[comp.sys.amiga] Term program needed

eretherf@math-cs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) (01/25/91)

Greetings All,

This semester I will be working on an IBM VM/CMS system. This system needs a
term program that can send a "CLEAR" to get to the next screen and a "RESET"
so that a lost program is cancelled. I have JR-Comm (unregistered, sorry) and
Handshake 2.12. I have beat every key combination to find this sequence but to
no avail. Will VLT do it??

Thanks for any help!

Eric Retherford

ST402248@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Scott Porter) (01/26/91)

>From: Eric Von Retherford <eretherf@mcs.kent.edu>
>Date: 25 Jan 91 15:06:23 GMT
>
>Greetings All,
>
>This semester I will be working on an IBM VM/CMS system. This system needs a
>term program that can send a "CLEAR" to get to the next screen and a "RESET"
>so that a lost program is cancelled. I have JR-Comm (unregistered, sorry) and
>Handshake 2.12. I have beat every key combination to find this sequence but to
>no avail. Will VLT do it??

You have hit on one of the main difficulties with communicating with an
IBM mainframe, but you've only discovered a piece of the problem.  The big
problem is that VM/CMS usually (not allways, because of layered terminal
handling programs) requires one to use an IBM 3270 terminal.  This terminal
does a great deal of local processing before sending things off to the
IBM mainframe.  There are 3270 emulators for PC's, UNIX machines, VMS
machines, etc, but as far as I know not for the Amiga.  Now, if you can
get the VM/CMS machine to respond at all using one of these Amiga
terminal emulators than you are probably also going through another
terminal emulator you don't know about closer to the mainframe which
is probably mapping a VT100 onto an IBM 3270, in which case you just
haven't hit the right key combination to find PA1, and PA2.  This is
how it works on the machine I'm using now which maps PA1 to ^P 1 and
PA2 to ^P 2.  I know this is confusing, so the best way to handle
it is to call a system consultant and ask them what to do to talk
to VM/CMS with a VT100 terminal.

On a side note, the VLT emulator is designed for connecting with
a VT100 -> 3270 converter, since you will notice that it has all
20 PF keys and PA1, PA2 drawn on the bottom of the screen for use
with a mouse.  It works really well for me over the modem which
connects to our IBM mainframe through a terminal conversion program.

I hope some of this helps.

                          -- Scott (ST402248@brownvm.brown.edu)

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan25.150623.22761@mcs.kent.edu>, eretherf@math-cs.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) writes:
> This semester I will be working on an IBM VM/CMS system. This system needs a
> term program that can send a "CLEAR" to get to the next screen and a "RESET"
> so that a lost program is cancelled. I have JR-Comm (unregistered, sorry) and
> Handshake 2.12. I have beat every key combination to find this sequence but to
> no avail. Will VLT do it??

Try <ESC>.  (Hitting the escape key and then the period key.)

Also, to get the pfkeys, <ESC>1 is pf1, <ESC>2 is pf2 and so on. (This
should work in any term prg, as long as your cms system supports whatever
emulation they offer. (And its pretty poor emulation if they don't emulate
the functions keys or other special keys on the keyboard)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pondscum@zooid (Lima Bone) (01/27/91)

ST402248@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Scott Porter) writes:

> >From: Eric Von Retherford <eretherf@mcs.kent.edu>
> >Date: 25 Jan 91 15:06:23 GMT
> >
> >Greetings All,
> >
> >This semester I will be working on an IBM VM/CMS system. This system needs a
> >term program that can send a "CLEAR" to get to the next screen and a "RESET"
> >so that a lost program is cancelled. I have JR-Comm (unregistered, sorry) an
> >Handshake 2.12. I have beat every key combination to find this sequence but
> >no avail. Will VLT do it??
>
> You have hit on one of the main difficulties with communicating with an
> IBM mainframe, but you've only discovered a piece of the problem.  The big
> problem is that VM/CMS usually (not allways, because of layered terminal
> handling programs) requires one to use an IBM 3270 terminal.  This terminal
> does a great deal of local processing before sending things off to the
> IBM mainframe.  There are 3270 emulators for PC's, UNIX machines, VMS
> machines, etc, but as far as I know not for the Amiga.  Now, if you can
> get the VM/CMS machine to respond at all using one of these Amiga
> terminal emulators than you are probably also going through another
> terminal emulator you don't know about closer to the mainframe which
> is probably mapping a VT100 onto an IBM 3270, in which case you just
> haven't hit the right key combination to find PA1, and PA2.  This is
> how it works on the machine I'm using now which maps PA1 to ^P 1 and
> PA2 to ^P 2.  I know this is confusing, so the best way to handle
> it is to call a system consultant and ask them what to do to talk
> to VM/CMS with a VT100 terminal.
>
> On a side note, the VLT emulator is designed for connecting with
> a VT100 -> 3270 converter, since you will notice that it has all
> 20 PF keys and PA1, PA2 drawn on the bottom of the screen for use
> with a mouse.  It works really well for me over the modem which
> connects to our IBM mainframe through a terminal conversion program.
>
> I hope some of this helps.
>
>                           -- Scott (ST402248@brownvm.brown.edu)

 Yes, but do you really need all of the PF Keys for the VM/CMS system?

 I work for IBM and use VM every day and I don't think I have ever used a
PFkey higher than 12. Perhaps when I subscribe to a tools disk I use the pf
16 key or something, but there is an alternative in the 1-12 range. To
survive VM with an amiga without all 24 function keys...you would probably
need the following:

PF3 PF4(for ridding yourself of unwanted mail!) PF5 PF6 PF7 PF8 PF9
PF10 PF11 PF12

Oh, I suppose you would need PF2 as well to use thw "BROWSE" Command
but couldn't you type all of these commands that the PF keys represent
on any VM/CMS command line?

 Lima