[comp.sys.amiga] Update on a previous post about BaseBoard expan sys.

cpc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Chris Cebelenski) (01/18/91)

This is an update to a previous posting:

Recently I had the honor of owning and working with my own BaseBoard 4MB
expansion system for my A500...  Well, at least for a short time...

Expansion Systems has put out a rather nice product.  The hardware is
solid and well constructed, and they did the best they could without
moving to the expansion buss (it's one of those gary-socket boards)

Everything seemed to work fine, EXCEPT that the clock would NOT hold
it's time or date over a cold boot.  Warm boot, fine, cold boot, no.

Now I must say that this miffed me a little bit.  I also must appliaud
Expansion System's EXCELLENT technical service people!! Not only did they
sit and talk with me for awhile, but during the course of two weeks we
exchanged three different Gary-boards and two different Gary-chips via
second day air (at their expense.)

Alas, all was for naught.  It seems that their product is completetly
incompatible with VERY EARLY A500's.  If you bought your A500 early (IE:
paid the full almost-$800 price), you might be troubled with some incompatibility
problems later...  I also own a Supra HD interface (A very old one, and I
hacked together my own HD from components) so I might try the 2Mb supra
board and spend the rest of the money left over on an At-Once board or
something.  Any comments or alternative suggestions??

    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/
NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (01/29/91)

In article <9101180352.AA02634@czaeap.UUCP> claris!portal!czaeap!cpc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Chris Cebelenski) writes:
>This is an update to a previous posting:
>
>Recently I had the honor of owning and working with my own BaseBoard 4MB
>expansion system for my A500...  Well, at least for a short time...
>
>Everything seemed to work fine, EXCEPT that the clock would NOT hold
>it's time or date over a cold boot.  Warm boot, fine, cold boot, no.
>
>Alas, all was for naught.  It seems that their product is completetly
>incompatible with VERY EARLY A500's.  If you bought your A500 early (IE:
>paid the full almost-$800 price), you might be troubled with some incompatibility
>problems later...  I also own a Supra HD interface (A very old one, and I
>hacked together my own HD from components) so I might try the 2Mb supra
>board and spend the rest of the money left over on an At-Once board or
>something.  Any comments or alternative suggestions??

  Last summer I went 2 months without using my 6mth old A500 and 3mth old
Baseboard (and survived).

  In September when I turned it back on, my computer didn't work. After some
fidgeting, I got it to work. No exp ram was available and the clock was
wrong. Eventually I got the clock to survive colde boots. Eventually the ram
also worked, although it soon disappeared. My screen drew horizontal lines
covering half the screen until my system 'warmed up' (10 minutes). After it never ever worked again, I paid $30 to have it cleaned and it now works fine,
although the clock occasionally does something goofy.

>    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
>    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
>			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
>				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
> "Better dead than mellow"     \X/
>NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
>reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!

DavidTiberio SUNYStonyBrook2-3605 AMIGA TotoProductions DDDMEN