[comp.sys.amiga] Nice machine

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (03/06/91)

I was just at the Pittsburgh Conference (an analytical chemistry meeting), and
saw a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry workstation based on an Amiga 3000
with a 50 MHz 68030 accelerator board.  WOW.  Sorry, I forget the company name.
One interesting thing, though, is that the names Commodore and Amiga aren't
visible on the outside of the box.

This friendly message from an Atari ST hard-core-user.
                                         Steve       saj@chinet.chi.il.us

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar05.201755.17698@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
   I was just at the Pittsburgh Conference (an analytical chemistry meeting),
   and saw a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry workstation based on an
   Amiga 3000 with a 50 MHz 68030 accelerator board.  WOW.  Sorry, I forget
   the company name.

That sounds rather strange - a 50MHz 68030 card just doesn't add that
much extra oomph to a 3000; I can't concieve of there being enough of
a market for anyone to bother designing one. Unless maybe it was an
040 card with a fast 030 hacked into it somehow. Or lots of on-board
static RAM, or something.

   One interesting thing, though, is that the names Commodore and Amiga aren't
   visible on the outside of the box.

NewTek has been taking a "black video box" to Mac shows to demo their
spiffy video hardware. It's an A2000 with the markings removed, and a
toaster added.

	<mike
--
Tell me how d'you get to be				Mike Meyer
As beautiful as that?					mwm@pa.dec.com

besst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian E. Schwadron) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar05.201755.17698@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>I was just at the Pittsburgh Conference (an analytical chemistry meeting), and
>saw a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry workstation based on an Amiga 3000
>with a 50 MHz 68030 accelerator board.  WOW.  Sorry, I forget the company name.
>One interesting thing, though, is that the names Commodore and Amiga aren't
>visible on the outside of the box.

     This is the LabData 200 and 300, by Laboratory Data Systems, Inc, a
company based here in Pittsburgh.  They have made A2000-based data systems for
several years (I remember first seeing it at the New Orleans PittCON in 1988).
The 300 is simply a A3000 based system.
     I remember asking them why they chose the Amiga, and they said, "it was
the only system that had the capabilities that they needed," or words to that
effect.  They said that they were considering offering it on a Sun as well,
but apparantly that hasn't panned out.
     From a chemistry point of view, it is a VERY nice system, capable of
data acquisition from several different instruments at once -- my previous
employer considered buying one, but it lacked GC/MS control capabilities.
     Standard disclaimers:  I don't work for LDS (but I wish I did) or make any
money off of this.  If anyone is interested in their phone# and address, mail
me or look at one of their ads (Feb 91 LC*GC, for example).