[comp.sys.amiga] Important Petition/Technology

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (04/11/91)

From ccncsu!purdue!decwrl!ucbvax!pro-angmar.UUCP!awillis Wed Apr 10 13:29:13 MDT 1991

April 5, 1991

To all Users of Personal Computers:

Apple Computer recently asked the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to
allocate frequencies so computer users will be able to transmit and receive
information among personal computers (particularly portable and notebook-style
computers), using radio (instead of cables) in a local radius of about 50
meters indoors.  We need your help to make this possible.

We call this new technology "Data-PCS," for Data Personal Communications
Service.  We want this capability to be usable the way computers communicate on
networks: at high speeds and sharing the network equitably.  Apple has
specifically proposed to the FCC that this capability should be available to
ALL computer manufacturers and users, without requiring radio licenses or
having to pay for using the airwaves.

Radio spectrum is a scarce resource in high demand.  Apple would like your help
in expressing to the FCC the potential value of Data-PCS for computer users
everywhere.  The FCC has formally asked for comments from interested parties.
Apple would appreciate your giving the FCC your ideas about Data-PCS.
Specifically, we hope you will write them in support of our petition.

Data-PCS is a local capability suitable for offices, classrooms, homes. It can
also provide wireless access to wired networks, such as those which can connect
libraries and research centers.

When Data-PCS was introduced in January, Dr. David Nagel, vice president of
Apple's Advanced Technology Group and the signator of Apple's petition to the
FCC, was quoted in the press saying that "This convergence of wireless
communications and computers will dramatically change the nature of computing.
For example, students and teachers would no longer be confined to a rigid
classroom set-up.  Instead, computing and communicationsQand therefore
learningQcould happen any place.  Users in the workplace would enjoy similar
advantages.  Employees would be liberated from the constraints of physical
networks, which would enhance creativity and personal productivity. "

Our petition concludes:

   "Apple's chief executive officer, John Sculley, in a keynote speech at
Educom '87, stated:

      'The key strength of twenty-first century organizations will be not their
size or structure, but their ability to simultaneously unleash and coordinate
the creative contributions of many individuals.'

       Data-PCS is one of the tools that will enable individuals to realize
this vision.  By taking the lead to create a Data-PCS, the FCC will be taking
an essential step to assure that organizations in the United States -- both
educational and commercial -- will be empowered to compete in the twenty first
century and that the United States computer industry will have the versatility
and strength to continue its contributions to our economy and to our society. "

Data-PCS is being received with enthusiastic attention.  The New York Times,
the Wall Street Journal and numerous newspapers, magazines and professional
journals have hailed it; you may have encountered discussions of it there or on
PBS and other network and local stations.

Other computer makers and trade organizations have joined with Apple in
refining and expanding the concepts of Data-PCS, and are providing commentary
to the FCC about its value and how it should be implemented.  Apple officials
are testifying to Congressional committees and addressing professional
organizations on Data-PCS.

But Data-PCS is now a vision, not yet a reality.  It requires enactment of new
federal regulations.  When those regulations are passed, Apple and other
companies can make the investments required to make it real.

To participate, you can write a letter using the reference number the FCC has
assigned our petition: "RM 7618."  You should address and send your letter to:

      Hon. Alfred C. Sikes, Chairman Federal Communications Commission 1919 M
Street, N.W., Room 814 Washington, D.C.  20554

      Reference: Rulemaking Docket No. 7618

We can suggest opening wording to make sure the letter reaches the right
people, but from there on we hope you will use your own terms to explain to the
FCC, and to us, your own visions for collaborative, wireless communications
between and among computers.  Your letter need not be lengthy, but I assure you
that it will be read and appreciated.

Here's a suggested opening to follow the heading above:

    Date Dear Mr. Chairman:

    We (I) understand that Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") has asked the FCC to
allocate spectrum to establish a new radio service ("Data-PCS") for local area
high speed communications among personal computing devices.  We are writing to
urge you to grant Apple's request (RM No. 7618).

    (Please describe in the ongoing letter your views on how this function
could be important to you, and perhaps commentary on special projects you are
doing or would like to do that could be improved by the ability to communicate
without wires.)

                           Respectfully submitted,

                           Name (and title or function , if appropriate)

This is an urgent request.  For maximum impact, your comment should be sent to
arrive by the FCC's initial deadline for comments on APRIL 10.  If received
later, they will be considered in a second round of comments, due MAY 10.

Thank you,

Bill Stevens Manager, Wireless Communications Advanced Technology Group Apple
Computer, Inc.

Albert Willis
INET:  pro-angmar!awillis@alphalpha.com          | America Online: BCS Al
UUCP:..!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!awillis       | GEnie: A.Willis

urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (04/11/91)

On the surface this idea sounds very attractive.
However since the radio spectrum is a very scarce resource,
so scarce that many allocations are decided by a world wide
conference held every 8-10 years, and are signed by governments
as international treaties, the question arises.
Whose radio spectrum allocation is Apple proposing to take away
for this commercial product that it wants to sell?
Will it be the CB radio bands?
Will it be marine bands?
Will it be a piece of some current commercial band allocation?
Perhaps some frequencies now allocated to cellular telephones?
Perhaps some part of the TV radio spectrum? How about taking 2
or 3 UHF channels, which at 6MHZ apiece allows for 12-18MHZ.
This 18 MHZ could be divided into many many, (3600) 5KHZ channels.
And after all who would miss 3 TV channels.
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@unc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@uncmvs.acs.unc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-6501

emmonsl@athena.ecs.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (04/11/91)

In article <14131@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:
>From ccncsu!purdue!decwrl!ucbvax!pro-angmar.UUCP!awillis Wed Apr 10 13:29:13 MDT 1991
>Apple Computer recently asked the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to
>allocate frequencies so computer users will be able to transmit and receive
>information among personal computers (particularly portable and notebook-style
>computers), using radio (instead of cables) in a local radius of about 50
>meters indoors.  We need your help to make this possible.
>
> [ ... deleted ... ]

Hmmm...This already exists...ever hear of Amateur Packet radio?  The
baud rates aren't fast, and use is stricly non-commercial, but at least
there's no silly 50 meter limits.

I won't support such a proposal as the one mentioned about.  The FCC
will simply, in all likelihood, steal more bandwidth from us Amateurs,
as they have continually been doing for the past several years.
Unfortunately there isn't much space left in the RF spectrum...

Well, this doesn't really belong in this newsgroup, so...

			L. Scott Emmons
	emmons@csus.csus.edu  <or>  ...[ucbvax]!ucdavis!csus!emmons
		Packet: kc6nfp@kg6xx.#nocal.ca.usa.na