[comp.sys.amiga] NEW Commodore Upgrade for A1000 Owners!

ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) (05/03/91)

I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.

The funny thing is, you get to keep your A1000. They're not
even asking for it back and the original A1000 monitor you can
use on your A3000 so you don't need to buy another monitor.

I don't think I'll be buying that Rejuvenator board afterall.

/laura

ltaylor@ileaf.com

ckchee@dgp.toronto.edu (Chuan Chee) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>
>The funny thing is, you get to keep your A1000. They're not
>even asking for it back and the original A1000 monitor you can
>use on your A3000 so you don't need to buy another monitor.

Is this offer available in Canada?

dvljrt@cs.umu.se (Joakim Rosqvist) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>
>/laura

Does this offer apply to European users too?
/$DR.HEX$

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May2.212838.1753@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the Amiga newsgroups,
>so maybe you haven't heard the good news yet!  All you A1000 owners
>can stop yer moanin' and groanin'. Commodore just announced a new
>upgrade called the "Power Up Upgrade." What you do is take the
>_original_ cover of your A1000 manual to your nearest dealer,
>with the serial # handwritten on the back of the cover, and they
>will sell you an A3000 for $1849! For this price you get the
>A3000 (sans monitor) with a 16Mhz 68030 and a 50mb hard disk.
>If you want to pay $2249 instead of $1849, you can get a faster
>clock...but now I forgot how fast...25Mhz probably.
>
>ltaylor@ileaf.com

	I've had my Amiga 1000 since 1985. I doubt that I still have the
manual cover. Is there an alternative? Howbout if I take the entire Amiga
in?

-jeff

In article <1991May07.224440.2764@ariel.unm.edu> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>Those darn a**holes, I hate commodore forever now.
>I saw the deal too, about the VIC 20, CBM 64, Amiga 1000/2000/3000
>upgrade deal. Shoot, I bought my Amiga 3000 (16/50) after selling
>my amiga 2000 off to some blood sucker. On student deal I got
>the piece of sh*t. And that is exactly what it is, 2.0 is a gas,
>only 10% of the software I have works with it. The acceleration
>isn't all that noticeable (unless you use 2.0). The hard drive is alright,
>and pretty fast but where the f*ck is that 68040 upgrade.
>Fellow student deal buyers, Commodore is screwing us.
>Screwing the general public too. The worse part about the deal (from
>a once optimistic view-point now turned evil) is that you get to keep
>your old computer. This is one outrageously funny deal, they are even
>offering this crap to VIC 20 users. I wonder if the deal includes
>the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
>To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
>networks. If I could sue you I would.

	Thanks for the insightful, vague commentary. Now,
everyone who agrees with Kiernan please follow up and let us
know? <I love the deafening silence 8>

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) (05/08/91)

10% of his software works with 2.0? he must have only Psygnosis games and some
really old ones at that. <or perhaps just games in general but SOTB doesnt work
on a 3000>

**********************************PiRho****************************************
"All power comes from the barrel of a gun"  //
sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu            \\ // Amiga makes it possible
                                         \X/

In article <D4RL21w161w@nstar.rn.com> tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) writes:
>kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>
>[ much cussin' and swearin' about the latest power upgrade offer]
>
>[ sheesh! This poor sap is Real Unhappy! He keeps goin' on . . .]
>
>[ more drivel and mental bilgewater about how the new deal screws students
>and the general public.]
>
>> the multi-scan (cost me 600 dollars). I'm buying a NeXT or IBM 486.
>> To hell with you Commodore. And I know your employees and lines are on these
>> networks. If I could sue you I would.
>
> And I hope that Jobs and Aikens never have the dirty low down no good
>onery cussedness to dare offer any one else a better price than they offered
>you :-) Life is fair right? Let everybody pay full price and be happy,
>right?
>
>Wake up and smell the decaf, Dude!

	I sure feel sorry for the last guy to buy an 030 NeXT
before they announced the CHEAPER 040 NeXT's! 8=)

>--
>Travis Bissett       NSTAR conferencing site       219-289-0287/317-251-7391
>internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines
>uucp: ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!tbissett            99 file areas - 4300 megabytes
>---  backbone news & mail feeds available - contact larry@nstar.rn.com  ---

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) (05/09/91)

Its not a last year buy, it was done in april of this year.
After the student deal change at the beginning of april.
If it was last year, I wouldn't be yelling. Most of you probably
bought yours last year, nice, now all you have to do
is upgrade the unifinished system with better chips.
The first OS 2.0 stuff was sooo buggy last year that
nobody wanted to deal with it. (none of my music software
would work with it).

 P.S. - Tiger Cub and TAD will not work with my 3000 altogether.

In article <1991May08.221108.29614@ariel.unm.edu> kholland@hydra.unm.edu (Kiernan Holland) writes:
>Its not a last year buy, it was done in april of this year.
>After the student deal change at the beginning of april.
>If it was last year, I wouldn't be yelling. Most of you probably
>bought yours last year, nice, now all you have to do
>is upgrade the unifinished system with better chips.
>The first OS 2.0 stuff was sooo buggy last year that
>nobody wanted to deal with it. (none of my music software
>would work with it).
>
> P.S. - Tiger Cub and TAD will not work with my 3000 altogether.

	Have you called the makers of the programs, asked about
an upgrade? Are you sure you have the latest version? Maybe there
is a workaround? But you'll never know unless you call up.
	What should Commodore have done, made an announcement 3
months in advance that they'd be having a discount program now? I
don't think IBM gave any of their customers notice when they just
lowered their prices. Same with everyone else.
	You can go to your dealer and get 2.03 for free, which
has a few fewer bugs than 2.02. Though 2.02 is very solid and
most problems are the program's faults. And when 2.0 does finally
come out in ROM, be rest assured you'll get a free upgrade.
	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May13.172116.1@wombat.newcastle.edu.au> c8927218@wombat.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>In article <1991May8.012740.26800@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Homicidal Lunatic) writes:
>>

>> 10% of his software works with 2.0? he must have only Psygnosis games and some
>> really old ones at that. <or perhaps just games in general but SOTB doesnt work
>> on a 3000>
>>

>Who buys a 3000 for games ???
>
>I haven't found a utility that won't run on the 3000 yet (SA4D requires 1.3)
>, although heaps of games don't work...but who cares ?
>
>Robert.

What I was saying was in response to someone who said only 10% of their soft-
ware worked on their A3000 <it wasnt clear if it was under 2.0 or not> and
since I know most non-games programs work fine on the 3000, i merely assumed
this person had an abundance of games esp. older psygnosis ones.