[comp.sys.amiga] Kickstart??

THYERJ@UNCG.BITNET ("Jonathan S. Thyer") (01/18/91)

Is it possible to run kickstart out of fast ram? I have an Amiga 500 with
kickstart 1.2 and I am interested to experiment with copying Kickstart 1.3
to ram, resetting pointers and rebooting the computer. Could anyone
enlighten me as to how I go about reading a kickstart disk?
Some will probably say that I should just go out and get hold of the 1.3
rom but I want to try this out if possible. Please direct your replies
to me via email.

Jonathan Thyer
thyerj@uncg.bitnet
thyerj@steffi.acc.uncg.edu

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (01/24/91)

In article <42035@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>So far as I know, the only way to put Kickstart in RAM is to have a
>68020/30 and to use Dave Haynie's SetCPU program, which, when used with
>the FASTROM flag, copies the Kickstart ROM to 32-bit RAM, which makes a
>lot of things go a lot faster. Of course, with a 68000 A500, the matter
>is moot--get the 1.3 ROM!
>                                                --Rick Wrigley
>                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

Not True!  The LUCAS/FRANCES pd accellerator for the Amiga 1000 will
also remap the ROM image into fast ram.  It does so by providing an
program to move the ROM data, set a flip-flip to translate the
addresses in the memory addressing hardware, and off you go!  As far
as I know, Dave's SetCPU program only works on systems with a MMU.

Wildstar