[comp.sys.amiga] music keyboard for Amiga ?

mlknol@cs.vu.nl (Knol Marcel L) (01/15/91)

Hello out there,

	I have an Amiga B2000 and I want to use my Amiga as synthesizer,
but I don't want to destroy my Amiga keyboard. Is there a possibility to
connect a simple music keyboard to the Amiga, using MIDI  (where can one
use MIDI for?), serial or parallel port? I don't mean a little keyboard,
but a full-sized keyboard.
	I don't  want to  buy an expensive  synthesizer.  I just want to
learn to play some tunes.  By the way, I don't even know if there exists
software to use such a keyboard. Can someone help me, any information is
welcome. Please send e-mail.

Thanks in advance,

Marcel Knol
--
Marcel Knol,                           ...!mcsun!hp4nl!star.cs.vu.nl!mlknol
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam,          <mlknol@cs.vu.nl>

In article <8747@star.cs.vu.nl> mlknol@cs.vu.nl (Knol Marcel L) writes:

>	I have an Amiga B2000 and I want to use my Amiga as synthesizer,
>but I don't want to destroy my Amiga keyboard. Is there a possibility to
>connect a simple music keyboard to the Amiga, using MIDI  (where can one
>use MIDI for?), serial or parallel port? I don't mean a little keyboard,
>but a full-sized keyboard.
>	I don't  want to  buy an expensive  synthesizer.  I just want to
>learn to play some tunes.  By the way, I don't even know if there exists
>software to use such a keyboard. Can someone help me, any information is
>welcome. Please send e-mail.

Far away from being a MIDI expert, I still can assure you:
yes, this is possible with the Amiga.

There are available rather cheap MIDI keyboards on the market
that are just keyboards to output the codes of the pressed keys
but don't produce any sound on their own. They are used to control
numerous other MIDI equipment which in turn normally doesn't come
with an own keyboard.

The second component you need is a MIDI interface for the Amiga
that plugs to the serial port. They are very cheap.

The last component you need is a MIDI capable music software.
But you can't use any MIDI software, you need one that is able
to generate sounds using the Amiga audio hardwre according to
the MIDI codes input. (Some of
the MIDI software packages rely on a connected synthesizer that
does the final sound generation.) I'm not very well informed here,
can it be that SONIX and Bars&Pipes are adequate here?

psycho@banana.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (01/22/91)

In article <11121@darkstar.ucsc.edu> daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) writes:

>I know that there are programs that allow you to write and play
>music on your Amiga, but are there any PD programs that do this?
>Or is the art limited to those with much cash?
>
>-Nick
Does anyone know if the unix-based CARL sound file system is in the
public domain?  I'm taking a class in computer music that uses cmusic
and other utilities in the ircam soundfile system on a Vax, and I was
wondering if these programs have been/can be ported to the Amiga.
Being the nightowl I am, it would be nice to be able to do my
assignments at home and download them when I'm done, of course the
potential problem I see is that an Amiga port that uses the Paula
chip would only take 8-bit information for sounds, while the D/A
converter on the Vax is 16-bit.  I don't know yet if the sound
information is independent of the playback methods, as there have
only been three classes.
Any information regarding these programs would be most appreciated!

E-mail responses are preferable, but I read the amiga groups enough
to catch any responses in time for them to be useful.

Thanx in advance!

   Scot Forbes