes,
>I'm finally tired of topaz.)  But, FF complains about proportional fonts, and
>I can't seem to find a nice regular 8 or 9 pt font that FF likes.

I had the same problem once too.  I solved it this way:  Load up FED (the font
editor) and in the attributes/font type menu, select FIXEDWIDTH.  Ignore the
fact that it already looks selected anyway.  It's a good idea to explicitly
select all the other menu options of interest as well.  Then, go into a
CLI and DELETE THIS FONT!  Then go back to FED and store it.  You may have
to delete the entire font, that is, the xxx.font file, and the contents of
the xxx directory.

>	I also use Handshake in 132 column mode and it (to put it bluntly) looks
>bad.  Can't tell the difference between B and 8. Is there any help. Usually I
>can suffer and guess what the letters are, but eye strain sets in around
>4 AM.

All I can say is use 80 columns with your own font.

--
     ///  Alex Matulich
    ///  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (03/15/90)

It's easier than that.  To get FastFonts to work, just get into FED,
load the font, make sure that FixedWidth is set (no need to re-click
if it's already set) then re-save the font.  Then run FixFonts.  Done.

This is in the manual (or maybe just the upgrade notes for 1.3).
--
tlimonce@drew.edu      Tom Limoncelli       As seen in USA Today &
tlimonce@drew.uucp     +1 201 408 5389         Rec.Humor.Funny!

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (03/15/90)

In article <Mar.14.12.05.43.1990.3841@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> It's easier than that.  To get FastFonts to work, just get into FED,
> load the font, make sure that FixedWidth is set (no need to re-click
> if it's already set) then re-save the font.  Then run FixFonts.  Done.
>
> This is in the manual (or maybe just the upgrade notes for 1.3).
> --
> tlimonce@drew.edu      Tom Limoncelli       As seen in USA Today &
> tlimonce@drew.uucp     +1 201 408 5389         Rec.Humor.Funny!
> tlimonce@drew.Bitnet   "Down with overly-long signatures!"
> limonce@pilot.njin.net

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (03/15/90)

G'day,

I've recently tried out the FED trick to build FIXEDWIDTH fonts for use with
FF from my WorkBench/everywhere_else. I happened to do it before I read this
topic thread and so I stumbled some times where I would not have had I seen/
read these suggestions earlier. My primary suggestion is that for anyone who
has not tried this yet (and wants to) that you should start with a good font
such as PEARL.FONT (is this a public domain font? I hope so, its nice!). The
results I obtained with some normal W.B fonts such as ruby.font & the Extras
disk Helvetica.font from Adobe were poor although FF accepted them. This was
due to the need as I discovered to change the XSIZE &(HSIZE? YSIZE) settings
for these fonts as well as setting the FIXEDWIDTH option. FF expects an 8 pt
wide font and so...

That procedure unfortunately degrades the font characters because some pixels
get chopped off and if you don't repair that (I didn't) then your g's and q's
look the same. Moreover/worse_in_my_opinion the (Helvetica) characters looked
anaemic (like hard to read). {NB: I have set the vertical/horizn. height/size
settings for my A1081 (PAL) monitor so that my W.B area is smaller than usual
so this exacerbates the problem.}

I am using PEARL.FONT currently and I quite like the clean look. Does any one
know of other good FIXEDWIDTH fonts available PD/Shareware/commercial?

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

My greatest problem with FF was the grey matter b/w my two ears... It took me
ages to figure that the font name FF wanted was pearl.font and not pearl ( so
do FF pearl.font ) :-)  Oh yeah, btw, I find that FF >NIL: xxxx.font will not
have any visible effect. I have to do a FF xxxx.font. Is that documented some
place?

In article <581@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) writes:
>G'day,
>
>I've recently tried out the FED trick to build FIXEDWIDTH fonts for use with
>FF from my WorkBench/everywhere_else. [...]

I tried this, too, without luck.

>The
>results I obtained with some normal W.B fonts such as ruby.font & the Extras
>disk Helvetica.font from Adobe were poor although FF accepted them. This was
>due to the need as I discovered to change the XSIZE &(HSIZE? YSIZE) settings
>for these fonts as well as setting the FIXEDWIDTH option. FF expects an 8 pt
>wide font and so...

I seem to have tried all this without success.

>My greatest problem with FF was the grey matter b/w my two ears... It took me

Me, too.  I've tried the SETFONT utility (available PD) also with mixed
results.  I can change more fonts, but the filenames that appear under
the icons on the workbench remain the standard system font.
Incidentally, mixing SETFONT and FF causes a visit by the guru ... :(

Is there any way to change the system font to something smaller than 8x8?
(I know, I'm too demanding! :)

  /\    from
 /  \_________________________________
/ /\  Chris Dailey, Amiga Enthusiast /
\ \ \___dailey@cpsin1.cps.msu.edu___/
 \  /
  \/

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (03/24/90)

In article <7004@cps3xx.UUCP> dailey@cpsin2.UUCP (Chris Dailey) writes:
=-
=-Me, too.  I've tried the SETFONT utility (available PD) also with mixed
=-results.  I can change more fonts, but the filenames that appear under
=-the icons on the workbench remain the standard system font.

	Setfont needs to be run before loadwb in order to get The icons
labelled with the new font.  This appears to be a bug in the workbench code.
Hopefully 1.4 will clean up the whole font-changing mechanism, which currently
appears to be very ad hoc.  You pretty much have to write your applications to
cooperate if you want to use anything other than an 8x8 font.  This should be
made more transparent.

=-Incidentally, mixing SETFONT and FF causes a visit by the guru ... :(
=-
	I haven't experienced this.  Then again I only run setfont and ff once
each, immediately before loadwb in s:startup-sequence.

gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) (03/24/90)

In article <462@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> bryan@cs.utexas.edu writes:
>In article <7004@cps3xx.UUCP> dailey@cpsin2.UUCP (Chris Dailey) writes:
>=-
>=-Me, too.  I've tried the SETFONT utility (available PD) also with mixed
>=-results.  I can change more fonts, but the filenames that appear under
>=-the icons on the workbench remain the standard system font.
>
>	Setfont needs to be run before loadwb in order to get The icons
>labelled with the new font.  This appears to be a bug in the workbench code.
>Hopefully 1.4 will clean up the whole font-changing mechanism, which currently
>appears to be very ad hoc.  You pretty much have to write your applications to
>cooperate if you want to use anything other than an 8x8 font.  This should be
>made more transparent.
>
>=-Incidentally, mixing SETFONT and FF causes a visit by the guru ... :(
>=-
>	I haven't experienced this.  Then again I only run setfont and ff once
>each, immediately before loadwb in s:startup-sequence.

     According to the various magazine articles I've read previewing 1.4 (2.0?),
the new Workbench will allow you to set what font you want it to use  for icons and stuff (probably through the new Preferences).
     I've never had setfont GURU me.  I have FF in my startup-sequence and
occasionally run setfont later on if I get bored with Topaz 8; maybe I've just
been lucky :-)

         - Greg Dunlap
         - CSUChico

- Yeah, yeah, I'll get around to making a .sig file one of these days.

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (01/20/91)

Well, I'm no font expert; I'll let somebody else answer that one.

IconX is a way to allow executable scripts (those that you'd run from
the CLI/Shell with the EXECUTE command) to be clicked on from the Workbench.
To use it, simply create a plain ASCII text file that does what you want it
to do (like reassigning FONTS: or something) with an editor or wordprocessor
that saves an icon with the file. Then select the icon and choose INFO from
the Workbench menu. In the Tool Types box, type
c:IconX

and then, when you click on that icon, the script will be executed, just
as though you'd typed EXECUTE scriptname from the CLI.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet