[comp.sys.amiga] Public Accessable Unix questions

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (01/16/91)

["This is a highly complex set of variables to coordinate Doctor"-Data]

I may me losing my account on this system in the near future.

Any recommendations on some of the public un*x systems would be
helpful. Portal, vs. NetCom, etc. Do they support FTP? Local storage?
Access beyond UseNet? How good is their interface?

mike

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (01/27/91)

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) writes:

> Any recommendations on some of the public un*x systems would be
> helpful. Portal, vs. NetCom, etc. Do they support FTP? Local storage?
> Access beyond UseNet? How good is their interface?

Mike,

You seem to be in California. Too bad, because if you were up
here in northern Indiana you could subscribe to NSTAR real cheap.
I was going to go with Portal over Usenet Comm Services and PSINet because
they seemed to offer the most bangperbuck for usenet access, and were
available through PC-Pursuit and Telenet. Lucky for me I found a local
semi-commercial (hobby?) BBS that fills all my needs at a price I can
afford. My suggestion to you is to scout around your local area for
a similar enthusiast's set-up. Or see if your local community college
will let you have an account for a nomical fee.
BTW, I'm not familiar with NetCom and have no direct experience with
any of the commercial PA sites beyond what literature they have.
Also, if you get Real Desparate, you might look into domains that
offer FIDO to Usenet gateways. There's lots of FIDO boards around
and some may offer a way to get the conferences and mail services you
crave. FTP, etc., will probably not be available.

Good luck!   -- Travis --

--
internet: {tbissett@nstar.rn.com -or- tbissett%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
uucp:     {..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!tbissett -or- ..!uunet!nstar!tbissett