[comp.sys.amiga] amiga laptops

rfrost@cs.ua.oz.au (Richard Frost) (03/29/90)

	This HAS been done!!! I read some months back that a German
company had produced an Amiga Laptop and put it on display at European
Amiga Expo. It had a trackball like that Mac Laptop I think. A hard disk
was included also.

	I have that news file somewhere at home ... now if I can only
remember which disk is it on... B-).

	If someone has that article easily available please submit it
to C.S.A to get the facts straight!

_          ___       | Email Address:  rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au
I)         I_        |
I\ ichard  I rost    | FidoNet (ADAM LINK BBS): 3:680/805 Richard Frost
---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
                  THE AMIGA, the programmer's dream machine!!

Bewildered Earth Scientist: "How do you re-wire alien equipmnent like that??"
Dr. Who: "Its easy when you've had 900 years experience in alien technology."

rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) (03/29/90)

Here we go, you want it you got it.

The following blurb appeared in the March issue of Amiga Computing, a
European magazine:

PORTABLE AMIGA SOON:
	Gigatron, the German manufacturer of Amiga expansions, is to launch
a portable Amiga at the Hanover Fair.  This uses a redesigned motherboard
and wither a gas plasma or 16 grey scale LCD display.  The gas plasma unit
costs L2,500 and LCD version L1,700.
	Options include up to 2 meg ram and on the mother unit and one of
the new generation of 23ms 2.5 in. hard discs with 20, 40, or 100 meg
capacity.  All machines have slots for standard Amiga 2000 peripherals.
	Commodore has not been involved with the development of the system,
but is aware of the unit.  The machine is expected to go on sale sometime
between April and July.
	Gigatron has a number of other new products in the wings, including
an Aiga with a 68020 on the motherboard which expands the normal Amiga ram
limit from nine meg to 3.6 gigabytes. For more details of UK availability
contact Jerry Howells at Fast Forward Marketing on 021 333 3563.

BTW, the exchange rate is about 1 U.S. dollar = 1.6 British pounds.

                                        Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
Irvine? Where's Irvine?                 a poor Grad student at the
In the heart of the Orange Curtain.     Dept. of Information & Computer Sci.
Oh no! The poor fool.                   Univ. of California, Irvine.

arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (03/29/90)

In article <26111975.5979@paris.ics.uci.edu> rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger
Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
>The following blurb appeared in the March issue of Amiga Computing, a
>European magazine:
> PORTABLE AMIGA SOON:
>	Gigatron, the German manufacturer of Amiga expansions, is to launch
>a portable Amiga at the Hanover Fair.  ... The gas plasma unit
>costs L2,500 and LCD version L1,700.   [details deleted]
>BTW, the exchange rate is about 1 U.S. dollar = 1.6 British pounds.  >

I hate to be picky, but I am very interested, and this matters.  The
current exchange rate is about 1.6 U.S. dollar = 1. British pound.
Therefore, the LCD version would cost about $2700, but if the same
inversion of exchange rates occured in the posted cost (improbable, I
fear), it would cost closer to $1000.  The latter would be a lot more
encouraging.

Pat Palmer

2327berdanr@vms.csd.mu.edu (05/29/91)

I had read in a european magazine that a third party german company has an amiga laptop out on the market ( i have no specs ) I also read that Commodore is designing an amiga laptop and is going to put it in its IBM286 notebook case.  This is just what I read I'm not sure of the validity.

Amiga Or death			Randy Berdan
					2327berd@mucsd.bitnet

iwoehr@isis.cs.du.edu (Ivan Woehr) (06/02/91)

	If this were only true!!! Can anyone at Commodore or anywhere else
validate this?? An Amiga Laptop? Wow. I was considering buying a Macintosh
Laptop as it is the closest thing that there comes to an Amiga. I've
been contemplating an Amiga laptop and wishing that there was one in the
developement stages. Where did you get this info from?

--
   ....            .     .    /\  [*]Reply to:iwoehr@isis.cs.du.edu[*]
   :   :           :.   .:    \/ Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender