[comp.sys.amiga] The Story of Two Problems

zach@mic.Lonestar.Org (Zach Steele) (01/05/91)

	I've been having two major problems on my Amiga 1000(#!%#) lately
and I was hoping to get them solved. Problem#1 is a problem with prefrences.
When I change Prefrences to make it go into interlaced mode and then I boot up
,It dosen't go into interlaced mode. Then I checked Prefrences and found out
that the on button for interlace was back at off again. Any Ideas about this
one? I'm running workbench 1.2(!#%@) with an 80meg harddrive if it helps any.
Problem#2 happens when I go to open my second partitions window in workbench.
When I double click on the icon it gives me and error of "Ran out of memory.
Please free some and try again." This is an exact qoute. I couldn't believe
this since I had over 2megs of memory free. I tried taking everything out of
memory that I could and it still gave me the same error. These problems
are not that major but I  would like them fixed.
* Zach Steele	  	* Famous Last Words: "Only a tiny,tiny,tiny little   *
* zach@mic.lonestar.org * thing" Dumbell the Fighter.		    	     *

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan5.003008.8954@mic.Lonestar.Org> zach@mic.Lonestar.Org (Zach Steele) writes:

>	I've been having two major problems on my Amiga 1000(#!%#) lately
>and I was hoping to get them solved. Problem#1 is a problem with prefrences.
>When I change Prefrences to make it go into interlaced mode and then I boot up
>,It dosen't go into interlaced mode. Then I checked Prefrences and found out
>that the on button for interlace was back at off again. Any Ideas about this
>one? I'm running workbench 1.2(!#%@) with an 80meg harddrive if it helps any.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, it does.  This implies that you are booting from a floppy, then
transferring control to the Hard Drive.  When you change the preferences,
you change the 'devs:system-configuration' file on the hard drive, not the boot
floppy.

Hope this helps you.

>* Zach Steele	  	* Famous Last Words: "Only a tiny,tiny,tiny little   *
>* zach@mic.lonestar.org * thing" Dumbell the Fighter.		    	     *

Jay Ward --> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu | if (TrailBlazers > Opponents)
"                 " - Marcel Marceau | 		TrailBlazerWins++;

In article <1991Jan5.003008.8954@mic.Lonestar.Org> zach@mic.Lonestar.Org (Zach Steele) writes:

>	I've been having two major problems on my Amiga 1000(#!%#) lately
>and I was hoping to get them solved. Problem#1 is a problem with prefrences.
>When I change Prefrences to make it go into interlaced mode and then I boot up
>,It dosen't go into interlaced mode. Then I checked Prefrences and found out
>that the on button for interlace was back at off again.

Can it be that you still use a boot floppy disk? Then the data written
by Preferences are probably stored on your HD, but are still read from
your floppy on next boot. So try to copy the file devs/system-configuration
from your HD to your boot floppy.

>Problem#2 happens when I go to open my second partitions window in workbench.
>When I double click on the icon it gives me and error of "Ran out of memory.
>Please free some and try again." This is an exact qoute. I couldn't believe
>this since I had over 2megs of memory free.

This perhaps depends on the sort of memory expansion you use. If this
is only Fast RAM, then you are still stuck with only 256 KB Chip RAM.
And this is indeed object to get filled fast.

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (01/12/91)

> When I change Prefrences to make it go into interlaced mode and then I boot up
> ,It dosen't go into interlaced mode. Then I checked Prefrences and found out
> that the on button for interlace was back at off again. Any Ideas about this
> one?

Let me guess.  You boot off floppy, and startup-sequence transfers you to
the hard disk, which has a copy of C: etc.

Preference saves its data in SYS:system-settings or some such thing, but at
any rate it starts SYS:.  SYS: is HD0: or whatever you call your hard disk.
When you boot up, guess what SYS: is.  DF0:.  You have to manually copy
system-settings onto the floppy.

pondscum@zooid (Lima Bone) (01/29/91)

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) writes:

> > When I change Prefrences to make it go into interlaced mode and then I boot
> > ,It dosen't go into interlaced mode. Then I checked Prefrences and found ou
> > that the on button for interlace was back at off again. Any Ideas about thi
> > one?
>
> Let me guess.  You boot off floppy, and startup-sequence transfers you to
> the hard disk, which has a copy of C: etc.
>
> Preference saves its data in SYS:system-settings or some such thing, but at
> any rate it starts SYS:.  SYS: is HD0: or whatever you call your hard disk.
> When you boot up, guess what SYS: is.  DF0:.  You have to manually copy
> system-settings onto the floppy.

No...all he has to do is set preferences to interlace mode...save it..then
re-boot...it will not change the screen to interlace mode even if you use
the USE thingy. I just tried that yesterday actually..and had the same
problem..it kept switching back to OFF, I simply put it ON, SAVEd, and
rebooted and it was in interlace no problem...perhaps a BUG? I dunno.

 Lima Bone - the SLIMEY ONE

In article <40Jiw1w162w@zooid> pondscum@zooid (Lima Bone) writes:

>No...all he has to do is set preferences to interlace mode...save it..then
>re-boot...it will not change the screen to interlace mode even if you use
>the USE thingy. I just tried that yesterday actually..and had the same
>problem..it kept switching back to OFF, I simply put it ON, SAVEd, and
>rebooted and it was in interlace no problem...perhaps a BUG? I dunno.

If this is still under 1.3 (or earlier) then it is normal behaviour.
The change to interlace only gets active after next boot.
So, for the special case of interlace on these system versions, the
USE button is in fact useless :-).