[comp.sys.amiga] Prolog on the Amiga

martens@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Jul31.180157.11423@oracle.com> jmarvin@oracle.com () writes:

	[ ... ]

>  The ONLY Prolog I know about:

>UNH Prolog
>University of New Hampshire
>Dept. of Computer Science

>Sorry, the address is not on the manuals!  A little long distance
>directory assistance should get you the university, then ask for
>the computer science desk.

>Notes:

>I used McCauley LISP and UNH Prolog for AI coursework at Cal State
>University, Hayward (Hay U!).  No monster programs, so I can't
>judge how they'll do under a heavy load.  Both are interpeters only.

SBProlog is available for the Amiga as well.  I haven't done anything
very big with it, but it seems compatible with the Sun version, and
it's a full prolog, not a subset.  Also, there's a compile predicate,
that translates your program to WAM code, which is interpreted much
faster than straight prolog.

Memory usage seems pretty reasonable, but I don't think I'd bother to
try it with less than a meg of RAM or on a single floppy system.  I've
got a 3 floppy 2.5Meg A1000 running 1.3, and that seems quite
sufficient.

SBProlog is on one of the fish disks, so the price is definitely right.

-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

I think we can make a deal with the Soviets:  they can have all our
tobacco on the condition that they take all our other toxic wastes.

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (08/02/90)

[-]
   If anyone is interested, we are porting CProlog on the amiga.  The port will
really just have the basic functionnality.  When finished we can certainly post
it to a ftp site near you, if enough demand.

   Daniel.

--
    // Daniel Martin				Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!		C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\

cdavis@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Charles Davis) (04/19/91)

Note:  Thanks again to all who responded to my earlier query.  Some users
also expresses an interest in what I discovered.

There are two versions of Stony Brook Prolog (SBProlog)
available.  The Fred Fish disks 140-141 have version 2.3.2, which works
fine.  Version 2.5 is available via FTP from the university of Arizona,
at cs.arizona.edu (128.196.128.118).  The Fish disks are at lots of
places, for instance ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (128.174.5.59).

Note that you need LOTS of memory to run SBProlog, at least 2 MB.  It
seems fairly complete, except ver 2.3.2 has no "listing" or "kill"
facility (but I'm working on that :^))

				Charles Michael Davis
				cdavis@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

				(No cute signature block!  :^)