[comp.sys.amiga] Screen blankers

filip@alberta.UUCP (Don Filipchuk) (07/20/88)

  Hi everyone,
    Here is my summary of responses I got on screen blankers
   (I use MachII).  As a result of these replies, I now just
   leave my monitor on.  Even as I write, my Amiga at home is
   tracing a picture with the monitor (and screen blanker) on.
       My only concren... will my electric bill go up %250
   as a result of the screen blanker being on constantly?

(notes on screen blankers follow...)
  I have had my A1000 since 1985, and I've had it on practically the
  whole time I've had it.  For technical reasons not worth
  explaining, it really is much better to leave your Amiga on all
  the time - ESPECIALLY the monitor.  The most wear and tear you can
  cause on your monitor (unless you throw it up against the wall
  ;-)), is to turn it on and off.

  All a screen blanker program does is basically open a window
  with a black background whenever it detects no mouse or keyboard
  activity.  When you move the mouse, or hit a key, the screen
  blanker simply destroys the window that it created.
The two most common things to get zapped in a monitor are the
filament and the phosphor on the screen.

If you turn the monitor off and on a lot, each such cycle puts more
wear on the the filament than just leaving it on. Once the filament
goes, go buy another tube at $200.

But if you turn it on, and leave the same pattern on the screen
for hours at a time, then everywhere that's bright ages the phosphor,
so that phosphor gets dimmer.
..... [ stuff deleted ]
As should be clear, the answer to your question is
"Leave it on and use the blanker."
With Electronic equipment in general, the fewer times you cycle the
power, the better. Doing this causes thermal expansion and contraction
and produced mechanical stress on the equipment.

The only good reason that I can see for not leaving a monitor on is
that phosphors have a limited use life, and one can get uneven phosphor
"wear" from constant displays.

...[ stuff deleted ]
I have had a monitor switched on almost constantly for almost 2 years
now, and it shows no signs of suffering from it.

    Well there you have it...
            A screen blanker seems to be the way to go...

                             Don

nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) (04/04/91)

Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
If not, why not?

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/04/91)

nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:
>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
>If not, why not?

AGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya saw that silly program on Computer chronicials diden't ya.
(I loved the "Only $40" bit)

several reasons ya DON'T want a program like AFTER DARK

1) The thing puts up stuff on ya screen, a screen blanker is supposed
   to BLANK the screen. What's the diff tween a AFTER DARK and just
   showing a ANIM. (Which is what the program does)

2) The amiga MULTITASKS, the LAST thing ya want is a screen blanker
   that will SLOW down the machine...

Example:

* I start downloading with Zmodem a BIG file, (Takes 10 min)
* I decide to take a quick shower.
* The screen blanker pops up, and (Assuming it's an AFTERDARK kinda thing)
  SLOWS down the machine! thus slows down the downloading.

ICK!!!

get a simple screenblanker, like...... ClockDJ, or somthing..

leave the flying tosters to those who are deserving...

:^)

The more i see the Computer Chronicials the More i'm convinded that
ALL of them should be fired. Espicially that "reviewer" guy.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

In article <1991Apr4.143420.24871@milton.u.washington.edu> nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:
>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
>If not, why not?

Huh? There are THOUSANDS! Some of them really shutting down the screen
to darkness, others doing some faint grahics that won't burn in on the
screen, won't take much processor power but entertain you and signal
you that Amiga is still alive. And the best side of the coin: All those
blanker programs I know are Public Domain, free!

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.143420.24871@milton.u.washington.edu> nemisis@milton.u.washington.edu (nemesis want-to-be) writes:
>Is there any screen blankers for the amiga like AFTER DARK on the MAC?
>If not, why not?

  There is a program on PCQ in the Examples/ dir that is called 'moire',
so I assume it is the same type of screen blanker.

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)