[comp.sys.amiga] New PS/2 ad vs. AMIGA

<SANIIC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/06/91)

Well I just caught a glimpse of a new PS/2 ad on tv.  It tries to compare
I believe the MAC to the PS/2.  Saying that some computers can only do one
thing at a time (demonstrating a desktop publishing package) It then goes on
to say that the PS/2 can put graphics and text on the same page and still have
enough power to get a file using the modem.  Meanwhile it tries to show a speed
comparison by stating that the machine that can do only one thing at a time
would be much less productive(slower).  Anyways I thought this was the type of
ad CBM should be using.  All they have to do is to put a PS/2 and a A500 and
compare them.
                          PS/2             A500
cost(with colour monitor)$1800            $1000+800 for harddrive
processor             10Mhz 80286         7 Mhz 68000
speed without multitasking is about the same
speed with multitasking  VERY SLOW        MUCH FASTER
sound                    extra            built in 4 channel stereo
graphics                 slow             coprocessor for speed(show Animation)
software               both have almost same core packages
                                          more sound/graphics packages
Emulations            Mac with Card       Mac with cheaper card
                                          IBM with card or software
                                          C64 in software
                                          Atari in software
                                          Z81 in software
                                          Apple II+ in software

I wish CBM would do a better job marketing their product to a wider audience.
Only the people who KNOW computers can appreciate its superiority.  Maybe they
should try a marketing campaign set towards the average person, but be sure to
not emphasize games.  For graphics demos show movie clips or ray traced pics
including how long it took to generate them.  Have stereo sound playing, a
modem running, a spreadsheet calculating, a WYSIWYG word processor running and
maybe a small object rotating in the background(or a SMALL multitasking game)
Show the ease of use from the workbench(everything iconized) show how easy it
is to setup a new program on the harddisk and compare that to setting up one
in Windows 3.0(if it works at all)

I think with a wider target audience CBM will eventually bump out IBM from the
top $$$ spot.  But if it remains a hidden treasure only a relatively few
people will appreciate it.

These are my opinions, and the only reason I mention them is the fact that I
felt it should have been CBM making that ad comparing itself against all other
home computers, instead of IBM.  What are the marketing people doing?  I have
only once seen an Amiga ad on TV.  IBM ads on the other hand all the time.

u3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (03/07/91)

G'day,

In article <91065.072344SANIIC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, SANIIC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
> Well I just caught a glimpse of a new PS/2 ad on tv.  It tries to compare
> I believe the MAC to the PS/2.  Saying that some computers can only do one

good article.

I've just reposted it and set followups to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where I
feel it will receive a wider audience.

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.