[comp.sys.amiga] A2500 vs. A3000

sletour@triton.unm.edu (Steve Le Tourneau) (03/29/91)

I currently have an A500 and am in the market to buy a more powerful Amiga.
The problem is, I don't know if I should get an A2500 or an A3000. I am looking
for the Pro's and Con's of each of the two systems.

The system I choose will be used for the following:

	Desk Top Publishing - Writing design specs and user's manuals.
	CAD applications
	PC/AT compatibility (I know, I know!) - For my wife's coursework
	Desk Top Video - I would like to get into this field as a hobbie
	Graphics - Modeling and Animations
	School Work - CS & EE type applications

The salesperson with whom I spoke is directing me towards the A2500 since there
are more I/O slots. He feels this is necessary for the Video applications. He
also mentioned that *certain* programs are not compatible between the two
systems and there are more "tried-and-true" programs for the A2500. Another
consideration was the fact that the Video Toaster did not fit correctly in the
A3000 frame.

He is pushing the AT BridgeBoard for the PC/AT compatibility and
indicated that the BridgeBoard may not run in an A3000. I was thinking about
the ATOnce with my A500 for the PC/AT compability. Are there any thoughts on
these two options?

Finally, I want to make sure that I am purchasing a system with the best upgrade
path. Which machine (A2500 or A3000) will best accomodate future CPU cards and
the like?

If you feel that you have some ideas that could help me with these descisions,
please e-mail a response. I will post an summary of the responses at a later
date.

Thank you in advance!

Steve Le Tourneau

e-mail:	sletour@triton.unm.edu

jph@ais.org (Joseph Hillenburg) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.204943.25899@ariel.unm.edu> sletour@triton.unm.edu (Steve Le Tourneau) writes:

>I currently have an A500 and am in the market to buy a more powerful Amiga.
>The problem is, I don't know if I should get an A2500 or an A3000. I am looking
>for the Pro's and Con's of each of the two systems.
>
>The system I choose will be used for the following:
>
>	Desk Top Publishing - Writing design specs and user's manuals.
>	CAD applications
>	PC/AT compatibility (I know, I know!) - For my wife's coursework
>	Desk Top Video - I would like to get into this field as a hobbie
>	Graphics - Modeling and Animations
>	School Work - CS & EE type applications
>
>The salesperson with whom I spoke is directing me towards the A2500 since there
>are more I/O slots. He feels this is necessary for the Video applications. He
>also mentioned that *certain* programs are not compatible between the two
>systems and there are more "tried-and-true" programs for the A2500. Another
>consideration was the fact that the Video Toaster did not fit correctly in the
>A3000 frame.

The A3000T was just announced. It's HUGE. It's NewTek's faults for making the
Toaster too big. But compatability on applications is about a 90% margin.

>He is pushing the AT BridgeBoard for the PC/AT compatibility and
>indicated that the BridgeBoard may not run in an A3000. I was thinking about
>the ATOnce with my A500 for the PC/AT compability. Are there any thoughts on
>these two options?

On the A3000, all you need to do is turn the cache off, activate the
bridgeboard, and then turn it back on.

>Finally, I want to make sure that I am purchasing a system with the best upgrade
>path. Which machine (A2500 or A3000) will best accomodate future CPU cards and
>the like?

A3000, definately. It's basically a drop-in CPU upgrade.

--
    // Joseph Hillenburg/Blackwinter, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
  \X/    jph@valnet.UUCP          jph@irie.ais.org        jph@gnu.ai.mit.edu