[comp.sys.amiga] hard drive parking?

michael_williams@canrem.uucp (michael williams) (01/20/91)

Can anyone tell me if there is a program or a way to have the Hard
Drive park when not in use by itself!

What I want to do is my HD is now 24 hours a day!  So if it is not
access for about 5 continuous minute!  I would like to park when not
doing  anything!  With the A590.  It came with a parking program but you
have to click on the icon for it to park!  Need something that works in
the background like PopCli!

Michael Williams
---
 ~ Via ProDoor 3.4aR Now Where Did I Park my Hard Drive???
 ~ RNet 1.07U:  UseNet Computer Junction Home of Track 36 and Steel City Users
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan20.1107.14890@canrem.uucp> "michael williams" <michael_williams@canrem.uucp> writes:
>Can anyone tell me if there is a program or a way to have the Hard
>Drive park when not in use by itself!
>
>What I want to do is my HD is now 24 hours a day!  So if it is not
>access for about 5 continuous minute!  I would like to park when not
>doing  anything!  With the A590.  It came with a parking program but you
>have to click on the icon for it to park!  Need something that works in
>the background like PopCli!

I suggest writing a script (and perhaps taking some kind of depressant -
you seem to be a wee bit too excited).  This assumes the parking program
is called park.

-----script-begins-here------
lab beginning
ram:wait 5 min
ram:park
skip back beginning
------script-ends-here-------

In your startup-sequence, you should copy the script and the programs
'park' and 'wait' to the ramdisk, and then add the line 'runback
execute ram:script-name' (assuming you have runback in your path).

Hope that helps...

--
=----------------Logan-Shaw---(lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu)----------------=
  "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not on thine own