[comp.sys.amiga] AUX: terminal on Amiga Serial Port

colin@motto.UUCP (Colin Chisholm) (02/08/91)

   Hello!

I am trying to run a dumb terminal off of my Amiga 1000 serial port
using the "NEWSHELL AUX:" command (after mounting the standard AUX:
device). I hooked up my terminal and it worked! I just happened to
set the terminal to the correct parameters (9600 baud, 8 data bits,
no parity). There was no indication in the AmigaDos 1.3 supplements
to indicate that this was the set up.

I was wondering:

[1] Is there any way to adjust the serial parameters (ie: higher
baud rate, parity changes, etc)? I am assuming not.

[2] I tried running Manx's VI-like editor Z and got a software
error: I am assuming that Z wont work properly from an AUX:
terminal. Does anyone know of a decent editor that will work under
such a set up? (mail me the source code for any suitable PD editors
and I will be eternally grateful).

[3] Are there any alternate PD device handlers I could mount and
use to replace AUX: that would handle a terminal as I want? (Again,
if you mailed me the source code...)

In case you're wondering, my primary interest in this set up is to
have a decent terminal for text editing work (my Amiga monitor
leaves a little to be desired in that area).

Please email your responses to me at the address below and thanks
in advance.

**********************COLIN CHISHOLM**************************
*   Communications Division, Motorola Canada Ltd., Toronto   *
*            UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!motto!colin               *

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/08/91)

>device). I hooked up my terminal and it worked! I just happened to
>set the terminal to the correct parameters (9600 baud, 8 data bits,
>no parity). There was no indication in the AmigaDos 1.3 supplements
>to indicate that this was the set up.

>[1] Is there any way to adjust the serial parameters (ie: higher
>baud rate, parity changes, etc)? I am assuming not.

Use Pefences (sic) to set up the serial paramters.
But to get them To work i think ya must reboot...
unless ya change them BEFOR ya mount AUX:

>[2] I tried running Manx's VI-like editor Z and got a software
>error: I am assuming that Z wont work properly from an AUX:

there are 2+ VI clones out, Stevi, and another..

There's an EMACS clone on FF354 (Or close) with source.. It
SHOULD be able to work over AUX:

It didsn't work as it was compiled on disk tho)
(With AUX: that is..)

>[3] Are there any alternate PD device handlers I could mount and
>use to replace AUX: that would handle a terminal as I want? (Again,
>if you mailed me the source code...)

No idea, one with a Termcap option would be nice tho.
--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:
 IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (02/11/91)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

[ some interesting info about AUX: and editors, etc., deleted ]

>  IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:

Hmmm . . . if ya don't mind my saying "meat an Amiga Owner" (sic) sounds a
little sick :-) Maybe it's just a typo and you meant to write "meet". Ont he
other hand, maybe it's a Freudian Slip kinda thing . . . Not that we should
make too much outta such trivialities :-)

--
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com -or- tbissett%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
uucp:     ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!tbissett -or- ..!uunet!nstar!tbissett

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (02/19/91)

Well I finally decided to get an amiga 3000. I looked at the PC's for
awhile (especially the Gateway 2000) and thought found that the price of
286's had lowered 1000 dollars in 1.5 years, so the 386/25 EISA based
machines should reach under 1200 dollars by next year. I think by then
I would have the money to buy one and then I would have an Amiga 3000
and 386/25 with enough Windows based applications at low-enough price
to get what I want. XGA is nothing to worry about, you might see some
amiga based graphics cards with the XGA chip inside (uses a technique
common to most amiga users). The applications cost too much and are
not as well featured as amiga applications (ofcourse this depends,
I made this judgement upon Autodesk animator which is not as nearly
as goo as most amiga graphics programs). Most PC users figure that
a blitter is only used for CAD programs, others don't even know
what they are. There seems to be no such thing as Hardware multi-tasking,
it seems that the multiple 8086 idea behind the 386 and 486 chips
confuse this issue, it may be possible but not much useful at the
current stage of developement. The equivalent of a Amiga 3000 in the
INTEL world is a 16Mhz 386 (maybe slower) with a EISA bus, a 34010
based VGA card or XGA card, Windows 3.0, an instruction CACHE, and
a ton of ICON oriented MAC quality applications. Notice that DESQview
is still a choice of MSDOS users, incredibly it is going to be another
2 years before you see anything PC based that has the same features as
the Amiga 3000. Also consider that most applications on the PC's
don't use hardly anything to the full extent, like how many 1024X768 VGA
card based PC 386's have you seen running 20 or more programs all supporting
the features of the hardware (chances are nil). I think I know why PC users
look at Amiga's as video game machines, becuase of the sprites (which
don't have to be re-rendered each time they are moved), the Built-in DAC
which makes wonderful music while you work, the ICONS on the screen that
improve speed of moving from application to application becuase you can
pull them out onto the workbench (without seeing any blocky BOBPUT on the
screen like you see on Windows 3.0), the fact that you can use
UNIX-like Shells that are text based, actually I don't know why they
consider Amiga's as video game machines, the last game I bought was
Legend of the Beast which came out a year ago. I'm actually looking at
games like Meanstreets on the PC's, I am loking at the PC's the same
way PC users look at Amiga's. WOW GREAT VIDEO GAMES, HUH. I look
at Amiga's, WOW GREAT WORKSTATION.

Later...
Don't bother the MSDOS users, they still think Amiga's are Atari machines
that were invented in 1985 that could not multi-task, had 3-4 programs
available, and all were video games.