[comp.sys.amiga] HELP

ferguson@nancy.UUCP (Ron Ferguson EE ) (06/24/88)

sorry to bother youall

ONM29%DMSWWU1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (08/17/88)

Date: 17 August 1988, 12:56:01 MES
From: Frank Wuebbeling                               ONM29    at DMSWWU1A
To:   AMIGA-RE at UDEL

help

AB100@DK0RRZK0.BITNET (09/26/88)

help.

dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Daniel Zenchelsky) (03/13/89)

Ok guys, my computer is on the blitz and I need help.  Now, in addition to
randomly scrambling disk directories (which I think I've eliminated by
removing GOMF 3.0 from my startup-sequence) my machine (A500) randomly gurus.

I've noticed that it boots up with a green screen, and I seem to remember
that that signifies a memory problem.  To test what memory, I took out
my A501, and 1 Meg Byte Box, and the green screen persisted. So, I ran
a memory diagnostics program (I got it from comp.binaries.amiga, I think)
and it didn't find any problems... Hmm...

Does anybody have a *GOOD* PD/Shareware Memory checker/System Diagnostics
program?

Could it be a loose chip? (Agnus?)

-Dan

|  ______                                                   |
| ||   |o|  Daniel Zenchelsky  --  dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu  |
| ||___| |                                                  |
| |   _  |  "Yes, but every time I try to see things your   |
| \_[]_|_|   way, I get a headache."                        |

kenneth.tam@canremote.uucp (KENNETH TAM) (03/16/89)

I understand there's a really nasty virus running loose, spread by
(seriously), "The A.I.D.S. Foundation".  I've had a run in or two with
it, and it seems to turn the screen green at reboots and rearrange disks
into an "unreadable" format.

VirusX 3.2 doesn't catch this one, other than informing you the disk has
a a nonstandard bootblock.  VRT 4.0 will flash the memory virus warning
as well as the C/WC Vectors.

-Kenneth
---
 * Via ProDoor 2.9a

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
   Via Fidonet node 1:223/224.0 - MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: kenneth.tam@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...tmsoft!masnet!canremote!kenneth.tam

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (03/18/89)

From article <3302@hermes.ai.mit.edu:, by dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Daniel Zenchelsky):
:
: Ok guys, my computer is on the blitz and I need help.  Now, in addition to
: randomly scrambling disk directories (which I think I've eliminated by
: removing GOMF 3.0 from my startup-sequence) my machine (A500) randomly gurus.
:
: I've noticed that it boots up with a green screen, and I seem to remember
: that that signifies a memory problem.  To test what memory, I took out
: my A501, and 1 Meg Byte Box, and the green screen persisted. So, I ran
: a memory diagnostics program (I got it from comp.binaries.amiga, I think)
: and it didn't find any problems... Hmm...

	Green screen is a pointer to bad chip memory... But remember that
FANG generates CAS* and RAS* for that memory. Normally on a 500 you can
fix the problem by simply re-seating the chip. On the 500 at work, we replaced
the socket with a new Ansley socket. The Ansley had a much nicer clip
arraignment.

: Does anybody have a *GOOD* PD/Shareware Memory checker/System Diagnostics
: program?

	I use MD recently to diagnose a problem with an old aMEGA board I
had laying around. It worked well for that application, but probably wouldn't
find most intermittant memory failures. (I wanted to put a buss terminator
on my 1000 and didn't have any other 86 pin female card edges... Now I have
*five* devices on my buss, plus the Processor Accelerator inside!) (Kiddies,
don't try this at home!)

: Could it be a loose chip? (Agnus?)
:
: Any help would be greatly appreciated...
:
:
: -Dan
:
: +-----------------------------------------------------------+
: |  ______                                                   |
: | ||   |o|  Daniel Zenchelsky  --  dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu  |
: | ||___| |                                                  |
: | |   _  |  "Yes, but every time I try to see things your   |
: | \_[]_|_|   way, I get a headache."                        |
: |                                                           |
: +-----------------------------------------------------------+
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

ICSRXP@ASUACAD.BITNET (Ron Page) (06/28/89)

HELP

| Ronald D. Page                              |  (602) 965-5312            |
| Information Analysis and Mail Services      |                            |
| Computing and Network Consulting Services   |  ICSRXP@ASUACAD            |
| Arizona State University                    |  KGRXP@ASUACVAX            |
| Tempe, Arizona 85287-0101                   |  kgrxp@acvax.inre.asu.edu  |
|_____________________________________________|____________________________|

casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov (12/22/89)

Are there any other disk controllers for the AMI that will control
either SCSI or MFM type drives other than the C= 2090A ?

As usual, any help would be appreciated....

Richard Casebolt
205-544-2966

871579l@aucs.uucp (Todd Lowe) (01/18/90)

I just accidentally deleted all the files on my boot partition of my hard
drive.  Now stupid me, I remembered  that DISKDOCTOR will sometimes recover
deleted files so I used it.  Well it recovered some, created some, and deleted
some (some subdirs had escaped my mistake :-)  ).

Ok so it worked (sort of) better than nothing, but it did one strange thing.

My S directory still exists, but the dir entry doesn't.
DIR, LIST, BROWSER, ARP's file requester do not see it, but if I type
cd s: then I'm in it and all the files are good.

If anyone knows something better than diskdoctor for undelete or what
happened to my S directory please let me know.

Todd Lowe
871579l@aucs

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (01/22/90)

In article <1990Jan18.044438.17775@aucs.uucp> 871579l@aucs.uucp (Todd Lowe) writes:
>My S directory still exists, but the dir entry doesn't.
>DIR, LIST, BROWSER, ARP's file requester do not see it, but if I type
>cd s: then I'm in it and all the files are good.

I don't know what happened to your S: directory, but I know a way that should
recover from it.  First, make a temporary directory.  The cd to your semi-
existant s: directory, copy all the file to the temp directory, then delete
all the files from s:.  Try backing up a level and deleting the s: directory
itself, too.  Then rename the temp directory to s: and you should be all
set.

DiskSalv is much better than diskdoctor.  Version 1.42 (the latest?) is
available on Fish Disk 251.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
It's only impossible until it's done.              | Steve King  (708) 991-8056

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (01/22/90)

In item 4044, Todd Lowe writes:
>If anyone knows something better than diskdoctor for undelete or what
>happened to my S directory please let me know.

There's a PD program called DiskSalve that works wonders.  It would behoove
Commodore to talk to the author (name not available to me right now) and see
about including it in WB1.4...  The folks on BIX rave about it, and one
person recently used it to restore his entire hard drive.

uunet!tronsbox!bleys uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!billc   bcavanaugh on BIX

"The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"

                             Finagle's First Law

casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov (02/13/90)

This has probably been beat to death on the network but I need some info.

Is there a was to partition a hard disk on the AMIGA side for the 2088 Bridge.
... and access it from the IBM side... I know it can be done the other way
... IBM disk on the IBM side mounted by the amiga side but I don't know about
the reverse...

As usual any help would be appreciated....

Thanks ,

Richard Casebolt

dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (David R. Tyler) (10/02/90)

 sorry for the play on words, but this gadget thing is driving me nuts!

 I am defining a screen full of BOOL gadgets, with Intuitext as the
 main component and a double border, (one border structure chains into
 another), to allow me to make a "3Dish" effect.

 My problem is, i want most of these gadgets to be disabled or "GHOSTED"
 until one of 2 gadgets is selected (that is, i want them disabled until
 the user decides what he wants to do).

 I have been setting the Gadget.Flags field to GADGDISABLED (when Created) and then
 testing for those 2 gadgets (above), when they are selected, it was supposed
 to UNGHOST all of them, (via OnGadget, and then a RefreshGList)...

 the wierd thing is, only the BORDERS UNGHOSTED! The Text stayed Ghosted,
 and you could select any of the gadgets (atleast that much worked!)

 My Need is, HOW do i get this darn thing to UNGHOST the TEXT!?

 i have also tried:

 resetting the GADGDISABLED flag manually and then refreshing. I have also tried
 removing each gadget, resetting the flag, Adding it back in, and then refreshing.

 none of these worked either!

 My Roomie just suggested i might want to make my GadgetWindow a
  SMARTREFRESH window, but would that affect gadgets?????

 sorry if i rambled, but i have been at this for hours now, and it's
  very late here...

 Hope someone can help...
--

 David R. Tyler        //\\	       Tyler33@Snybufva.Bitnet
The Amiga Aquarium \\ //==\\	   dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (10/04/90)

In article <dave.4984@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us>, dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (David R. Tyler) writes:
>  sorry for the play on words, but this gadget thing is driving me nuts!
>
>  I am defining a screen full of BOOL gadgets, with Intuitext as the
>  main component and a double border, (one border structure chains into
>  another), to allow me to make a "3Dish" effect.
>
>  My problem is, i want most of these gadgets to be disabled or "GHOSTED"
>  until one of 2 gadgets is selected (that is, i want them disabled until
>  the user decides what he wants to do).
>
>  I have been setting the Gadget.Flags field to GADGDISABLED (when Created) and then
>  testing for those 2 gadgets (above), when they are selected, it was supposed
>  to UNGHOST all of them, (via OnGadget, and then a RefreshGList)...
>
>  the wierd thing is, only the BORDERS UNGHOSTED! The Text stayed Ghosted,
>  and you could select any of the gadgets (atleast that much worked!)
>
>  My Need is, HOW do i get this darn thing to UNGHOST the TEXT!?

What I did was pretty bodgy, but I never heard of better:
Before refreshing the gadgets, draw an area filled rectangle the size
of the gadget in background colour, then refresh. This removes the
residual screen hash from ghosting.

Regards Alan

vpopesc%neptune@calstatela.edu (valentin popescu 11-12-90) (11/22/90)

help

SH941727%CCNYVME.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (01/07/91)

How do I use this amiga-rely@ee.udel.edu?

pmorris@bbn.com (Phil Morris) (01/26/91)

Please help ...

First of all, I just tried ftp'ing to ux1.cso.uiuc.edu and it replied:

Connected to ux1.cso.uiuc.edu.
421- Cannot map IP address into host name.  We only accept FTP connections
     from recognized sites.  Get your system administrator to fix your domain
     servers or try again in a few minutes when the DNS has the translation.
421 FTP connection refused, closing connection.

which I showed to my sys admin who does not know what it means/wants.
Can anybody help????

2nd -- I've been trying for over 3 weeks now to get on the amiga-relay and
other related mailing lists to no avail.  Can anybody make any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Respond by e-mail as I cannot receive amiga-relay.

-Phil Morris

--------
Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)
Disclaimer: ME? I'm only a non-smoking cat; can't believe a word I meow.