[comp.sys.amiga] Screen blankers for AMIGA

carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au (04/05/91)

Screen Blankers for the Amiga, have you ever seen the MACKIE screen blanker
it gives the best screen show of splines I have ever seen even the ones on the
MAC's don't compare. I use it with JRCOMM when downloading and there is no
slowing up of the downloading at all as I think it takes a lower priority
in the system and it stops everytime the computer needs more processing
power.  It is not quite as elaborate as After Dark but the next bes thing
also the latest version of Dmouse has DLineart which give an animated screen
perforamance as well.--

  __ |\  John Carson                   \   Ph:       (089)466207
 -  -  \  Northern Territory University \  Fax:      (089)466454
/       \ PO Box 40146,CASUARINA,NT,0811 \ Inter: Carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au
\_.--.__/ Australia.
       v            "The best is yet to come when everyone has an AMIGA"

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/05/91)

earson@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:

>Screen Blankers for the Amiga, have you ever seen the MACKIE screen blanker
>it gives the best screen show of splines I have ever seen even the ones on the
>MAC's don't compare. I use it with JRCOMM when downloading and there is no
>slowing up of the downloading at all as I think it takes a lower priority
>in the system and it stops everytime the computer needs more processing
>power.  It is not quite as elaborate as After Dark but the next bes thing
^^^^^^^

Interesting, Wonder HOW it knows when ya need more Power?

>also the latest version of Dmouse has DLineart which give an animated screen
>perforamance as well.--

Well due to a lot of MAC people flaming me about me Flaming AfterDark
i wish to re-state that:

On an Amiga you DO NOT want your screen blanker to take up CPU time.
(OR take very little)

How much time does a Blanker take up? Well you could use Xoper to
measure CPU useage, run xoper, let the blanker kick in.
Wait a little, move ya mouse ands see what Xoper says.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (04/06/91)

In article <yorkw.670853746@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
   >Screen Blankers for the Amiga, have you ever seen the MACKIE screen blanker
   >it gives the best screen show of splines I have ever seen even the ones on the
   >MAC's don't compare. I use it with JRCOMM when downloading and there is no
   >slowing up of the downloading at all as I think it takes a lower priority
   >in the system and it stops everytime the computer needs more processing
   >power.  It is not quite as elaborate as After Dark but the next bes thing
   ^^^^^^^

   Interesting, Wonder HOW it knows when ya need more Power?

Because everyone _always_ needs more processing power :-).

   Well due to a lot of MAC people flaming me about me Flaming AfterDark
   i wish to re-state that:

   On an Amiga you DO NOT want your screen blanker to take up CPU time.
   (OR take very little)

Actually, the quoted segment above is right. Your blanker should run
at very low priority. Then, no matter how much CPU it needs, when a
higher-priority task needs the CPU, the blanker won't interfere with
it. Even if your blanker isn't smart enough to set it's priority low,
you can set it for the blanker. The scheduler makes it all happen
without any more work on your part - that's what the scheduler is for.

	<mke

--
Il brilgue: les toves lubricilleux			Mike Meyer
Se gyrent en vrillant dans le guave,			mwm@pa.dec.com

spectre@OAK.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (04/06/91)

I use a program called PopCLI (gives instant cli window at the touch of
2 keys) which also is a screen blanker.  This is a small program worth
getting.  I have it installed in my startup-sequence.