[comp.sys.amiga] Bridgeboard Accelerators?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/18/89)

A friend has a 2000 with the Bridgeboard, and he's wondering if there
are any of the fairly inexpensive accelerators that will work with the
Bridgeboard. He's heard of the PC elevator, but that's nearly the same
price as the new AT Bridgeboard. He's hoping that there's something in
the $200-300 dollar range that will work.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) (07/20/89)

A friend of mine replaced the 8086 on the bridgeboard with a NEC(?) V20
chip and it did not work.  Just a word of warning.
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (07/21/89)

In article <769@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Co-op Student) writes:

>A friend of mine replaced the 8086 on the bridgeboard with a NEC(?) V20
>chip and it did not work.  Just a word of warning.

The NEC V20 is *not* a replacement for the 8086, it is a replacement for
the 8088.  The V30 is the replacement for the 8086.

So does the bridgeboard use an 8086 or 8088?  If an 8086, there's your
friend's problem.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (07/24/89)

in article <18808@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu>,
ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) says:
> In article <769@bnr-fos.UUCP> protcoop@bnr-public.UUCP (Co-op Student) writes:
>>A friend of mine replaced the 8086 on the bridgeboard with a NEC(?) V20
>>chip and it did not work.  Just a word of warning.
> The NEC V20 is *not* a replacement for the 8086, it is a replacement for
> the 8088.  The V30 is the replacement for the 8086.
>
> So does the bridgeboard use an 8086 or 8088?  If an 8086, there's your
> friend's problem.

	The Bridgeboard uses an 8088.  It will "sorta" work with a NEC
V20.  Most of the RAM will fail the power on tests, the floppy drive
won't work reliably (or maybe not at all).  There are also  problems
when writing to the dual port RAM used for the display.  PC side hard
drives seem to work fine.

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (01/30/91)

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) writes:

> A couple of questions...
> - First, does anyone know if Intel's "INBOARD 386 PC" accelerator works
>   with the 2088 XT Bridgeboard?

I vaguely recall that CBM was demonstrating that a Cheetah 386 worked with
the 2088 to meet the criticism of lacking a 20386. The Intel accelerator of
course may or may not work, so this is not much help. Is your seller close
enough to arrange a no-risk trial? As for the ram: I'd be more than
a little surprised if the 386 type of memory agreed in type or speed with
the xt ram. You're in a better position to get the specifics of chip type
and speed requirements of 2088 vs. 386. There ought to be a way, too, of
setting the ram spcae on the 2088 -- but I'm not an expert on that either.
Good luck!

++++++++++++++  Travis Bissett := Cult Amigoid   ++++++++++++

--
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com -or- tbissett%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
uucp:     ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!tbissett -or- ..!uunet!nstar!tbissett

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (01/30/91)

In article <5B0Jw3w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
>guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) writes:
>
>> A couple of questions...
>> - First, does anyone know if Intel's "INBOARD 386 PC" accelerator works
>>   with the 2088 XT Bridgeboard?
>>

>I vaguely recall that CBM was demonstrating that a Cheetah 386 worked with
>the 2088 to meet the criticism of lacking a 20386. The Intel accelerator of
>course may or may not work, so this is not much help. Is your seller close
>enough to arrange a no-risk trial? As for the ram: I'd be more than
>a little surprised if the 386 type of memory agreed in type or speed with
>the xt ram. You're in a better position to get the specifics of chip type
>and speed requirements of 2088 vs. 386. There ought to be a way, too, of
>setting the ram spcae on the 2088 -- but I'm not an expert on that either.
>Good luck!
>
>++++++++++++++  Travis Bissett := Cult Amigoid   ++++++++++++

Travis, thanks for the reply.  I live in MN and the guy selling the INBOARD
386 is in CA so it would be a one time shot.  I know of the SOTA 386 board
which works with the 2088 but does not allow the use of the MSMouse emulation
so am not too keen on getting that one.

I'm more inclined to try a '286 and see if I can get one to work (those I can
get locally).  I have had a time even getting a V20 to work in my 2088.
wound up having to replace the FE2010 chip with a FE2010-A (very hard to
find!).  Then I got the Janus update and the new ROM (can't remember
the number off hand...) and now it works fine with a NEC V20.  I'll post
if I find anymore out!