[comp.sys.amiga] opean Personal Computer Sales?

robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) (01/15/91)

Hi,
Could someone post real numbers of personal computer sales (Amiga, Apple,
Dos, Atari).  We have had some rediculous debates on our club BBS with someone
even claiming the ST was the largest personal computer in Europe.  How many
Amigae were sold last year?  I want real numbers, nt Ataris "Billions and
Billions".

--
Robert Moldenhauer                              One People
U.S. Snail: 30 Lathrop St.,                     One Planet

In article <1694@madnix.UUCP> robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:
>Hi,
>Could someone post real numbers of personal computer sales (Amiga, Apple,
>Dos, Atari).  We have had some rediculous debates on our club BBS with someone
>even claiming the ST was the largest personal computer in Europe.  How many
>Amigae were sold last year?  I want real numbers, nt Ataris "Billions and
>Billions".

	Here's the best I can do. Commodore officially announced
the sale of the 2 millionth Amiga in October. We have just passed
the Christmas season. Over 7/1/89--6/30/90 there were 550,000
A500s sold, and sales are reportedly up 20%. I don't think it is
unreasonable to assume that there are close to 2.5 million Amigas
currently sold.

	As to Apple and IBM, I read a report that the Mac will
surpass the 7 million mark in 1992 and that MS-DOS clones will be
well over the 80 million mark in 1992.

>--
>Robert Moldenhauer                              One People
>U.S. Snail: 30 Lathrop St.,                     One Planet
>            Madison, Wis 53705 USA              Please!
>BITNET: rmoldenhauer@WISCMACC      INTERNET: rmoldenhauer@VMS.MACC.WISC.EDU

	-- Ethan

	"What a waste it is to lose one's mind,
or not to have a mind... How true that is."

	-- Dan Quayle, of course. Our beloved Vice President.
	It's just too easy!

In article <1694@madnix.UUCP> robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:
>Hi,
>Could someone post real numbers of personal computer sales (Amiga, Apple,
>Dos, Atari).  We have had some rediculous debates on our club BBS with someone
>even claiming the ST was the largest personal computer in Europe.  How many
>Amigae were sold last year?  I want real numbers, nt Ataris "Billions and
>Billions".

Sorry that I can't serve with exactly these numbers. The TOTAL number
of Amigas (all models, sales since 1985) has now passed the 2 million
limit in November. How many of this was in 1990 I don't know.
From what I heard here in Germany and from other European countries,
Amiga might sell approximately double as many machines as Atari,
but admitted, this is a rough guess. It is at least two years ago
that Atari sold more machines than Amiga, as far as I heard. But back
in those times that was true because of Atari's lower prices.

estdwha@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP) (01/18/91)

In article <1694@madnix.UUCP> robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:
>Hi,
>Could someone post real numbers of personal computer sales (Amiga, Apple,
>Dos, Atari).  We have had some rediculous debates on our club BBS with someone
 ^^^

What's a "Dos"? I've never heard of that kind of computer/manufacturer?

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan18.132404.17350@warwick.ac.uk> estdwha@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP) writes:
>In article <1694@madnix.UUCP> robert@madnix.UUCP (Robert Moldenhauer) writes:
>>Hi,
>>Could someone post real numbers of personal computer sales (Amiga, Apple,
>>Dos, Atari).  We have had some rediculous debates on our club BBS with someone
> ^^^
>
>What's a "Dos"? I've never heard of that kind of computer/manufacturer?

He means MS-Dos (IBM PC) compatible machines. For some reason, these machines
tend to be quite popular. Dunno why :-)

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@commodore.COM
                                              | or uunet!cbmvax!spence
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | "A picture is worth 1000
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | words, or about 300,000

agnus@amylnd.stgt.sub.org (Matthias Zepf) (01/20/91)

In article <1694@madnix.UUCP>, Robert Moldenhauer writes:
>Could someone post real numbers of personal computer sales (Amiga, Apple,
>Dos, Atari).  We have had some rediculous debates on our club BBS with
>someone even claiming the ST was the largest personal computer in Europe.
>How many Amigae were sold last year?  I want real numbers, nt Ataris
>"Billions and Billions".

Of course, there are many ST sold in Europe, especially in Germany, but
the Atari ST is far away from being "the largest personal computer in
Europe". STs are mainly bought because of their 70-Hz monochrom display.
But there are much more Amiga 500 sold in Germany simple for playing
video games. Today nearly nobody buys an Atari ST and also noone buys an
Atari TT. But there are many A3000 sold in Germany. Our local computer
shop sold about 45 A3000 till today and really 0 (NULL, zero) TTs!

Greets, Matthias

--
Matthias Zepf * Riegelaeckerstrasse 27 * D-7250 Leonberg * Reunited Germany
*PHONE* (+49) 7152 41917     *UUCP*  agnus@amylnd.stgt.sub.org

ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan22.145423.467@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>In article <73.279A91D9@ijcr.fidonet.org> Darin.Arrick@ijcr.fidonet.org (Darin Arrick) writes:
>> In Europe, the PC doesn't have such a stronghold as in the States. The
>>Europeans look at other alternatives, mainly the ST and Amiga.
>>

>He is rather far from the truth. The PC, while not as dominant as in the US,
>certainly has a firm grip on the market. The second best selling machine is
>the Mac, with Amiga and ST bringing up the rear. There are no other brands
>worth mentioning right now. The Amiga is outselling the ST everywhere and
>I think it is gaining ground on the Mac as well.
>
>/Jorgen

One has to remember that Europe is not just one single homogenous market, but a
number of different ones. As Jorgen points out, PC-clones are quite strong, at
least in some countries. I find more similarities between Sweden and the US than
between Sweden and Germany regarding the market share.

--
-Erik Lundevall             "You never fail until you have stopped trying"
email:  ludde@nada.kth.se

In article <1991Jan22.145423.467@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:

>He is rather far from the truth. The PC, while not as dominant as in the US,
>certainly has a firm grip on the market. The second best selling machine is
>the Mac, with Amiga and ST bringing up the rear. There are no other brands
>worth mentioning right now. The Amiga is outselling the ST everywhere and
>I think it is gaining ground on the Mac as well.

Sorry, I have no exact figures, but this again is not true after
what I hear, at least not for Germany. Apple is NOT dominant in
any aspect, they sell about half as many machines as Commodore
(I think, I heard it this way. Apple has (had?) a definite high-
price policy here.) Yes, and it is true that the Amiga outsells
the ST, but only since the last approx. two years, before that Atari
sold more machines.

And yes, the PCs dominate strongly above all. But again, Commodore
is a strong contender here, number 2 after IBM.

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (01/24/91)

In article <778@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <1991Jan22.145423.467@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>>
>>He is rather far from the truth. The PC, while not as dominant as in the US,
>>certainly has a firm grip on the market. The second best selling machine is
>>the Mac, with Amiga and ST bringing up the rear. There are no other brands
>>worth mentioning right now. The Amiga is outselling the ST everywhere and
>>I think it is gaining ground on the Mac as well.
>
>Sorry, I have no exact figures, but this again is not true after
>what I hear, at least not for Germany. Apple is NOT dominant in
>any aspect, they sell about half as many machines as Commodore
>(I think, I heard it this way. Apple has (had?) a definite high-
>price policy here.) Yes, and it is true that the Amiga outsells
>the ST, but only since the last approx. two years, before that Atari
>sold more machines.

Is this figure for amigas or for pc's or both? Mixing the two doesn't
give a true picture as the interesting thing is how the amiga platform
is developing. Does anyone know how the 3000 is doing?

>And yes, the PCs dominate strongly above all. But again, Commodore
>is a strong contender here, number 2 after IBM.
>
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?

In article <1991Jan24.042848.17544@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>In article <778@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>
>>Sorry, I have no exact figures, but this again is not true after
>>what I hear, at least not for Germany. Apple is NOT dominant in
>>any aspect, they sell about half as many machines as Commodore
>>(I think, I heard it this way. Apple has (had?) a definite high-
>>price policy here.) Yes, and it is true that the Amiga outsells
>>the ST, but only since the last approx. two years, before that Atari
>>sold more machines.
>
>Is this figure for amigas or for pc's or both? Mixing the two doesn't
>give a true picture as the interesting thing is how the amiga platform
>is developing.

When comparing with IBM, only professional machines are counted, so
MS-DOS PCs and the bigger Amigas (>= A2000). When comparing
to Atari STs, only Amigas (all models) are counted. And notice, my
quoted relations only refer to *number* of machines; when considering
value you get a slightly different image because of high-price policy
of some contenders...

> Does anyone know how the 3000 is doing?

Don't have figures.