[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 3000

donw@beaujolais (Don White) (04/16/88)

[ Oh no! A new monster! It's! ... It's! ..... It's the LINE BARFER!!!!!]
[HJGUGVO&TF:KJBN"KLJN"KJH{O*YU(*^*^%R^(%EYRCLJHB"KJH)OIU*&(*^&*)&^*&^T*]

     Wouldn't it be nice if ALL the current Amy NTSC graphics modes were kept
  as a SUBSET of the overall graphics capability? That way, it would still
  be THE desktop video machine, AND it could service those Hi Res-ophiles!
  (1000x800 grin, or 2000x2000 grin grin, or 1Meg x 1Meg grin of wooly
  mammoth proportions)

  Don White
  Box 271177
  Concord, CA.
  94527-1177

In article <549@zehntel.UUCP> donw@beaujolais (Don White) writes:
>[ Oh no! A new monster! It's! ... It's! ..... It's the LINE BARFER!!!!!]
>[HJGUGVO&TF:KJBN"KLJN"KJH{O*YU(*^*^%R^(%EYRCLJHB"KJH)OIU*&(*^&*)&^*&^T*]
>
>     Wouldn't it be nice if ALL the current Amy NTSC graphics modes were kept
>  as a SUBSET of the overall graphics capability? That way, it would still
>  be THE desktop video machine, AND it could service those Hi Res-ophiles!
>  (1000x800 grin, or 2000x2000 grin grin, or 1Meg x 1Meg grin of wooly
>  mammoth proportions)

The problem is, sport, that monitors in this range cost more than
a used porsche.

You really think you can sell a $2000 system that needs a $3000 monitor ?
(1K x 1K Non-interlaced)

As for 2000 x 2000, siggraph is coming up this summer, go there
and look at the nice 2K by 2K monitors. Then ask the price. Make
sure you have one of those nice shopping bag things they give away
to catch your jaw as it drops off your face.

--
   Five tacos, one taco burger. Do you know where the American Dream is ?
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (04/22/88)

["Washinton DC, too small to be a state, too large to be an asylum"]

In article <3467@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>As for 2000 x 2000, siggraph is coming up this summer, go there
>and look at the nice 2K by 2K monitors. Then ask the price. Make
>sure you have one of those nice shopping bag things they give away
>to catch your jaw as it drops off your face.

We just got a real nify monitor here, 2Kx2Kx8bits. Oh, it's 30" across.
I've been trying to figure out if my amiga case could support 150 pounds,
hmm, maybe with some reinforced styrene. . .

Price you say?? Only 60 grand, a small price to pay for all that
free radiation o-).

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"After all, isn't our only real purpose in life merely to make the person

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) (04/23/88)

-
-We just got a real nify monitor here, 2Kx2Kx8bits. Oh, it's 30" across.
-I've been trying to figure out if my amiga case could support 150 pounds,
-hmm, maybe with some reinforced styrene. . .
-
-Price you say?? Only 60 grand, a small price to pay for all that
-free radiation o-).

	I remembered that there was this thing in InfoWorld a while
back about Atari's rumored 1024 x 1024 RGB which was going to sell for
less than $600.  Whatever happened to it (gee I wondered  8) ???
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

detert@lognet2.arpa (CMS David K. Detert) (11/09/88)

You beat me to the punch (and after I had already typed all that in too).
Anyway, it's interesting sometimes to see what the messy DOS rags are
syaing about us these days, even if only in the rumor sections.  Dave

CMSgt David K Detert             ARPANet:  detert<at>lognet2.arpa

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/10/88)

Anybody read the "notes from the filed" page in this week's
Infoworld magazine?  An interesting teaser is offered:

"Amigas in every pot.  ... On this "kinder, gentler" theme, a
thousand points of light have been shining recently from Commodore
- makers of the best-selling computer in Germany - indicating that
the 68020-based Amiga 2500 and the 68030-based Amiga 3000 will be
seen at Comdex.

I like the 3000, which has a 19.4 MHz 68030, a 68882 floating-point
chip, and an 80386 on the motherboard.  The hermaphroditic machine
comes with five Amiga slots, five AT slots, 2 megs of RAM
expandable to 16, and compatibility with both Amiga and DOS
software.  The price is $5,200, with a megapixel color display and
an 80-meg SCSI drive."

Remember, this stuff is just rumor material.  ..but it is fun to
imagine what one could do with such a machine.  I still remeber the
almost-existed Commodore 900 which never got out of prototype, so
I'm not going to start holding my breath until I can actually touch
this one at my dealer.  I wouldn't take the quoted price too
seriously either.

--Bill

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (07/30/89)

           An Amiga 3000.
           Well, it will probably be 18 months too late, but I still want
           my Ranger.  Hallelujah, Commodore.  I can't wait.
                                                   - LH

boottrax@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Boot Trax) (08/04/89)

  This may be a question that has been floating around the net for some time
now but I still am wondering... Since the Amiga 300 has been floating around
the drawing table for some time, is there a release date on that system?

  I remember when I bought my 2000 and I traded in my 1000 for it plus 1000
dollars, would and deals like that be floating around marketers heads now?

 anyways.. please reply through mail if you would, thanks..

					Perry

--

 .--0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0--.
(           Boot Trax		 )   'Undermine their pompous authority,      )

451061%UOTTAWA.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (Valentin Pepelea) (08/28/89)

Since so many people are raving about the fictional Amiga 3000, let me do
so too. What follows is my guesstimate of what is coming, from my knowledge
of the Amiga's architecture, random ramblings on the net and my shiny iron
ring.

Disclaimer: I did not have any contact with any of the Commodore Engineering
            people, and in fact, all my mail to Dave Haynie has never been
            replied to.  :-(  So take this for what it's worth.

It will have a 68030 running at 25 MHz along with a 68882 FFP running at other
speeds up to 33 MHz. (for now) Asynchronous design. Comes with standard 4 Megs
of 32-bit memory, expandable on board to 8 Megs. This is gonna be a real Unix
work station, so it'll a big hard drive, like 300 Megs. Perhaps optical like
on the previous NeXt. And a tape drive will be there too.

Graphics chips? Yup, like ususal. No extra features for now, but they will have
a 32-bit bus. No extra colours, no extra display modes. Just the usual ECS
features.

Monitor? The usual. The Moniterm A2024 will be demoed, but the classical
A1080 will do. No surprises here.

Slotimos? Heh, of course. The new Zorro III 32-bit slots. Five of them. But
these will be rather neat. They will actually be divided in two. The 16-bit
Zorro II card will still fit in, just like on the I*M AT machines.

Standard SCSI interface on board? Well, if SCSI can transfer 32 bits at a time,
yes. Otherwise a simple 2090 will plug into one of the Zorro III slots. That
will allow you to plug in an ESDI interface later on. Ethernet, slim, thick
and of course, obese. Though the new obese Ethernet plug will be names Super
Ethernet instead by one of the marketroids.  :-)

Case? Nope, no computer-aided-software-engineering package included.  :-)
Instead you'll get a nice tower case, shaped in the form of the United Nations
building in New York.

Availablility? December 89! Yup, its that close. Will come with OS 1.4 and
a virtual memory handler, though no memory protection will be provided. Oh
yes, I almost forgot to mention, it will also have Unix coming with it. V5.3,
no BSD extensions. X-Windows and a proprietary window manager included too.

Price? Heh. Only $7000. Cash, Visa and Master-Card accepted.

So, how close do I come to reality?

Valentin
The godess of democracy? "The           Name:   Valentin Pepelea
tyrants may destroy a statue,           Phonet: (613) 231-7476
but they cannot kill a god."            Bitnet: 451061@Uottawa.bitnet
                                        Usenet: Use cunyvm.cuny.edu gate
                   - Confucius          Planet: 451061@acadvm1.UOttawa.CA

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (01/05/90)

Latest piece of news from Infoworld, Jan , 1990 in Robert X.
Cringeley's column of rumors etc..

"....according to Commodore head honcho Irving Gould, who talked
about it recently in New Zealand...

According to Gould, the 25 MHz 68030 based machine will have Unix
System V, Release 4 and the ABI (Applications Binary Interface) for
 the Motorola 68030, allowing it to run any 68030 ABI software.

Other Commodore sources say that the unit will be price competetive,
bundling a color monitor, 300-megabyte hard disk, and about 6
megabytes of RAM into a system priced at about $7,000."

Can anyone enlighten us about the ABI ?? I seem to remember something
similar to this but I thought it was about the MC88000 machines.

mark
 hubey@pilot.njin.net  |  hubey@apollo.montclair.edu | ...!rutgers!njin!hubey

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (03/11/90)

   There have been many rumours flying around about the '3000 for a
long time.  The one thing that isn't rumour about it is that it will
not be out for a while: at least another year at the earliest.

   I can say one thing about the Amiga 3000: it had better be powerful.
Commodore has been dragging their feet so long with it that, if it isn't
extremely powerful, it will be out-of-date the day it hits the market.
There is just too much competition from IBM, Compaq, and Apple for
Commodore to succeed in producing an under-powered machine after too-\
long a wait.

   By 'extemely powerful' I mean the following features:
   A 68040 running @ 25Mhz, 32-bit chipset running at the same speed,
and a full-color resolution of at least 1280x800 non-interlaced.  If
Commodore does wait a full year before releasing this machine, it had
better not use the 68030.  By time this machine hits the market, it
will be competing head-to-head with 68040 and 80486 machines, so it
must also use a 68040 in order to be competitive.

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (03/11/90)

In article <13479@baldrick.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   There have been many rumours flying around about the '3000 for a
>long time.  The one thing that isn't rumour about it is that it will
>not be out for a while: at least another year at the earliest.

Where do people get these "facts"?  This is a rumour, and probably not
even a true one.

-Dan

>   There have been many rumours flying around about the '3000 for a
>long time.  The one thing that isn't rumour about it is that it will
>not be out for a while: at least another year at the earliest.

Even better, make a SPARC Amiga. Yeah I know everything
would need to be recompiled and all that crap, but you can
only go so far with 68000 based machines.

It would be the second (that I know of at lesat) popular (if you
consider AmigaOS popular) operating system for multiple architectures.
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/11/90)

In article <6857@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:

>Even better, make a SPARC Amiga. Yeah I know everything
>would need to be recompiled and all that crap, but you can
>only go so far with 68000 based machines.

Actually, the 68040 is faster than the current SPARCS used in the Sun
4/330 and 4/370(both 17 MIPS) and the 68040 is reported to do 20 MIPS.
Plus the fact it has an on board FPU...

-Dino Khoe

Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (03/12/90)

In article <3944@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>In article <6857@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>Actually, the 68040 is faster than the current SPARCS used in the Sun
>4/330 and 4/370(both 17 MIPS) and the 68040 is reported to do 20 MIPS.
>Plus the fact it has an on board FPU...
>-Dino Khoe

	Unqualified statements such as yours are meaningless.  Which,
	exactly, 68040 system are you referring to?  Are you talking compute,
	FP, I/O, multitasking performance?  What application is the
	'040 beating the Sparc on?  Aside from hype, that is ;-)
	"Reported to", at least to date, is what Motorola says the '040
	will do running dhrystone (with some questionable, IMHO, string
	optimizations).  I am not saying that the '040 isn't everything
	it is "reported" to be, just that one should not run around
	quoting markethype until the beast is seen and quantified by
	running standard benchmarks (eg SPECmarks) on a real system.

>dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
>New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

					Rick Spanbauer
					State U of NY/Stony Brook

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/12/90)

In article <6360@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:

>	Unqualified statements such as yours are meaningless.  Which,
>	exactly, 68040 system are you referring to?  Are you talking compute,

Meaningless??  I think you are missing the point here...  The original
question was whether to build an Amiga SPARC or 68040, based on pure
processing performance, the 68040 IS Faster...

>	FP, I/O, multitasking performance?  What application is the
>	'040 beating the Sparc on?  Aside from hype, that is ;-)
>	"Reported to", at least to date, is what Motorola says the '040

And you don't think Motorola could meet their own "reported" performance
in the FINAL stages of release?  Have they ever NOT met their reported
figures??

>	will do running dhrystone (with some questionable, IMHO, string
>	optimizations).  I am not saying that the '040 isn't everything
>	it is "reported" to be, just that one should not run around
>	quoting markethype until the beast is seen and quantified by
>	running standard benchmarks (eg SPECmarks) on a real system.

I think you are the one caught in this "markethype" thing...  Do you actually
think that Motorola would make empty claims as to it's processor against a
SPARC?  Maybe it might not run exactly 20 MIPS, but I'm sure they would insist
that their processor be faster than the current SPARC's...  I don't even think
you know much about the 68040... if in fact it does run as "reported", it would
in most aspects beat out a current SPARC... So why don't you think about it
before you go knocking other's words...

>					Rick Spanbauer
>					State U of NY/Stony Brook

-Dino Khoe

Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/12/90)

I don't think you people are getting the point here... I'm not arguing about
processor speed, we are trying to discuss what is best for the Amiga!  Now
can you realistically see Commodore producing a RISC Amiga???

-Dino Khoe

Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/13/90)

In article <6857@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
                          [...]
>Even better, make a SPARC Amiga. Yeah I know everything
>would need to be recompiled and all that crap, but you can
>only go so far with 68000 based machines.
                          [...]
Well, however far that is, it appears to be at least as far as SPARC
(using the same process).  I have seen several claims lately that the new
68040 can outperform SPARC machines running at the same clock speeds.
This of course is not authoritative, since the benchmarks haven't
been released.  However, I think it is premature to announce the
death of the 680X0 family.

--
--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (03/13/90)

In article <13479@baldrick.udel.EDU>, BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>    I can say one thing about the Amiga 3000: it had better be powerful.
>
>    By 'extemely powerful' I mean the following features:
>    A 68040 running @ 25Mhz, 32-bit chipset running at the same speed,
> and a full-color resolution of at least 1280x800 non-interlaced.  If
> Commodore does wait a full year before releasing this machine, it had
> better not use the 68030.  By time this machine hits the market, it
> will be competing head-to-head with 68040 and 80486 machines, so it
> must also use a 68040 in order to be competitive.

I agree with most of this reasoning, but don't count on that kind of standard
resolution.  Extremely high-res color means big bucks & big RAM.  A quick
calculation shows that a 1280 x 800 screen with only 4096 colors (12 planes)
occupies 1.5 Megs for a single still image.  The A3000 had better have a 32
bit chipset though.  If they don't redesign that, the whole thing is probably
a waste of time.  That's one bottleneck that needs to be eliminated.

/\=======================================================================/\
\/ Reality: Steve Snodgrass  |"Volts embodied intent, and Amps were the  \/
/\  -^-^- Cyberspace -^-^-   | runners who carried out those intentions, /\
\/ GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu| against the Ohms." -Gregory Benford, ToL  \/
/\ GRX1042@uoft02.BITNET     | Sleep is a luxury, spare time a myth. -me /\
\/ uoft02::GRX1042 (DECnet)  | Recumbent Amigas - the only way to hack.  \/

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (03/13/90)

In article <3951@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>In article <6360@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
>
>>	Unqualified statements such as yours are meaningless.  Which,
>>	exactly, 68040 system are you referring to?  Are you talking compute,
>
>Meaningless??  I think you are missing the point here...  The original
>question was whether to build an Amiga SPARC or 68040, based on pure
>processing performance, the 68040 IS Faster...
			     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Faster than *what*?  A Sparc clocked at equivalent rate?  Faster than
	a 33 mHz Sparc?  What exactly are you saying?  That a 1994 80 mHz '040
	is faster than a 1989 20 mHz Sparcstation-1?  You are making a statement
	without qualifying it, thus it is meaningless.  Motorola claims the
	'040 to have an CPI that is roughly the same as some current RISC
	chips, so that would indicate for some applications, at the same clock
	speed and using '040 instructions that are pipelined, it *might* (if
	Motorola marketspeak is roughly true) run same speed as current Sparc.

>And you don't think Motorola could meet their own "reported" performance
>in the FINAL stages of release?  Have they ever NOT met their reported
>figures??

	Yes, they can meet their "reported" performance if they only
	state it to be 20 mips.  Without qualifying how they measure
	a MIP then it could be 20 mips of NOP or 20 MIPS of FP in the
	extremes.

>I think you are the one caught in this "markethype" thing...  Do you actually
>think that Motorola would make empty claims as to it's processor against a
>SPARC?  Maybe it might not run exactly 20 MIPS, but I'm sure they would insist
>that their processor be faster than the current SPARC's...  I don't even think
>you know much about the 68040... if in fact it does run as "reported", it would
>in most aspects beat out a current SPARC... So why don't you think about it
>before you go knocking other's words...

	Oh, you mean faster than the Soulborne machine?  Seriously, you
	haven't been around that long if you think every statement a company
	makes, especially about performance, is always met.  Again, comparing
	a machine that exists (Soulborne, SS-1, other Sparc) against a
	machine that isn't released is ridiculous and unfair.  Until there
	is a 68040 that can be SPECMark'ed by someone other than Motorola,
	then the '040 clocks 0 mips in my book.

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (03/14/90)

In article <3952@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:

>I don't think you people are getting the point here... I'm not arguing about
>processor speed, we are trying to discuss what is best for the Amiga!  Now
>can you realistically see Commodore producing a RISC Amiga???

If Commodore were to decide to produce a RISC-based system they would be better
served by choosing the Motorola 88000 rather than the SPARC.  The software
support that is in place through 88OPEN makes it the processor of choice over
the SPARC.  Also, the MIPS and MFLOPS mean relatively little once you wrap
an operating system and application software around a processor.  Non-
application based benchmarks are useless in determining the performance of a
system.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 730-8112

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (03/14/90)

I don't have the BYTE article here with me that gives the information, so
I'm going by memory.

In article <6398@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
>In article <3951@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>>In article <6360@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
>>
>>>	Unqualified statements such as yours are meaningless.  Which,
>>>	exactly, 68040 system are you referring to?  Are you talking compute,
>>
>>Meaningless??  I think you are missing the point here...  The original
>>question was whether to build an Amiga SPARC or 68040, based on pure
>>processing performance, the 68040 IS Faster...
>			     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>	Faster than *what*?  A Sparc clocked at equivalent rate?

From what I remember of the article, the 68040 is faster than a SPARC of the
SAME clock rate (25 MHz).

>>And you don't think Motorola could meet their own "reported" performance
>>in the FINAL stages of release?  Have they ever NOT met their reported
>>figures??
>
>	Yes, they can meet their "reported" performance if they only
>	state it to be 20 mips.  Without qualifying how they measure
>	a MIP then it could be 20 mips of NOP or 20 MIPS of FP in the
>	extremes.

20 MIPS of a "typical instruction mix" (whatever that means...).

Using NOP's as the "instructions" is an Intel trick (according to a developer
on the net).

>>                             ...if in fact it does run as "reported", it would
>>in most aspects beat out a current SPARC...

That should, of course, be "a current SPARC with the same clock rate".

>	Oh, you mean faster than the Soulborne machine?  Seriously, you
>	haven't been around that long if you think every statement a company
>	makes, especially about performance, is always met.

Not being a hardware expert, I can only go by what I've heard.  From what
I've heard, Motorola doesn't usually go around blowing up the performance
claims about their CPU's.  If someone out there has any valid reason to
believe otherwise, I invite them to share it with us.

Of course, on usenet, such an invitation is totally unnecessary!

>	                                                       Until there
>	is a 68040 that can be SPECMark'ed by someone other than Motorola,
>	then the '040 clocks 0 mips in my book.

Amazingly, companies don't ALWAYS lie.  Some of them are reasonably truthful,
especially about making performance claims that, a couple of months later,
people can verify as being true or untrue.

Anyway, going back to what started all of this, even if the 68040 is slower
than the SPARC chips (of the same clock rate), the Amiga should still use
a 68040 chip, for compatibility purposes.   Unless the SPARC chip is much, much
faster than the 68040, the SPARC emulating a 680x0 would be much slower than
the 68040 running 680x0 software.

Along the lines of what another person said, *IF* the Amiga 3000 is released
late this year, if it is based on a 68030, it will be VERY anticlimatic.

>>>					Rick Spanbauer
>>>					State U of NY/Stony Brook

Rodney Ricks

--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson                   //

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (03/14/90)

In article <3952@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:

>I don't think you people are getting the point here... I'm not arguing about
>processor speed, we are trying to discuss what is best for the Amiga!  Now
>can you realistically see Commodore producing a RISC Amiga???

	I can realistically see Commodore producing a RISC workstation.
They may not call it an Amiga, though.  (BTW, I have heard nary a rumor
about this so it's speculation on my part.)  And why not?  Apple's
rumored to have an 88000-based machine in the works, IBM has plenty of
different architectures, and the workstation market is growing and
growing.  Heh, Commodore may find the going tough against Sun, DEC,
HP/Apollo, IBM, Integraph, Silicon Graphics...

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/15/90)

In article <6398@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
>In article <3951@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
                                    [...]
>>...based on pure processing performance, the 68040 IS Faster...
                                    [...]
>	without qualifying it, thus it is meaningless.  Motorola claims the
>	'040 to have an CPI that is roughly the same as some current RISC
>	chips, so that would indicate for some applications, at the same clock
>	speed and using '040 instructions that are pipelined, it *might* (if
>	Motorola marketspeak is roughly true) run same speed as current Sparc.
                                    [...]

The statements I have read about code density state that RISC code on the
average is about 1.3 times longer than equivalent CISC code.  Thus, if the
CPI average quoted above for the '040 is for typical 680X0 code (and not
special hand-picked code) then it would be expected that the '040 would
beat SPARC at the same clock speeds.

ie       time spent = CPI(avg) * [# of instructions] * clock speed

If CPI and clock speeds are the same, and CISC is known to require less
instructions on the average, then I don't have a problem with the '040
being faster.  Doesn't necessarilly mean its's so, but it does make sense.

--

admiral@m-5.Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (03/15/90)

In article <100528@convex.convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
> In article <6857@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>                           [...]
> >Even better, make a SPARC Amiga. Yeah I know everything
> >would need to be recompiled and all that crap, but you can
> >only go so far with 68000 based machines.
>                           [...]
> Well, however far that is, it appears to be at least as far as SPARC
> (using the same process).  I have seen several claims lately that the new
> 68040 can outperform SPARC machines running at the same clock speeds.
> This of course is not authoritative, since the benchmarks haven't
> been released.  However, I think it is premature to announce the
> death of the 680X0 family.

More marketing hype comparing apples and oranges.

Yes it can. But we're talking brand new just released 040 to one to two
year old Sparcs. When the new stuff shows up the 040 will be just
another cisc slug. Plus the Sparc software that's out there now doesn't
have to be "enhanced" to run at optimal speed. Just plug and play.

Oh, one more thing. Try to get an 040 from anybody but Motorola.

Still, an 040 or Sparc Amiga would be nice.

Mick

"I think there's a world market for about 5 computers."
        - Thomas J. Watson, Chairman of the Board, IBM (around 1948)

uucp: {anywhere}!sun!admiral

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/16/90)

In article <32389@auc.UUCP> rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
>From what I remember of the article, the 68040 is faster than a SPARC of the
>SAME clock rate (25 MHz).

A short clarification, a point of confusion is often that people
don't specify *which* SPARC chip they are comparing to. SPARC is an
architecture like 68K is an architecture. 68040 is the name Motorola
has given to their latest implementation of the 68K architecture. Probably
the "fastest" implementation of the SPARC architecture is currently
available from Cypress. So is the 68040 faster than the Cypress-SPARC ?
I don't know and neither does BYTE. I agree with Rick, wait till some
uninterested third party runs the SPECmark package on two _systems_
to see which one is the current king in the MIPs wars. Maybe Fred Fish
can tell us how the 68040 compares to the 88000.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (03/16/90)

In article <100578@convex.convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
> In article <6398@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
> >In article <3951@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>                                     [...]
> >>...based on pure processing performance, the 68040 IS Faster...

All of this talk about a 68040 being faster than anything isn't worth
anything until one can get a 68040 in a real system.  So far it is just
a bunch of talk.  The 68040 is just being sampled now.  There is no way
the a company like Commodore is going to be able to get a 68040 based
computer out this year.  Face it, we will be luckly to see a 68030 based
3000 out this year.

When the 68040 is out in systems, it will make some sence to talk about
its speed compared to a sparc or 88K or whatever.  However until there are
some real 68040 systems out it isn't really possible to compare performance.

                                                     Wayne Knapp

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/16/90)

I know that there's been a lot of argument over whether 68040 is faster than a
SPARC, but in my view, they are both fast enough, and discussion of speed is
going to go on forever because processors are usually good at some areas, but
not in others.

What's not discuss is the I/O speed.  I notice a lot of 386 clones these days
running at 33MHZ still have 8MHZ 16-bit AT bus, so the cpu outpaces the external
I/Os.  I am curious to see if this is true for Amiga also.

In article <5812@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) writes:
>the a company like Commodore is going to be able to get a 68040 based
>computer out this year.  Face it, we will be luckly to see a 68030 based
>3000 out this year.
>
>                                                     Wayne Knapp

	Wayne, this isn't directed particularly at you, but unless
people are willing to put up evidence it is ridiculous to keep making
claims about availability. I have heard all sorts of things. Some
people say it probably won't be out next year, other's say that our
favorite hacker Hazy has one on his desk and it'll be out at CeBit.
Basically, if you are a developer you can't say anything and if you
are Commodore you won't say anything. Everyone else is just guessing.
Let's stop the guessing game which someone may accidentally take as
fact!
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

	"I'm a politician. I lie and steal. When I'm not kissing
babies I'm stealing their lollipops"
		-- Red October (probably mungled)

	"Can it core a apple"
		-- Edward Norton (Art Carney)

	"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold
fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (03/16/90)

In article <6360@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
> In article <3944@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
> >In article <6857@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
> >Actually, the 68040 is faster than the current SPARCS used in the Sun
> >4/330 and 4/370(both 17 MIPS) and the 68040 is reported to do 20 MIPS.
>
> 	Unqualified statements such as yours are meaningless.  Which,
> 	'040 beating the Sparc on?  Aside from hype, that is ;-)
> 	"Reported to", at least to date, is what Motorola says the '040

I've used systems based on the entire Motorola family quite extensively.
After each of their major announcements I was fortunate to use some of
earliest systems using the newest chips:

		25MHZ '020 - Apollo DN4000
		33MHZ '030 - Apollo DN4500, HP370
		50MHZ '030 - HP375

One thing I can say about Motorola is that their preliminry quoted numbers are
very close to the fact.  The 50MHZ '030 is a screamer !

--
                                   ________   _________    _______    ________
                                  / _______|  |  ____  \  |  ___  \  / _______|

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (03/17/90)

You also have to remember that MIPS is a relative term...it is practically
useless for comparing similar chips between differant manufacturers (ie: the
'040 and the i486), and even worse when comparing it with different
architectures like CISC and RISC.

In last months UNIX WORLD there was a very good article on all this that said
most companies are actually reporting Vax VUPS and not Vax MIPS...and a VUP is
(I believe) .47 Vax MIPS...

Sean

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (03/20/90)

>	Wayne, this isn't directed particularly at you, but unless
>people are willing to put up evidence it is ridiculous to keep making
>claims about availability. I have heard all sorts of things. Some
>people say it probably won't be out next year, other's say that our
>favorite hacker Hazy has one on his desk and it'll be out at CeBit.
>Basically, if you are a developer you can't say anything and if you
>are Commodore you won't say anything. Everyone else is just guessing.
>Let's stop the guessing game which someone may accidentally take as
>fact!

The following aren't guesses, but things that reliable people said at
AmiEXPO in Washington D.C. this past weekend.

Gail Wellington, CBM special projects, said to expect at least four *BIG*
announcements from Commodore in the next few months.

The editor of Amazing Computing, (sorry, forget his name) said he did more
business after 6:00 pm (when the exhibit hall closed) running around looking
at all of the sneak previews in private rooms.  He also said to expect
a lot of exciting announcements fairly soon.

Jay Miner, father of the Amiga custom chips suspects (he is not under non-
disclosure and has no inside info) that Commodore is well along with a new
set of killer mutant ninja custom chips with features like 2 (easily) to 4
(just maybe) time the speed, 8+ bitplanes, and 6 bits/color (total 256K colors)
and possibily improvements to HAM mode to get all 256K colors on the screen
at once.
Jay also made either a simple mistake or freudian slip an said "Amgia 4000"
when he meant to say "Amiga 3000."  Now that's a rumor.

In article <12735@thorin.cs.unc.edu> tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) writes:
>Gail Wellington, CBM special projects, said to expect at least four *BIG*
>announcements from Commodore in the next few months.
>
>The editor of Amazing Computing, (sorry, forget his name) said he did more
>business after 6:00 pm (when the exhibit hall closed) running around looking
>at all of the sneak previews in private rooms.  He also said to expect
>a lot of exciting announcements fairly soon.
>
>Jay Miner, father of the Amiga custom chips suspects (he is not under non-
>disclosure and has no inside info) that Commodore is well along with a new
>set of killer mutant ninja custom chips with features like 2 (easily) to 4
>(just maybe) time the speed, 8+ bitplanes, and 6 bits/color (total 256K colors)
>and possibily improvements to HAM mode to get all 256K colors on the screen
>at once.
>Jay also made either a simple mistake or freudian slip an said "Amgia 4000"
>when he meant to say "Amiga 3000."  Now that's a rumor.

	Yes, there was a lot of stuff going on at the Expo. It has
been my opinion that things will be out in a few months, but I have no
basis other than a compilation of all the other rumors I've heard. My
message was posted in "the heat of the moment" when I read someone's
comments that the 3000 would probably not be out before the end of
the year. If that's true he's the only one saying it.
	Gail hinted at a lot of things, as well as the fact that a
major company would start supporting the Amiga. She made that comment
after a story about Microsoft's Multimedia conference at which she
descreibed herself as "in the back room". Take that to mean what you
like, I've already made my conclusions %^>
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

	"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold
fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

	NewTek says, "if you are waiting for the toaster, get your
bread ready." Well, I say my bread is now stale so they'd better be
making a microwave!

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (03/20/90)

In article <12735@thorin.cs.unc.edu> tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) writes:
>>	Wayne, this isn't directed particularly at you, but unless
>>people are willing to put up evidence it is ridiculous to keep making

etc...

>The following aren't guesses, but things that reliable people said at
>AmiEXPO in Washington D.C. this past weekend.
>
>Gail Wellington, CBM special projects, said to expect at least four *BIG*
>announcements from Commodore in the next few months.
>
>The editor of Amazing Computing, (sorry, forget his name) said he did more
>business after 6:00 pm (when the exhibit hall closed) running around looking
>at all of the sneak previews in private rooms.  He also said to expect
etc...

>>	-- Ethan
>>
>>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
>>Compu$erve    : 70137,3271

Couldn't some developer get on some machine somewhere under a bogus ID and
leave some news with some facts????  I don't know, maybe we would blow that
off too, but it would be fun anyway.  Just kidding around, see ya, Mike...
  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (The Techies)
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl!slims!ammrk

tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) (03/21/90)

On the subject of other competitors to the much-rumored Amiga 3000:

It appears that the (also much-rumored) Sun SPARClite/SPARCintosh is
due on April 15 (just in time for tax refunds??). Rumors are somewhat
contradictory (just like the A3000 rumors), but the price point
appears to be US$3000, Qty 1. Of course this is almost certainly mono,
*might be* diskless, but will have 4-8MB+, plus a built-in Ethernet,
etc. It won't do video (or sound) worth a ****, but it is an
affordable UNIX box. There are other low-cost SPARCclones waiting in
the wings, from Toshiba, Solbourne and Goldstar. Price points for
these others have been mentioned as low as US$2500 with a disk.

Don't get me wrong. I *love* my Amiga, but I have been waiting so long
for UNIX for this beastie, that my head might be turned.

I hope Commodore gets its act together on marketing *real soon*,
especially in the government sector. Some indication of long-range
plans is not just nice, its a requirement. Its not enough for them to
say "expect some great things in the next 8 months"; when I want to
bid low-cost workstations for a Gov't contract thats going to start in
6-9 months, I need to bid stuff that isn't already on the shelf, now,
but will be then. If I don't, my competitor will, and I lose. I can't
bid Amiga 3000's because I can't get any non-disclosure info out of
Commodore.

Sorry, didn't mean to flame. My point is that Commodore is not the
only game in town, especially in the UNIX market; and as much as I
love my Amiga, I need to see more advertising (to convince our
Contracts people and the Gov't that Commodore is serious), a faster
time to market with new products, and better support for
non-disclosure information.

Tom Perrine (tep)
Logicon (Tactical and Training Systems Division) San Diego CA (619) 455-1330
Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM		GENIE: T.PERRINE
UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep -or- sun!suntan!tots!tep

airola@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Darwin Airola) (04/13/90)

Does anyone have any info. about the Amiga 3000?  What kind of
microprocessor is it going to use?  Will it allow "true"
multitasking?  Etc.?

Thanks,

 _____________________________________ECE_____________________________________
| <omputer EE <*> <omputer EE <*> <omputer EE <*> <omputer EE <*> <omputer EE |
|    If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.  If he |
| sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you    |
| and says, "I repent," forgive him.  Luke 17:3-4                             |
|________________________________Darwin Airola________________________________|

chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) (04/14/90)

In article <4654@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, airola@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Darwin Airola) writes:
> Does anyone have any info. about the Amiga 3000?  What kind of
> microprocessor is it going to use?  Will it allow "true"
> multitasking?  Etc.?

I don't know what kind of processor it will use, but since it will be running
AmigaDOS AND Unix, yes it will have TRUE multitasking.  Unless, of course,
you don't consider either of those to be true multitasking, the Amiga has had
true multitasking since its release.

Chris Everhart
chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu
weverha@hubcap.clemson.edu

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) (05/06/90)

I had an opportunity to test-drive an Amiga 3000 at System Eyes in
Nashua, NH.  Nice box!  After using an A2620 for awhile, I was impressed
with the increased speed of Professional Page V1.31 on the 3000.
Workbench V2 is also a nice piece of work.  I like the close gadget on
the CLI windows!  I did not like the many utlities necessary to
configure the Workbench.   I think I'll miss the old V1.3 Preferences!

The 1950 monitor is also one of the better multiscans I have seen in a
long while.  I suspect more than Amiga users will be buying it!

--

                                /\  /\
                               //\\//\\

boi@richsun.reuter.com (Ken Boi) (05/08/90)

Which machine accomodates more internal expansion cards : the
Amiga 3000 or the Amiga 2000? Or are they the same numbers.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (05/09/90)

In article <885@richsun.UUCP> boi@richs18.richsun.reuter.com.UUCP () writes:
>Which machine accomodates more internal expansion cards : the
>Amiga 3000 or the Amiga 2000? Or are they the same numbers.

The A2000 has 5 Zorro II slots; the A3000 has 4 Zorro III slots.
Therefore the A2000 can hold more cards.

However, the A3000 has the two most popular enhancements built-in, the
hard drive adapter and memory expansion.  The A2000 must use at least
one slot for this (the Commodore A2091 holds both RAM and hard disk).
So you might even consider the A2000 and the A3000 to have the same
number of useful expansion slots.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (05/28/90)

In article <1801@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>>The A2000 has 5 Zorro II slots; the A3000 has 4 Zorro III slots.
>>Therefore the A2000 can hold more cards.
>So if you think you will be using IBM compatibility a lot, you might be
>better off with a 2000. Or buying a separate IBM machine altogether.

A thought..

The backplane is a card which plugs into the motherboard, correct?

Wouldn't it be almost trivial to design a taller box and taller
backplane card?  Therefore one could have more slots with a small
amount of effort on somebody's part.

Pretty ingenious, if true.

	David

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

akcs.zl1ip@oneb (Jon Wiggens) (05/28/90)

It's finally here. The Commodore Amiga 3000, the latest edition to
Commodore's finest family of computers.

The new machine has many impressive features, the best of which ( as usual
for Commodore ) is it's price. At $3495 for the 16MHz model and $3995 for
the 25MHz model, this fabulous machine is a steal. A machine of comparable
ability, such as the Mac IIci is about $3000 more.

The two models are the 3000/16, a 68030/68881-based machine running at 16MHz
and the 3000/25, a 68030/68882 machine running at 25MHz. Obviously, the only
difference in the two machs clocks and coprocessors.

This is the first Amiga of 32-bit architecture, all the internal pathways
are 32 bits wide and use processor's clock. Perhaps the biggest advancement
in this new model over the 500 and the 2000/2500 is the enhanced version of
the custom chip set the defines the Amiga line. This is going to eliminate
that annoying flicker in high resolution modes by using a de-
interlacing/scan doubling capability, which takes interlaced high-resolution
screens and outputs them with flicker to a 31.5-kHz VGA monitor. ( Commodore
is also putting out a new 1950 VGA compatible monitor, but it will work with
any VGA-compatible monitor on the market ).

What seemed to make the Amiga look very unprofessional was it's Workbench
environment. All one would see was a four-color 640- by 200-pixel screen
with visible scan lines between each row of pixels. The Amiga 3000 is going
to use version 2.0, in which Commodore has improved both the look and
functionality of the of the interface by upgrading or rewriting most of the
underlying system software.

The Commodore Amiga 3000 is an extremely impressive piece of machinery and
Commodore is going to be backing it up with strong support. They are, in
fact, going to be porting Unix System 4.0 to the Amiga. Even with the
additional cost of the operating system, it will still provide an
inexpensive yet powerful, Unix workstation.

If anybody has had the pleasure of trying Commodore's new beast, please make
your opinions heard. I am looking forward to hearing if it is all it is

gouty@wizard.cis.ohio-state.edu (douglas walter gouty) (05/29/90)

In article <6914@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>The backplane is a card which plugs into the motherboard, correct?
>
>Wouldn't it be almost trivial to design a taller box and taller
>backplane card?  Therefore one could have more slots with a small
>amount of effort on somebody's part.
>
>Pretty ingenious, if true.
>
>	David

According to the commodore people it is pretty trival to add 1 more Amiga
Slot(ONLY ONE booo.) and "several" more IBM slots.  I am shure that will be
one the first a3000 specific perifs made.

	Not to start any rumors or anything but can you say Amiga 3500?

--
I will not waste chalk...I will not skateboard down the halls...I will not
burp in class...I will not instigate revolution...I will not draw naked ladies

Mario_Capellari@turtle.stgt.sub.org (Mario Capellari) (05/17/91)

In a message dated Mon 13 May 91 20:02, Clark@ssc-Vax (roger Clark Swann)
wrote:

Hello Clark,

 CVC> Regarding the A3000 upgrade plan from C=, I have called around to
 CVC> the local C= dealers in the Seattle area and the three that I
 CVC> talked to say, "We don't carry the A3000 in the 16 MHz flavor."  CVC>
Other comments included, "The 16MHz version is dead."
 CVC> Is this generally the way it is everywhere? Am I forced to go with
 CVC> a 25Mhz box?

Yes I think. Also her in germany whe have a lot of computer shops for commo
amigas, but the only modells I`ve seen was the 3000 with 25 MHz with
different harddisks. I mean the A3000 with "only" 16 MHz is too slow and to
expensive.
Maybe Commo makes a good deal with his A3000 UT. Hopefully the price is ok.

 CVC> One other question; Are the floppies in the A3000 the high density
 CVC> variety? I haven't talked to or read anything that comfirms this
 CVC> one way or the other. Somehow I was thinking that C= had gone to a
CVC>  1.44 MB format on the A3000... Was I just dreaming?

I don`t know. But maybe it`s in the new A3000 UT Computer.

so long...

-- Via DLG Pro v.96 Beta

---
mario capellari            BBS`s for Amiga       greetings
7000 Stuttgart 1           ++49 711 6407689         the
FRG                        ++49 711 6498429    TurtleSystems
UUCP:uunet!mcsun!aragon!tyrell!turtle!mario        .....
---