[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet...

	I'm gratified by the number of responses I've gotten on DNET.  The
alpha is now available for ARPAnet users via anonymous ftp to
ucbvax.berkeley.edu.  Hopefully this will mean some good things in a couple
of months for those of you who do not have arpa access.

	The alpha is nearly 380K.. somewhat difficult to send to USENET
sites, but those of you on the USENET who want it should mail me and
include the fastest route you know of to get from me to you.  If you are
too many hops away from a major node I probably will have problems getting
it to you, in which case you can send me EMail and I'll send you the
stuff (but if you can send me EMail asking for my address,and then send me
a disk, that would be MUCH more preferable).

	One of things that will get written soon (has yet to be written)
will be an NFS using DNET... although the current version has a client/server
to send files/directories there is something very special about being
able to CD into DNET: and onto a remote host.

				-Matt

chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) (05/15/88)

  I don't know about the rest of you but when I run dnet.2 (shells archive),
I get a uuencoded file with out a file name in the coded form.  If anybody
got it up and running please re-uuencode the file, and e-mail it to me.

						Thanks.....

--
     /// Amiga Power User - Mr. Chima Ngene        (chima@dasys1)         ///
    ///  {UNIX, & DOS, ETC} Programmer.....        (Take Your Pick)      ///

garyo@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Oberbrunner) (05/18/88)

Somehow our site missed the first shar archive for the Amiga side of Dnet.
I'd appreciate it if someone would mail it to me here.

					Thanks a lot;

					Gary
Remember,			Truth is not beauty;      (617)692-6200x2445
Information is not knowledge;	Beauty is not love;	  Gary   Oberbrunner
Knowledge is not wisdom;	Love is not music;	  ...!masscomp!garyo
Wisdom is not truth;		Music is the best. - FZ   ....garyo@masscomp
--
Remember,			Truth is not beauty;                   x2445
Information is not knowledge;	Beauty is not love;	  Gary   Oberbrunner
Knowledge is not wisdom;	Love is not music;	  ...!masscomp!garyo
Wisdom is not truth;		Music is the best. - FZ   ....garyo@masscomp

conn@boa.gatech.edu (Avery Shealey) (07/06/88)

Has anyone managed to get dnet up on ultrix on a vaxstation II? If you have,
let me know. I have tried it on several different types of machines and I
get the first window to say that it is trying to start up, but it never starts.

thanks
/avery

Avery Shealey
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:  conn@boa.gatech.edu	 CSNet:  conn%boa@gatech
UUCP:  ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ihnp4}!gatech!boa!conn

Avery Shealey
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:  conn@boa.gatech.edu	 CSNet:  conn%boa@gatech

ari@cunixc.columbia.edu (Ari Shamash) (10/10/88)

Since everybody's been talking about DNET lately, I'll throw in my $.02's
worth.

I've been using DNET for the last several months, and I think its one of
the most useful utilities written for the Amiga.  Thanks, Matt!!

I have one question.  I'm not using the C-shell with DNET (I, along with
most people at columbia, use the Korne Shell - KSH).  Does anybody
know if this presents any problems?  I don't see any problems, except the
following:  Sometimes, the correct screen size won't be set correctly for
emacs.  I have to use the resize gadget to force DNET to resize the screen.
Then it works....

Has anybody had any problems with this?

Ari
--
BITNET:   ari@cunixc.bitnet                  Ya know, all science,
Internet: ari@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu           no philosophy..

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/14/89)

The recent posts glorifying DNet re-sparked my interest in this.  I
agree that it is a wonderful package, and should make any Unix-Amiga
connection much more useful.  I'd like to thank those net.people
who answered my requests for help.  Unfortunately, I'm still DNetless.

I believe that the problem lies with the Apollo and their attempts
to "fix" everything that they think is wrong with Unix.  I've recompiled
the Unix sources many times.  For the most part it comes through
cleanly.  Most of the problems seem to be in Apollo's non-standard
"standard include files".  When I run DNet on the Apollo (locally or
from the Amiga) I get just one line in the DNET.LOG file:
	bind: I/O error
and the program terminates, apparently with "exit(1)".

Should I just give up and wait for a "real" Unix machine?
(I've valiantly tried to refrain from any Apollo flaming in this post.)
Thanks in advance.  If I get the thing working, I'll make available
my solution.

Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

ari@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Ari Shamash) (01/31/89)

 []

Has anybody managed to get DNet running at baud rates higher than 4800?  I
can't seem to get it to work at those rates without getting lots of errors
(the errors only show up when doing a statdnet..)  The opening DNet screen
works beautifully at 19200 (so the connection is fine), but as soon as I
get dnet started and I try to open up an FTERM screen, it seems to go
crazy.   If I 'quitdnet', its fine again.  Any ideas?  I have the serial
buffer set to the highest setting in preferences..

I have plain amiga 1000 with two drives..

Thanks in Advance!!
Ari
--

kent@swrinde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (01/31/89)

In article <1186@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> ari@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Ari Shamash) writes:

>Has anybody managed to get DNet running at baud rates higher than 4800?  I
>can't seem to get it to work at those rates without getting lots of errors
>(the errors only show up when doing a statdnet..)  The opening DNet screen
>works beautifully at 19200 (so the connection is fine), but as soon as I
>get dnet started and I try to open up an FTERM screen, it seems to go
>crazy.   If I 'quitdnet', its fine again.  Any ideas?  I have the serial
>buffer set to the highest setting in preferences..
>
>I have plain amiga 1000 with two drives..

I assume you are not using a modem, right? :-)

I am running Dnet at 9600 baud over an RS232-to-current loop converter.
I'm running an A500 & am connected to a Sun. I use this all day long with
no communications errors at all, but then I wouldn't expect any to be
generated over this configuration. You don't mention what host you are
connected to. This might be the source of the problem instead of Dnet.

I also used to run 2400 baud from home with my A1000 before my modem got
trashed by the phone lines (even had surge-suppressors on both the power &
the tel.  line), and I know for a fact that that line was VERY noisy without
Dnet, but never experienced any comm errors running Dnet.

I wish I could try out 19200, but the current loop converter apparently
can't handle more than 9600 baud.

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
{cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (02/01/89)

ari@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Ari Shamash) writes:
> Has anybody managed to get DNet running at baud rates higher than 4800?  I
> can't seem to get it to work at those rates without getting lots of errors
> (the errors only show up when doing a statdnet..)  The opening DNet screen
> works beautifully at 19200 (so the connection is fine), but as soon as I
> get dnet started and I try to open up an FTERM screen, it seems to go
> crazy.   If I 'quitdnet', its fine again.  Any ideas?  I have the serial
> buffer set to the highest setting in preferences..

I run dnet at 19200...  It works fine.  Maybe when you run at the
higher speeds something is trying to use software flow control (^S &
^Q), and thus toasting dnet...

Also, make sure that there isn't any software (like terminal
concentrators) somewhere in between you and the host that intercept
any characters (like ^] in telnet for instance).

-Miles

jw@sics.se (Johan Widen) (02/02/89)

>Has anybody managed to get DNet running at baud rates higher than 4800?  I
>can't seem to get it to work at those rates without getting lots of errors

Certainly: I'm using it reglarly with my Coourier HST. There was a problem
with the timeouts in the Amiga DNET, though. The timeouts are determined
from the baudrate setting of the serial port. My port is set at 19200 baud
so the timeouts become fairly short.

Now, the Courier is an asymmetric modem: 9600 baud in one direction and
450 in the other. The 450 baud backchannel will cause the roundtrip time to
be fairly long. If DNET calculates the timeouts from the 19200 figure, then
it will timeout to early.

I solved the problem by adding a switch to dnet, that supplies the baudrate
to use in the timeout calculations. The default is to use the serial port
setting, as before. 2000 baud seems to be a good value for the Courier.
--
Johan Widen
SICS, PO Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA, SWEDEN

armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Armhold) (02/17/89)

OK, time for a stupid question- what's DNet and what is required to
run it?

		-GEA
Save a bunny- stop the Draize.                     |armhold@topaz.rutgers.edu

"We saw the wrong and the right. We were for life  |Careful with that axe,
and we would never concede it."                    |Eugene...
		-T. Scholz                         |

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/17/89)

Since several people have asked, here is the ``dnet.overview'' from
the Dnet-1.20 distribution.

				DNET OVERVIEW

			       AMIGA/BSD4.3UNIX

What is DNET?

	DNet is a link protocol.  Properly, it should be called DLink, but
DNet sort of stuck so unless I get sued the name will remain DNet.  What DNet
provides is essentially an unlimited number of reliable connections between
processes on machine A and processes on machine B.

	DNet can be run on any Amiga or 4.3UNIX machine.  You can connect
an Amiga with an Amiga, Amiga with UNIX, or UNIX with UNIX.  DNet works
on the Amiga with any EXEC device that looks like a serial.device .  DNet
works on UNIX with tty and socket devices.  DNet achieves better than
95% average throughput (through real-life usage) on file transfers.

	DNet utilizes a client-server relationship, where servers 'listen'
on virtual port numbers for one or more connections from 'clients'.  Servers
are run on-demand if they are listed in the special server file DNET.SERVERS .
For instance, you could have several shell windows, a load average window,
and two file transfers (one in each direction) simultaniously.

	DNet uses a sliding-window protocol which allows up to 4
unacknowledged windows in transit.  The minimum packet size is 3 bytes
(SYNC/CMD/CHK).  Packets which contain data are longer.  No error correction
is used (packets are resent on error), and a two byte enhanced checksum is
used for data sections.  Overlayed on the low level data packets are
higher level multiplexed commands and data that implement virtual
connections and such.

	Connections are prioritized.  For instance, a shell window has
a higher priority than a file transfer.  However, since up to 4 packets
may be queued to the serial line, you will still not get fantastic
per-character response from shell window while a file transfer is going
on.  Block response is better... you get a screen full of data just as
fast with the file transfer than without.

	Since DNet is server based, just about anything can be written for
it.  Already written is a file transfer client/server, shell window,
talk program (when you've got two amiga's connected together), and remote
CLI window (unix->Amiga remote CLI or Amiga->Amiga remote CLI).  In the
future I hope to have an RFS (mount the UNIX filesystem on the Amiga), Mail
(hopefully SMTP), and other clients/servers.

					-Matt
[ The Matt here is Matt Dillon <dillon@postgres@berkeley.edu> ]

Dnet is available via anonymous ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu in
/amiga/dnet-1.20.zoo (and maybe elsewhere).  Don't forget binary mode!!

	...tad

PS: You might guess by now that I like Dnet...

bhenning@bhami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP (Bill Henning) (02/17/89)

Has anyone ported DNet to SCO Xenix (for 386)? I am asking for a
friend. Thanks.
                                                    ...Bill

# Amiga // #   UUCP: {alberta!ubc-vision,ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!bhami!bhenning #
# 1000 //  #   -or-  bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca /* untested at this time */ #
#     //   #   -or-  bhenning@bhami.van-bc.UUCP  /* I prefer UUCP mail    */ #
# \\ //    # BITNET: USERCCPM@SFU.BITNET /* I rarely check for other mail */ #
#  \X/bhami#   ARPA: William_Henning%sfu@um.cc.umich.edu                     #

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (02/18/89)

	Everything is done for the next release except for the BBS client...
another week should see something there and then I'll give it to Bob.

				-Matt

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (02/25/89)

In article <6389@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>One thought. You folks who are having trouble all know that DNET's
>serial line parameters are PREFERENCES-driven, right? All dnet knows
>about the serial line it gets from prerences. Screw up preferences,
>and dnet will not work.

Well, I just now ftp'd the very latest DNET from ucbvax, and checked it
out:

% grep SERF *.c
sernet.c:    ios.io_SerFlags = SERF_SHARED|SERF_XDISABLED|SERF_RAD_BOOGIE;
sernet.c:    ior->io_SerFlags = SERF_SHARED|SERF_XDISABLED|SERF_RAD_BOOGIE;

Unfortunately, the RAD_BOOGIE mode uses 8 bits, no parity, no matter
what I say in preferences.  That means that the teeming masses of us
who need 7 bit communication (with parity) are still out of luck.

I don't understand the serial device well enough to know whether I
could just delete that SERF_RAD_BOOGIE (what a name!) and have it
still work... I bet that even if it did run that way, DNET would fail;
it probably has built-in dependencies on 8-bit communications.

KERMIT is able to work over 7-bit lines by somehow encoding 8-bit
files into 7 bits - maybe this can be added to DNET?  (Only for file
transfers!  For terminal sessions, 7 bits is fine.)

Heck, while I'm at it: it would be neat to have an AREXX port in
DNET, too.  I want to be able to edit my source files at home, press
a key, and have the editor upload only the changes (I've only
got 2400 baud), compile the file on UNIX (using cc, latex, or
whatever is appropriate for the file), download the error list,
and automatically move the cursor to the first error in the file.
Besides being handy, this would also make my friends with Macs
green with envy... :-)

But wait, there's more!  (If you're not convinced that the AREXX port
would be handy.)  Run your favorite ray tracer on UNIX, and have it
automatically pop open a screen to show you each image as it finishes.
Make an icon-window interface to UNIX.  I love thinking these things
up...

OK, I admit that actually designing the interface would be hard.  One
has to create a script language for DNET, and try not to leave out
anything that anyone would ever want.  Should there be a script
handler on the unix side?  (Probably - so that macro commands could
be sent back and forth as atomic units, rather than translating
them into shell commands and then trying to translate the unpredictable
results back into AREXX commands and status info.  This would also
save communication time when long, complex scripts are running -
since each DNET macro keyword could be encoded as a single byte for
transmission.)  If done well, the AREXX interface would allow many
amiga programs, even some without AREXX ports, to operate as DNET
servers without modification.  The idea is to be able to add new
servers just by writing scripts...

Hey.  How about a DPIPE device that runs over DNET, or a DNET device
which remotely mounts your UNIX directory on DNET:.  I'm just
bursting with silly ideas at 5 AM.

	copy dpipe:~/mbox to speak:  (oh boy.)

   - Ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
  Where your eyes don't go a filthy scarecrow waves its broomstick arms and
  does a parody of each unconscious thing you do.   When you turn around to
look it's gone behind you; on its face it's wearing your confused expression...

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (02/26/89)

Ideally, yes, you should rmount the unix file system. And make the AREXX
rexec shell scripts. I would LOVE to be able to use Browser to manipulate my
UNIX files...
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

schemers@egrunix.UUCP (Roland Schemers III) (12/01/89)

Thanx to Matt for posting the fix to DNET. After getting the new
version and setting parity to even it works great! Getfiles
is a lot quicker then kermit ( I timed it at twice as fast!), and its
nice being able to open up multiple windows on unix, each with its
own shell.

Two questions:

1. Any plans for a full screen fterm (24x80)?
2. Is there a DNET device out for remote file system access?
   I seem to recall this be mentioned by Matt, but since I didn't have
   an 8-bit connection to unix I wasn't payng attention.

Thanx again, roland
--
Roland J. Schemers III                  'Real programmers don't write specs.
Systems Programmer                      Users should be grateful for whatever

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (03/07/90)

-----------------
I have been running every version of Dnet connected to a Sun 3 until
this last one. I can't get it to start up correctly. I have both a
hardwired connection (9600 at work), and a modem connection (at home).
I have been through several trial sessions from each end, trying every
option that I could think of to no avail. The best I can do is :

1) Direct connect - startup Dnet on the Sun, start an Fterm, the fterm
fails to connect, the Dnet window pops up & quickly disappears, the
fterm attempts again, ....

2) Modem - startup Dnet on the Sun, but the Amiga Dnet window never
disappears.

Both connections are 8 bit, no parity.

I also know of no one else who has been successful in running the newest
Dnet. Has anyone been able to get the latest version of Dnet running? If
so, was it an 8 bit connection and what did you do?

-----------------
Also, I have been loaned an Telebit Trailblaser for a while & tried to
run Dnet in the PEP (19200) mode, but severe thrashing between Dnet and
the Trailblazer occurred.  My effective throughput is about 600 baud in
PEP mode (needless to say, I went back to 2400 baud). I have tried
about every combination of setup parameters with Dnet & the
trailblaser, but none work. At first it appeard to be a handshake
problem, with dnet maybe loosing characters when the TB spits out a
burst of chars, but I'm not so sure now.

Anyone gotten Dnet to run in PEP mode with the Trailblazer?

-----------------
Last question (Phew): anyone able to get a "draw 8196" to work
consistently? Usually I just get:

%draw 8196
DRAW V1.01 11 March 1988 Connecting
Connected
Amiga CLI   running
                   New Shell process 11
                                       11>

Note the lack of CR's. At this point, everything just hangs. I have an
AmigaDos process running, but can't connect with it, and Dnet is still
running correctly (In fact I am typing this in a fterm, just launched
another fterm, and did the draw 8196 & Snap'ped the info from the other
fterm window). Also note that it works correctly every once in a
while.

Thanks Much,
Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        "Anything worth asking for is worth over asking for"

ml@ecerl3.ncsu.edu (03/07/90)

In a previous article, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) wrote:

]Also, I have been loaned an Telebit Trailblaser for a while & tried to
]run Dnet in the PEP (19200) mode, but severe thrashing between Dnet and
]the Trailblazer occurred.  My effective throughput is about 600 baud in
]PEP mode (needless to say, I went back to 2400 baud). I have tried
]about every combination of setup parameters with Dnet & the
]trailblaser, but none work. At first it appeard to be a handshake
]problem, with dnet maybe loosing characters when the TB spits out a
]burst of chars, but I'm not so sure now.

I think that this particular problem lies outside of DNET.  I also got
ahold of a trailblazer for awhile, and ran into the same difficulties.
I was just using terminal emulators doing file transfers (typically
Zmodem in JRCOMM, various protocols in other things like Handshake or
VT100) and I found that my throughput always seemed to be around 600
cps (about 570 actually).  JRCOMM's info window showed that packets were
continuously being resent (about 1 in every 4 or 5 packets) ... I strongly
suspect that this IS some sort of handshaking problem.

I also did a lot of experimenting with handshaking options, to no avail.
The proper way to configure this beastie should be to enable hardware
handshaking (CTS,RTS).  I turned CTS/RTS handshaking on via Preferences,
inside my terminal program, and within the modem (setting some register).
Nothing seem to help (let me know if you have answers!).

A semi-related question about throughput:

The modem does all sorts of data compression techniques to get its speed.
Protocols like Zmodem also do compression.
Will the compression done by Zmodem (or "compress" or "arc" or "squeeze"...)
likely *decrease* the transmission rate when using data compression modes
(MNP or PEP) on the modem?  (since applying a compression technique to data
which is already well compressed often yields *worse* results).

             ==[ ml@eceris.ncsu.edu (128.109.135.109) ]==

	I'm currently hooked up using Dnet 2.0. That is the latest
version I could find. I'm using a 9,600 baud 8 bit setup using fterm.
Not one problem. I had problems using 19,200 baud, which my setup is
capable of, the startup window would lock up midway during connecting
to the unix machine. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with dnet
(can you give me some important info by email, thanks) so I can't help
you with the rest. If you want, send me email and I'll give you some
more specifics. I assume you replaced both the Amiga and Unix versions
of dnet. Yours,
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (03/08/90)

In article <25358@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>I have been running every version of Dnet connected to a Sun 3 until
>this last one. I can't get it to start up correctly. I have both a
>hardwired connection (9600 at work), and a modem connection (at home).
>I have been through several trial sessions from each end, trying every
>option that I could think of to no avail. The best I can do is :
>
>1) Direct connect - startup Dnet on the Sun, start an Fterm, the fterm
>fails to connect, the Dnet window pops up & quickly disappears, the
>fterm attempts again, ....
>
>2) Modem - startup Dnet on the Sun, but the Amiga Dnet window never
>disappears.
>
>Both connections are 8 bit, no parity.

>Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
>        "Anything worth asking for is worth over asking for"

Well, after what sound like similar problems, I finally succeeded in
getting dnet 2.10 to run.  Onthe Amiga end I start it with this part of
a shell script.

Path Comm:dnet/bin add
assign dnet: Comm:dnet
assign >NIL: DPIPE: exists
if warn
    mount DPIPE:
    mount NULL:
endif
cd Comm:dnet/bin
run dnet -X -P0 -b2400 -Z0 -m0

After I get logged into the Unix I then run  dnet by typing

dnet -m0

Of course dnet.servers and dnet.config are copied into s: and altered
to reflect that the binaries are located in Comm:dnet/bin.
Interestingly, you don't need dnet.servers and dnet.config to
login and start dnet on the Unix.  I was able to get the Fterm going
but wasn't getting putfiles on the Unix to work.  Then I thought about
dnet.servers and copied it into s: and modified it. Now putfiles works.

I run dnet over a modem with 8-bit connection and no parity.
Hope this helps,

--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (03/08/90)

I forgot to mention that I had the hanging Fterm when I statrted the Unix
end with

dnet

The flag -m0 gets the 8 bit no parity I think on the Unix end. Getting
that dnet 2.10 to run was the source of great consternation for about
3 weeks.  I am so glad that I became sick two weeks ago and had the time to
sit and really bang away to get it working.

--

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (03/08/90)

In article <1990Mar7.000117.6984@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ml@ecerl3.UUCP () writes:
>In a previous article, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) wrote:
>
>]Also, I have been loaned an Telebit Trailblaser for a while & tried to
>]run Dnet in the PEP (19200) mode, but severe thrashing between Dnet and
>
>I think that this particular problem lies outside of DNET.  I also got
>ahold of a trailblazer for awhile, and ran into the same difficulties.
>I was just using terminal emulators doing file transfers (typically
>Zmodem in JRCOMM, various protocols in other things like Handshake or
>VT100) and I found that my throughput always seemed to be around 600
>cps (about 570 actually).  JRCOMM's info window showed that packets were
>continuously being resent (about 1 in every 4 or 5 packets) ... I strongly
>suspect that this IS some sort of handshaking problem.

Handshake can be a big problem above 2400 baud. I found that with
normal term. programs, RTS/CTS works the best. Actually, as I mentioned
in my original posting, I can get DNET to work fine at 2400 with the
Trailblazer. The higher speeds are the problem.

>I also did a lot of experimenting with handshaking options, to no avail.
>The proper way to configure this beastie should be to enable hardware
>handshaking (CTS,RTS).  I turned CTS/RTS handshaking on via Preferences,
>inside my terminal program, and within the modem (setting some register).
>Nothing seem to help (let me know if you have answers!).

This works fine for those programs which don't go and turn off RTS/CTS.
Running Xmodem with the Trailblazer in xmodem protocol at 19200 really
rips when you have a term program which can pull it in fast enough :^)

>The modem does all sorts of data compression techniques to get its speed.

Actually, it gets it's speed by using up to 512 different frequencies,
not so much by using data compression (the statistics reports on
frequencies used, etc. are pretty neat). The MNP protocol is the one
which uses data compression to get the higher speeds from what I
remember (little do I know). PEP can make use of data compression, but
does not require it for the faster speeds.

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (03/08/90)

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>Both connections are 8 bit, no parity.

Stupid Question Time:  are you setting the correct options on the local
DNET?  Remember, it defaults to 7 bit.

>I also know of no one else who has been successful in running the newest
>Dnet. Has anyone been able to get the latest version of Dnet running? If
>so, was it an 8 bit connection and what did you do?

I have a wierd situation regarding Dnet working.  We have a Sytek network
here at school, which is 7 bit even parity.  I have an Amiga in my office
and can run DNET no problem (using -Z2 -P0 startup options).  But, if I
got home and dial into the Sytek network and then log on to my Vax and
try to run, it doesn't work.  No one around here that I know has
managed to get Dnet to work over a Sytek dialup line.  I've had it
working when I dial directly into the Vax and have an 8bit line.  No
problem.

--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

ml@ecerl3.ncsu.edu (03/09/90)

In a previous article, kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) wrote:
]In article <1990Mar7.000117.6984@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ml@ecerl3.UUCP () writes:
]>In a previous article, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) wrote:
]>
]Handshake can be a big problem above 2400 baud....
] ... Actually, as I mentioned
]in my original posting, I can get DNET to work fine at 2400 with the
]Trailblazer. The higher speeds are the problem.

Yes, right.  Just in case there's confusion here, note that I said
~600 Cps (characters per second), NOT ~600 Bps (bits/sec).
2400 bps would be around 240 cps (given that a character takes about 10
bits when you account for stop/start/parity bits).

Even despite the slow result (~600cps) this is still 2 or 3 times faster
than using 2400bps mode; I was just expecting results more on the order
of 900cps or higher (much higher with PEP enabled).

]>The modem does all sorts of data compression techniques to get its speed.
]
]Actually, it gets it's speed by using up to 512 different frequencies,
] ...    The MNP protocol is the one
]which uses data compression to get the higher speeds from what I
]remember (little do I know). PEP can make use of data compression, but
]does not require it for the faster speeds.

OK, I guess I'm laboring under a misconception here.  I thought the
9600 bps rate was achieved using a large symbol set (ie 512 frequencies)
but that the higher rates (up to around 18000 bps -- PEP enabled)
was by adding compression techniques as well.
But I'm no expert here.

My real points in the prior response were:

  1)  It's fast.  Comfortably faster than 2400 bps.
  2)  It wasn't as fast as expected (not really 9600 bps or higher)
  3)  I don't think the modem is the culprit for (2).
  4)  I suspect serial port handshaking IS the culprit.
      No proof.  I could be way off base here.

I just don't want anyone to misread the prior message and think
I was saying that the modem was doing 600 bps which would indeed
be miserably slow.

             ==[ ml@eceris.ncsu.edu (128.109.135.109) ]==

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (03/09/90)

In <1990Mar7.000117.6984@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, ml@ecerl3.ncsu.edu writes:
>       [stuff about DNet handshaking]
>
> A semi-related question about throughput:
>
>The modem does all sorts of data compression techniques to get its speed.
>Protocols like Zmodem also do compression.

    This is an error.

>Will the compression done by Zmodem (or "compress" or "arc" or
>"squeeze"...) likely *decrease* the transmission rate when using data
>compression modes (MNP or PEP) on the modem?  (since applying a
>compression technique to data which is already well compressed often
>yields *worse* results).

   You'll probably get lots of corrections about Zmodem. Anyway, that
 aside, the interesting question is about modem compression and
 offline compression interaction. As far as I know, the only modem
 compression protocol which does not yield worse results is the recently
 standardized V.42bis. This protocol detects expansion and passes an
 offline compressed file untouched.
 <-Harvey

   "I'll help you if I can; I'll kill you if I must.
    I'll kill you if I can; I'll help you if I must.
    The peacock spreads his fan." - L. Cohen
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/10/90)

In article <1990Mar8.231002.21288@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ml@ecerl3.UUCP () writes:
|[...]
|OK, I guess I'm laboring under a misconception here.  I thought the
|9600 bps rate was achieved using a large symbol set (ie 512 frequencies)
|but that the higher rates (up to around 18000 bps -- PEP enabled)
|was by adding compression techniques as well.
|But I'm no expert here.
|
|My real points in the prior response were:
|
|  1)  It's fast.  Comfortably faster than 2400 bps.
|  2)  It wasn't as fast as expected (not really 9600 bps or higher)
|  3)  I don't think the modem is the culprit for (2).
|  4)  I suspect serial port handshaking IS the culprit.
|      No proof.  I could be way off base here.

	The Telebit uses half-duplex communication,
	which can really slow things down for any
	packet-oriented traffic requiring acks
	on an immediate basis. I don't know the
	details of the Dnet protocol but I'm
	pretty sure it uses some kind of end-to-end
	handshaking to guarantee delivery.
	This is incompatible with half-duplex
	technology due to the time it takes for the
	modems to negotiate line turnaround.
	600 cps is pretty good for this kind of
	use on a Telebit - TCP/SLIP is apparently
	even worse in performance using those
	modems.

	Telebits can emulate uucp, xmodem and kermit
	very effectively in terms of throughput, but
	only because of some builtin smarts in the
	firmware. If Dnet was somehow able to be
	emulated, or Dnet able to use one of the
	above protocols for communication, you'd see
	up to 1400 cps throughput...

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

	I was hoping someone could help me with problems I'm having
using dnet with a unix emacs. The machine is a Sun/4 with BSD4.3 I
believe. It is the standard emacs. I have used fterm and ftek all with
the same problems. It appears to be a vt100 emulation deficiency. For
example, if I do a C-z twice to remove a line and bring up, it only
updates the current line and the bottom line. All the other lines are
not changed. Basically, I find myself doing a lot of C-l's. Has anyone
had the same problem or have a solution. I would really appreciate it.
I don't want to have to use VLT for some things and dnet for most
other things. BTW, that brings up another question: is it possible to
use dnet and vlt simultaneously, over the same serial port, with dnet
thinking that vlt is just a client? Thanks,
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

	"I'm a polititian. I lie and steal. When I'm not hugging
babies I'm stealing their lollypops"
		-- Red October (probably mungled)

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar12.212420.3561@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
> I was hoping someone could help me with problems I'm having using
> dnet with a unix emacs. The machine is a Sun/4 with BSD4.3

Suns (at least not yet) don't run Berkeley UNIX.  They run some
varient of SunOS which is (increasingly less) based on Berkeley UNIX.

> It is the standard emacs.

Which standard emacs is that?  :-)

> I have used fterm and ftek all with the same problems. It appears to
> be a vt100 emulation deficiency.

Neither fterm or ftek are VT100 emulators.  Fterm is your best bet, but
don't tell SunOS you're a vt100 (because you're not).  Tell it your
terminal type is ``amiga''.  If you're using SunOS 4, you're all set
(in fact, this is the setup I'm using right now).

If you're still using SunOS 3, get the amiga termcap posted to
comp.sources.amiga (available from xanth.cs.odu.edu as
/usenet/comp.sources.amiga/volume90/unix/amiga.tc-1.2.Z), uncompress
it, save it in a file (say, ``~/amiga.tc''), then:

	setenv TERMCAP ~/amiga.tc
	set term=amiga
	tset

(this assumes you use csh.  The ~/ is important, as the TERMCAP
variable must begin in a / for this to work; echo $TERMCAP to check).

Ask your local UNIX wizard for assistance.
	...tad

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/14/90)

  Which version is the latest? I have one which claims to be dnet 2.10.11
but I believe it is 2.10.13 (Matt says he forgot to change the version
number). I have got it to successfully work in 7 bit mode from my
Telebit T2500 at home but with much thrashing. I've used it at 2400
baud with fairly good luck going from the Amiga to the Sun. However
when I try to use that connection from the Sun to access my Amiga files,
it no longer works. 8-(. I've sent Matt some messages about this
but he hasn't come up with a solution.

  When I was using the previous version of dnet, I had successfully
used the T2500 PEP mode without a problem. However I was never too
impressed with it. Even when using PEP mode with VLT, I only get about
8Kbits/second on file transfers. Well, I'm not really complaining about
it, but it's a long ways from 19.2. Oh, and if I go offline with the
modem it claims to be running at 18040. And I hate the Jerky way
text scrolls when using PEP.

  Jim

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/14/90)

  Dnet's fterm doesn't even attempt to emulate a VT100. Any simularities
are just simularities to an ANSI terminal. I've seen several amiga
termcap entries which seem to work fine with fterm. Check your /etc/termcaps
file to see if you have one, and if so use it.

  Jim

bgriffin@mentor.com (Brian Griffin) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar7.000117.6984@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> you write:
>In a previous article, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) wrote:
>
>]Also, I have been loaned an Telebit Trailblaser for a while & tried to
>]run Dnet in the PEP (19200) mode, but severe thrashing between Dnet and
>]the Trailblazer occurred.  My effective throughput is about 600 baud in
>]PEP mode (needless to say, I went back to 2400 baud). I have tried
>]about every combination of setup parameters with Dnet & the
>]trailblaser, but none work. At first it appeard to be a handshake
>]problem, with dnet maybe loosing characters when the TB spits out a
>]burst of chars, but I'm not so sure now.
>
>I think that this particular problem lies outside of DNET.  I also got
>ahold of a trailblazer for awhile, and ran into the same difficulties.
>I was just using terminal emulators doing file transfers (typically
>Zmodem in JRCOMM, various protocols in other things like Handshake or
>VT100) and I found that my throughput always seemed to be around 600
>cps (about 570 actually).  JRCOMM's info window showed that packets were
>continuously being resent (about 1 in every 4 or 5 packets) ... I strongly
>suspect that this IS some sort of handshaking problem.

I'm currently using a trailblazer T2500 as I type.  I've experenced
the problems you speak of using kermit and xmodem.  The problem is the
modem buffers things and sends stuff in bursts.  This kinda defeats
the high speed transmissions during file transfers since the modem
doesn't know when a packet is finished.  To get around the problem the
modem knows about some common file transfer protocols, specificly
kermit, xmodem/ymodem, and UUCP "g" protocol.  By telling the modem
what file transfer protocol you're using it can then determine when a
packet is done and it will fire it off immediately and turn the ACK
back around.

Now for the tricky part.  You must set register S111 for the protocol
you intend to use before you make your connection.  The modem on the
other end must be setup with the same protocol or be setup to take the
protocol specified by the remote modem (i.e. yours).

After doing this my file transfers became what I expected them to be
(no numbers but it is fast).

If you forget to set the protocol before making the connection or you
want to change it you can force the modems to renegotiate the protocol
as follows:  "Changing this register (S111) after a connection is
established will not change the protocol supported for the session in
progress unless an &R1 command is issued to the modem."  This also
works (I've had to use it several times).  Example:

	+++		-- get modems attention
	OK		-- modem responds
	ats111=10	-- set the protocol (10=kermit)
	OK		-- modem respondsat
	at&R1		-- renegotiate
	OK		-- modem responds
	CONNECT FAST	-- modem responds with new connection
	ato		-- go back online

>I also did a lot of experimenting with handshaking options, to no avail.
>The proper way to configure this beastie should be to enable hardware
>handshaking (CTS,RTS).  I turned CTS/RTS handshaking on via Preferences,
>inside my terminal program, and within the modem (setting some register).
>Nothing seem to help (let me know if you have answers!).

My experience has shown that the handshaking does not matter.  At
least it doesn't seem to affect performance.

>A semi-related question about throughput:
>
>The modem does all sorts of data compression techniques to get its speed.
>Protocols like Zmodem also do compression.
>Will the compression done by Zmodem (or "compress" or "arc" or "squeeze"...)
>likely *decrease* the transmission rate when using data compression modes
>(MNP or PEP) on the modem?  (since applying a compression technique to data
>which is already well compressed often yields *worse* results).

No, I don't believe there is any problem here.

There is a note in my manual that says (and I quote) "For additional
information when configuring the modem for UUCP protocol support, send
electronic mail request, which includes the type of system in which
the modem will be used, to:  {ames,sun,uunet}!telebit!modems  or call
your Telebit Technical Support rep..."  It may be worth sending these
guys some mail about these specific DNET problems.

>             ==[ ml@eceris.ncsu.edu (128.109.135.109) ]==

One final note.  I've experienced some strange behavior when using
emacs on the remote system when I have a protocol defined.  Since
emacs uses alot of control sequences for commands I think the modem
gets confused sometimes thinking a data packet is starting.  I've
never lost data, I just get strange, long periods of delay.  If i
disable the protocl (S111=0) then the problem goes away.  You win
some, you loose some...

Hope this helps.

                                             __
         mntgfx!bgriffin                    /__)      . __
                                           /___)_/-,_/_(_(_/V/_
                                          /

mevans@nprdc.arpa (Mitch Evans) (03/23/90)

Howdy!

	I am trying (unsuccessfully) to run Dnet.  I got the package from
a site using FTP...I believe that it is the latest.  I compiled the program
on my side.  We are using Unix Bsd 4.3 (or whichever one it was that was
supposed to work...I checked at that time).  Dnet compiled, and runs.

	On my end (at home) I call up the University using Dnet.  I run
Dnet on the Unix side, and hit startup on my side.  The Fterm screen comes
up and says "Wait...loading" or something to that effect.  I watch the
pretty little lights on my modem.  Every once in a while it sends some
characters, and then receives some.  The setup stays just like this for
a long time...and is never ready for me to do anything.  Am I doing
something wrong?  I set up my end with the correct baud rate.  I have run
the net checking program, and see that it is receiving "garbage"
characters from the host.  When I turn debug on (on the Unix side), I
see it trying to send packets.

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

				Mitch

jjfeiler@tybalt.caltech.edu (John J. Feiler) (03/29/90)

Well, I finally got dnet up and running on our Sun3 and the CCO vax11/750.
Through much playing around, I finally hit upon the -Z2 switch.  This
allows me to eventually connect, but acts rather strange as I start up.
Here's the only way I've been able to get it to work:

Amiga>  dnet -X -8 -b2400 -Z2

dnet> atdt(whatever)
	CONNECT 2400

at this point, nothing I do has any effect in the dnet window.  no
net prompt, no nothing.  breaks and Ctrl-C do nothing

So, in despair, I try:
start dnet
(fterm window opens  does nothing))

break 2 (from cli)
(fterm closes, small dnet window opens)

now, I finally get a response to typing in dnet window.  However, it does
not echo all characters(presumably due to some kind of parity/bitnumber prob)

I type : connect tybalt
it says:cnncttat   (or something like that)

Finally, I get the login prompt, CORRECTLY
ie, : tybalt login:

from then on, everything goes smoothly.  I can set up multiple
fterms, put/getfiles, etc.

So, the question is, can I straighten out all the startup nonsense, get the
parity's set right, etc. or should I be happy that I finally found a
way to get it to work, and leave it at that?

John Feiler

--
John Feiler	 709 Locust #7	 Pasadena, CA 91101
jjfeiler@tybalt.caltech.edu

deven@rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (04/14/90)

[This has nothing to do with hardware.]

On 3 Apr 90 05:23:07 GMT, theorist@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Charles Callaway) said:

Charles> Also, some friends of mine are trying to decipher DNet for
Charles> the Suns here at UT which runs BSD 4.0.3 and for amiga-amiga
Charles> stuff for our upcoming expo.  Could someone who has completed
Charles> either project post a DETAILED description?  They said
Charles> something to the effect that DNet would not compile on that
Charles> type of operating system.

SunOS 4.0.3 (4.2BSD-based) Unix compiles and runs DNet just fine.  The
biggest problem you have to worry about is the data path.  If you
don't have a VERY clean data path, DNet won't run.  Not that this may
not apply to DNet V2.10+ in 7-bit mode.  However, when I tested DNet
V2.10, I found the 7-bit mode to be EXTREMELY unreliable, and the
protocol (incompatibly modified) crashed frequently.  That is, it
would recieve a packet without any serial errors in transmission,
mis-checksum it and deem it a bad packet.  And keep resending forever.

DNet V2.13 I have (and heard of V2.11, don't know about a V2.12) but I
haven't tested it yet, so I don't know if the 7-bit mode is fixed and
working.  Currently, I am using V2.02L, which works reliably ONCE you
get it running to begin with.  (that can be a bitch, as many can
attest to.)  Regardless, DNet is useful, and worth the effort.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327

cs121jj@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (04/15/90)

/* Written  4:10 am  Apr 14, 1990 by deven@rpi.edu in ux1.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */
/* ---------- "DNet (Re: Positive!!! Possibilities" ---------- */
Currently, I am using V2.02L, which works reliably ONCE you
get it running to begin with.  (that can be a bitch, as many can
attest to.)  Regardless, DNet is useful, and worth the effort.

Deven
--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2151 12th St. Apt. 4, Troy, NY 12180   Phone:  (518) 274-0327
Bitnet:  deven@rpitsmts, userfxb6@rpitsmts     UUCP:  uunet!rpi!deven
Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible.
/* End of text from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */

Yes, but does it work at speeds over 9600 baud?  Also, does Dnet work with
an '030 card?  I have a Courier HST and a GVP 68030 with 8MB of 32-bit ram,
and I'd LOVE to run DNet, but I cannot even get it to do anything...

It runs fine (I hear) on 68000-based Amigas, but how about others?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Nicholson              jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu             GO AMIGA!!!!

hakimian@cs2.cs.wsu.edu (05/31/90)

Has anybody ported DNet to an hp9000? I want to be able to run in on our
hp9000 but I do not have the time right now to get it up an running.

hakimian@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (08/24/90)

I've heard many wonderful things about DNet.  Is it true that you can download
and other things at the same time over one line?  Does DNet work over a modem?
And finally, where can I get the latest version?

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *
*                              *                 \XX/    *

QUIT

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (08/24/90)

In article <9008231929.AA23381@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
> Is it true that you can download and other things at the same time
> over one line?  Does DNet work over a modem?  And finally, where can
> I get the latest version?

Yes.  Yes.  Via anonymous ftp from ucbvax.berkeley.edu /pub/amiga/dnet.zoo

	...tad

jon@brahms.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) (09/05/90)

Could someone direct me to the latest version of DNET via FTP site?
Thanx for any info.

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch |>>-----------------<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/23/90)

Whoops.  Okay, so DNet doesn't dump core on me anymore.  Thanks to whoever
that was that just posted about DNet for that.

How about, instead of merely showing us a real term to run under DNet, why
not distribute some programming constraints and design hints.  I can think
of a multitude of uses for such a thing...  Like a MUD client that runs through
DNet (now -THAT- could be powerful), and other things.

So how about it, Matt?  Anybody who knows DNet?

-=* Christopher W. Carlson
    niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu
--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

Darin.Arrick@ijcr.fidonet.org (Darin Arrick) (01/27/91)

 If you have used DNet, or know someone who has, please tell me more
about it. The documentation seems a little vague to me as to it's
actual uses. What I want to do is: I have an Amiga at work and an Amiga
at home. Will DNet allow me to call the machine at work and run
programs on it? Can I upload and download from it?
Do I have access to the entire hard drive or only specified dirs?
I have version 2.10.13 on Fred Fish disk #294.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

--- QuickBBS 2.66 (Reg)
 * Origin: I.J.C.R. BBS & B'nai No'ach [Ft.Worth, Texas] (1:130/49)

--
Darin Arrick - via Fidonet node 1:130/49
UUCP: ...!merch!ijcr!Darin.Arrick

newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) (03/05/91)

	I am interested to know if anyone has gotten D-net to
compile on a system running hp-ux.  I couldnt get it to compile
on this system (hp-9000 running hp unix) although i havent put
much effort into, so if anyone could help me or has already done
this I would appreciated any comments..
           Please respond in mail, I cant easily keep
            up with this newsgroup....
                  Tim Newsham
                 newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu

theacct@.ucsc.edu (El hombre de pelo estranja) (04/03/91)

Ok, I have the Dnet archive from uunet.uu.net downloaded and un-lharced. Now
I have some questions.

Firstly:  Do you HAVE to compile certain parts of Dnet or is everything that
          is necessary in dnet:amiga/bin?  If you do have to compile it, can
          I use something other than Lattice? Will DICE work? I have Manx
          3.4a or something, and I'm clueless about porting things to work
          with different compilers.

Secondly: What about the files that are listed in .distfiles for some of the
          directories like s:?  I can see no 'dnet.servers' or 'dnet.config'
          files anywhere in the archive,{ what am I missing?

-jas

Daniel Jalkut -- Amiga guy         | "And didn't I read that these devices
snozer@toast.santa-cruz.ca.us  /// |  go two way and everything I do or say
408-429-8628 -- Day           ///  |  is goin' on a tape somewhere right now
408-423-6926 -- Night       \XX/   |  planted in my cavities?"  -- LARD