[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 3000 questions

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) (06/26/90)

In article <12950@cbmvax.commodore.com> joe@cbmvax (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) writes:
[ ... ]
>The A3000 is shipping with both 1.3 and 2.0 operating systems installed.
>2.0 is the default boot mode; access to 1.3 is as you described. The
>version of 2.0 which you saw on the store system was a beta-level however,
>and is _not_ the same as the production machines.

I thought that even the early "production" machines were going to be shipped
with a non-final version of 2.0.  Can you clarify what the 3000s shipped
within the next couple of weeks (or whenever they start rolling off the
production line) will be equipped with, i.e. a beta, gamma, omega, or
"official" version of 2.0?

Also, if I purchase a 3000 and want to play with programming 2.0, is there
anything I can do?  Will becoming a registered developer be sufficient to
get the necessary materials?

                                   - Neil

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs        //     What was sliced bread
att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com   \X/    the greatest thing since?

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/29/90)

2.0 isn't final until it's in ROM.  If you go check your startup-sequence,
you'll see it's still a pre-release.

We also got the upgrade, which fixed a few glitches, and allowed a few
software packages that didn't like the previous 2.0 to run (somewhat).

On a different subject, have you received the upgraded AmigaVision that's 2.0
runable?

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

ksh@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Kish Shen) (01/06/91)

Hi!

I am thinking of getting an Amiga 3000 with UNIX. I thought it would be a good
idea to get some feedback from people before I make up my mind.

I have not used an Amiga before, so some of these questions may be a bit basic.

1) How is the Amiga Unix like? Has anyone used this yet? Is it stable?

2) How compatible is the Amiga 3000 with older Amigas? From what I have seen in
this newsgroup, it seems that some games are not runnable, and quite often the
reason is copy protection. For games that run, do they run faster? It is not
always a good idea -- you definitely don't want action games to run faster!

3) I am thinking of getting PC compatibility using the Bridge Card. When the
CBM people came to our department, they claim that a 386 card is under
development
-- does anybody know about this? Are there people besides CBM that are making
PC cards for the Amiga?

How is the existing 286 card like? How compatible is it with "real" PCs? Is the
standard Amiga colour monitor VGA compatible? Do I need a VGA card to get VGA
output?

Does anybody know if there are any problems with using these cards on
the A3000?

----

Thanks for any help!

Kish Shen

ken@mcnc.org (Kenneth A. Whitfield) (01/15/91)

I have the opportunity to sell my IBM 386 clone; however, I need more
info on the 3000 before I make a decision.

1. What are Zorro slots ?

2. How does AMAX work ? Where do you buy it ? How much does it cost ?

3. I would also like to interface the 3000 to my VCR as an editor
   or titler. How expensive would this be ?

4. Does the bridgeboard come in different flavors (XT,AT,386) ?

5. I have the capability to ftp pd software off the net to a PC. How
   does one convert the PC format to Amiga format?

6. What are the recommended PD software packages for every Amiga owner ?

7. Which mail order companies has the best software and hardware prices ?

8. Can you have seperate partions on a hard drive for MS-DOS, AMIGA-DOS,
   and MAC-OS  or do you need separte drives for each ?

Thanks in advance .......

Please forgive me if I mailed this to the wrong group .

In article <7540@alvin.mcnc.org> ken@mcnc.org (Kenneth A. Whitfield) writes:
>I have the opportunity to sell my IBM 386 clone; however, I need more
>info on the 3000 before I make a decision.
>
>1. What are Zorro slots ?

They are the Amiga version of expansion slots. On the 3000 they
feature a blindingly fast 32-bit bus.

>4. Does the bridgeboard come in different flavors (XT,AT,386) ?

To-date there is an XT and an AT version.

>5. I have the capability to ftp pd software off the net to a PC. How
>   does one convert the PC format to Amiga format?

When you have a bridgeboard, you get included with the driver
software utilities to copy from the Amiga to the PC world and back.
When you have a pure Amiga, there is good PD software available
that allows you not only to convert the ASCII version but also the
physical floppy format using plain Amiga drives.

>6. What are the recommended PD software packages for every Amiga owner ?

Don't know about "packages", but there is the ultimate *series* of
PD disks by Fred Fish. It recently reached no. 400.

>8. Can you have seperate partions on a hard drive for MS-DOS, AMIGA-DOS,
>   and MAC-OS  or do you need separte drives for each ?

Yes. Speaking of MS-DOS, you even have both choices. When you have
a bridgeboard, you can use a standard (speak "cheap") filecard and
install also an Amiga partition on it. If you prefer an Amiga-side
HD (speak "fast") then you can define a virtual MS-DOS partition
on it that is just a file for the Amiga, but a fully compatible
partition for the PC side.

In article <1991Jan6.040457.3959@cl.cam.ac.uk> ksh@cl.cam.ac.uk (Kish Shen) writes:

>2) How compatible is the Amiga 3000 with older Amigas? From what I have seen
>in this newsgroup, it seems that some games are not runnable, and quite often
>the reason is copy protection. For games that run, do they run faster? It is
>not always a good idea -- you definitely don't want action games to run faster!

I just recently posted a blurb in one of the new groups on the compatibility
issues surrounding the A3000.  Most non-game software works, though there are
a few exceptions.  I hear tell that lots of games don't work, though apparently
I don't have any of those games (I will admit I only own a few of them).  There
is no real problem writing a game that works, its just that more game
programmers have [a] thrown out the OS, [b] considered the Amiga a big C64
and written accordingly, and [c] ignored most or all of our programming rules.

When written correctly, a game will work fine.  Will it go faster?  Maybe.  A
realtime video game is the only one that matters in this context.  A good one
will be synched to the video display, for nice, clean, display.  If, as in the
case of some of the flight simulators, generation of the images is taxing the
68000 in the older machines, than the game will usually run faster on the
A3000.  If everything is based on the display and hardware timers, you won't
notice the difference between a game on a 3000 vs. a 500, except that the
mouse or joystick may be more responsive on the 3000.

>Are there people besides CBM that are making PC cards for the Amiga?

Yes, but to date, only things that fit in the A500 RAM Card slot or similar
places.  C= is the only one to make a real Bridge Card so far.

>How is the existing 286 card like? How compatible is it with "real" PCs?

It's a basic 8MHz AT, which is really nothing special these days.

>Is the standard Amiga colour monitor VGA compatible? Do I need a VGA card to
>get VGA output?

The standard A3000 monitor, the 1950, is VGA compatible.  The bridge card
will only generate CGA and MDA compatible displays in Amiga windows, at
present.  You can add a VGA card, though on the A3000 that'll leave you with
one slot free, since the AT card takes up two.

>Does anybody know if there are any problems with using these cards on
>the A3000?

You have to either run some kind of MMU tool, like a special version of the
Enforcer, or else turn off the data cache on the A3000 (via SetCPU V1.6
or the supplied CPU command), for correct operation of the bridge card.  Since
bridge memory is shared, allowing it to be cached is a no-no.

>Kish Shen

	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (01/22/91)

In article <220@cbmcel.UUCP>, stoller@cbmcel.UUCP (Martin S. Stoller) writes:

> BTW, followup to another group; I can't remember if programmer is written
> programmer or programer (that's the trouble with knowing german AND english;
> you start spelling thing wrong... or ist es ENGLISCH, I mean, is it ENGLISCH???)
>    Regards,
>    UUCP: [{(uunet|pyramid|rutgers)!cbmvax}!cbmehq!cbmcel!stoller

It doesn't help knowing just English. Both programmer and programer are
acceptable, atleast according to Webster's, but it usually is spelled
programmer.

---Mike,

--
 --------       o       A herd of bagels      | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD