[comp.sys.amiga] ftp sites

ks3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Karl George Stiefvater) (02/01/89)

I've heard a lot, now, about FTP sites for the Amiga... Is there actually
a FTP program available?  Or does one pull the desired file to your local
mainframe for nearby downloading?  Also, one more thing : I had heard rumors
of AppleTalk compatiblity coming out for the Amiga.  Is this hot air?

-Karl

ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Joseph Kompanek) (02/20/89)

    Could someone tell me where I can find a list of FTP (Internet)
sites that have Amiga archives?

- Drew

Andrew Kompanek                    ARPA: ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University
Class of '92

ertem@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tuna Ertemalp) (03/07/89)

Here is this month's version of list of FTP-sites. There are two
valuable new entries: g.ms.uky.edu and gtss.gatech.edu

Have fun.
Tuna

                           AMIGA FTP-Sites (Mar.5,89)

Any IP-address starting with [;] is something which I couldn't verify.
Some of them were reported to me by other people, but  I never managed
to connect to them. The rest is what I am always  using.  Have fun and
keep me informed  about any new  sites, IP-addresses, and directories,
as well as  the ones which have  been removed, changed, or manipulated
(enough to make this list "old"). I'd appreciate it :-)

Tuna Ertemalp. Ertem@Polya.Stanford.Edu

Name                IP-Address(es)  Directorie(s)
a.cs.uiuc.edu       10.3.0.37       /pub/amiga
                    128.174.5.20
                    128.174.252.1
                    ; 192.5.69.1
cs.utah.edu         128.110.4.21    /pub/amiga-forth
                    ; 10.0.0.4
g.ms.uky.edu        128.163.128.7   /alt.sources.amiga
                                    /comp.sources.amiga
                                    /pub/amiga
gtss.gatech.edu     128.61.4.1      /pub
ix1.cc.utexas.edu   128.83.1.21     /microlib/amiga
ix2.cc.utexas.edu   128.83.1.29     /microlib/amiga
j.cc.purdue.edu     128.210.0.3     /comp.binaries.amiga
                    128.210.9.2     /comp.sources.amiga
                    ; 10.1.0.37
louie.udel.edu      192.5.39.3      /pub/amiga
                    128.175.1.3     /pub/ka9q
                    ; 10.0.0.96
ssyx.ucsc.edu       128.114.133.1   /pub/amiga
swan.ulowell.edu    129.63.1.1      /amiga
                    129.63.224.1
topaz.rutgers.edu   128.6.4.194     /pyr-public/text/mg2/sys/amiga
trantor.umd.edu     128.8.10.14     /info-amiga
                                    /info-amiga/uxe
                                    /pub
ucbvax.berkeley.edu 10.2.0.78       /pub/amiga
                    128.32.133.1
                    128.32.137.3
ucsd.ucsd.edu       128.54.16.1     /hamradio/karn
uunet.uu.net        192.12.141.129  /amiga-sources
                    ; 192.112.141.12
ux.acss.umn.edu     128.101.63.2    /usenix87/Amiga
                                    /usenix87/Editors/Emacs/MicroGnu/sys/amiga
                                    /usenix87/Editors/Emacs/MicroGnu/tty/amiga
uxc.cso.uiuc.edu    10.6.0.94       /utils/cshar
                    128.174.5.50
uxe.cso.uiuc.edu    128.174.5.54    /amiga
                                    /archived_notes/comp.binaries.amiga
xanth.cs.odu.edu    128.82.8.1      /usenet
                                    /amiga
| Mr. Tuna Ertemalp        | Mailbox #659            | Small things together |
| Stanford University      | Crothers Memorial Hall  |   form the quality,   |
| Computer Science MS      | Stanford, CA 94305, USA | But quality is not a  |
| Ertem@Polya.Stanford.Edu | (415) 328-8515          |     small thing!      |

fas2981@ultb.UUCP (F.A. Shea) (07/10/89)

I was wondering if anyone out there could send me the list of
amiga-ftp sites that was posted a while back.  I deleted my copy and
then we got privs.

thanks

frank shea

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (10/04/89)

I've seen several requests for someone make files available via sites
that support anonymous FTP and was wondering what the policy is
concerning anonymous "uploading" of these files.

1.  What, if any, controls are there on uploads?

2.  Which sites desire/accept/tolerate which types of files?

3.  Is there any preferred format? (Zoo???)

Since I run a fairly large BBS and often satisfy these requests, I'd
like some advice on how I can do this effectively without causing any
problems or "stepping on any toes".

   --- Cal Jones
       Sysop, The Hobbit Hole, 904-243-6219, 1200-9600HST
       340 Meg, all Amiga, FREE

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (10/04/89)

In article <631@nigel.udel.EDU> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
   I've seen several requests for someone make files available via sites
   that support anonymous FTP and was wondering what the policy is
   concerning anonymous "uploading" of these files.

Of course, rules vary at each archive site.  In the case of
XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU, anyone is welcome to ``upload'' suitable files into
the directory ``/incoming''.

The file is then available to everyone, but is not safe from
tampering.  It would be best to, after uploading, send mail to
``ftp-bugs@cs.odu.edu'' (as mentioned in /README) indicating that the
file is there and that we're welcome to put it in a permanent
location.

I prefer that .ZOO files be uploaded, but will accept .ARC and .tar.Z
files (and may convert them into .ZOO files myself since I'm prejudiced).

	...tad

hinker@nmtvax.nmt.edu (Paul Hinker) (01/19/90)

I know this was posted recently but since I never dreamed that I
would have anonymous FTP capabilities I didn't keep the post.

Could some kind soul please e-mail (or post if anyone thinks it prudent)
the list of FTP sites that allow anonymous connection and have Amiga(tm)
PD software (re: Fish/Amicus/... ) available.

Thanks,

Things are only impossible until they are not! - Picard (When the Bough Breaks)
---- Paul Hinker ----- hinker@nmtvax.nmt.edu ----- hinker@jupiter.nmt.edu ----

CRM100@psuvm.psu.edu (just guess) (03/29/90)

I am looking for some ftp sites that have sections for Amiga Sources.  Anyone k
now of any.  I'm sure they exist.  I had 1 address awhile ago, but have since l
ost it.
Eric
SafetyPup says "STOP, DROP and ROLL"

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/16/90)

Is there any place that someone who has never used an FTP site can get
information on how to get files?  Do I have to send a request to
a server node somewhere?  I have no idea.  Where do I start?

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (08/21/90)

  One thing I can tell you, is that you won't be able to access FTP sites
from a FIDONET server. But abyway, to contact a FTP server, if you have
FTP on your machine, just type
ftp server.name
most of the servers (the public ones) can be entered using the login
"annonymous" and the password "guest" (or no password). Then you can
transfert the files you want from the server to your machine.

    FTP means you have TCP/IP on your machine, and your machine must also
be on a network that is linked to the internet (i.e. there is a gateway
somewhere that allows you to reach the target machine). And for the
FidoNet, there are only gateways for the Mail and for the news.

   JNM

unhd (The Man With the Golden Gum) (09/19/90)

	Pardon, but may I break in through all this Amiga-mumbo-jumbo
and ask where I might obtain a list Amiga FTP sites or at least
a site that maintains lists of sites in general.. Thanks ....

Fred Slama at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>     |  fgs415@unhd.unh.edu          Only
University Of New Hampshire<<<     |  BitNet: F_SLAMA@UNHH     * A M I G A *

 " Byte me, chew me... I am spicy, I am tart, I am Molly McButter "   - Joe

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/20/90)

fgs415@uunet!unhd (The Man With the Golden Gum) writes:

> 	Pardon, but may I break in through all this Amiga-mumbo-jumbo
> and ask where I might obtain a list Amiga FTP sites or at least
> a site that maintains lists of sites in general.. Thanks ....

> Fred Slama at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>     |  fgs415@unhd.unh.edu          Only
> University Of New Hampshire<<<     |  BitNet: F_SLAMA@UNHH     * A M I G A *
>
>  " Byte me, chew me... I am spicy, I am tart, I am Molly McButter "   - Joe
>
> --
> Fred Slama at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>     |  fgs415@unhd.unh.edu          Only
> University Of New Hampshire<<<     |  BitNet: F_SLAMA@UNHH     * A M I G A *

Sure...I have also added a chart with a list of FTP sites I commonly use.

Address               | Name      | Notes
pilot.njin.net        | Pilot     | Location of FTP List, 130k
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov | New Xanth | The BEST (IMHO) Amiga FTP site
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu      | UX1       | Fish 1-350
a.cs.uiuc.edu         | ?????     | Fish 351-370
mars.ee.msstate.edu   | MarsHotel | I just got rin of the pirate stuff
                      |           | that was on here (with cosysop aid)
uafcseg.uark.edu      | CSEG BBS  | Also, IRC, BBS, (Mars also has BBS)
lancelot.avalon.cs.cmu.edu | ???? | Not much here....
ftp.ecs.clarkston.edu | ?????     | ??????
kukulcan.berkeley.edu | ?????     | ??????
samba.acs.unc.edu     | Samba     | Also has BBS

Remember that lancelot.avalon.cs.cmu.edu has a problem with the "cs .."
or "cd /" commands.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (10/14/90)

I am trying to find, with no luck, a GOOD ftp site for the Amiga.
Maybe I am used to using Terminator.cc.umich.edu for my Atari ST, but
there's GOT to be something with a decent amount of stuff there,
doesn't there?  Where do I get some good virus protection programs?
Latest version of virusx?  Other stuff?

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/15/90)

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:

> I am trying to find, with no luck, a GOOD ftp site for the Amiga.
> Maybe I am used to using Terminator.cc.umich.edu for my Atari ST, but
> there's GOT to be something with a decent amount of stuff there,
> doesn't there?  Where do I get some good virus protection programs?
> Latest version of virusx?  Other stuff?
>

> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> *     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
> *     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Yet with strange eons even death may die-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Try:

abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
a.cs.uiuc.edu
uafcseg.uark.edu

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (11/21/90)

  I have called an ftp site  128.155.23.64 and entered 'anonymous' with
a generic password. The system says I am accepted, displays a paragraph,
some directories (the last 2 are /pub and /usernet), and then says
login accepted. Then, it reads I have been disconected. I tried looking
at the readme file, and I tried recv to possibly download the file, but
I have no idea where to find that file in my directories. Is there someone
who can give me access? When postings come out for ftp sites, are they
always going to have amiga files? Thanks a meg.
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men

proctor@cme.nist.gov (Fred Proctor) (01/11/91)

Can someone e-mail me a list of FTP sites for Amiga software?  A friend of mine
just bought a 500 for his kids, and wants some freeware/shareware to try out.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Fred Proctor
proctor@cme.nist.gov

css1rs@ee.surrey.ac.uk (Russell Smithers) (01/17/91)

	Well its me again, in case you havn't noticed im new around here and I would
like some kind soul to give me some FTP sites numbers as I dont have any!

Russell Smithers,

Computing Assistant, Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
          University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 5XH, England
R.Smithers@cs.surrey.ac.uk                                 +483 571281 x2659

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (01/25/91)

dgick@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (damian gick) writes:

> Could someone please mail me a list of ftp sites with Amiga-related stuff
> on it? (Anonymous ftp sites, that is...)

Damian, I'm new to this stuff but I'm sure I saw some Amiga FTP sites in the
listing of boards here on NSTAR. BTW, howdy neighbor. It might be worth your
while to check out NSTAR (Larry Snyder, sysop) since it enjoys extensive
usenet feeds and internet access -- all for only $30 per year. Call
289-0282... I'm an engineer at Bendix ECD taking a CEE cable course from
Purdue W. Lafayette. Since I wanted to do internet mail with the Prof down
state I tried to get Purdue Tech/ISUB to grant me access to their node. Carl
Perusich was as helpful as he could be but I just couldn't get action from
your alma mater. So NSTAR is not only a bargain but a life saver. Those
commercial public access sites for usenet are expen$ive (e.g. Portal).

--
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com
internet: tbissett%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

"david wyand" <david.wyand@canrem.uucp> (05/18/91)

Hi ALL!

As I'm new to using these nets, I was wondering how to access FTP sites,
maybe more specifically, ab20.larc.nasa.gov, and what files may be
necassary to uncompress or reformat files on the Amiga.
More specifically:
How does one access the sites?
How does one get a listing of files?
Are there any restictions (such as being registered)?

Please E-mail me your resopnses:
UUCP: canrem!david.wyand
Internet: david.wyand%canrem.uucp@lsuc.on.ca
Others: david.wyand@canrem.uucp

Thanx in advance...
                                        -Dave
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host